homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » valentine's day gift ideas - help (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: valentine's day gift ideas - help
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 06:42      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need some ideas for a Valentine's guy gift that could be mailed easily, be under $30 and not too romantic/mushy. Any ideas out there besides a six pack of beer. [Smile]
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 06:57      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A twelve pack of beer. [Wink]
Well it all depends, what does this person like?

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 07:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meat cleaver. The end results /might/ be mushy, though.

Friends did tell me that I was a kind of sentimental guy. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 08:22      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A book or Barnes & Noble gift card?

Oh wait... that's what I want. [Smile]

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 08:38      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a suggestion here ... but for all the girls on this board, here's my heartfelt plea.

If your boyfriend is teasing you with hints about what he's gotten you, and you're trying to get his roommate to spill the beans, please, for the love of all that is decent and good, DO NOT ASK HIM if your boyfriend got you a dildo. Especially if you've only met him (the roommate) once.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 08, 2006 09:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
besides the manditory propeller beanie, ... iTunes gift card?

heck you could almost throw in a Shuffle too now. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 09:25      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Radio Shack gift card? That plus a box of See's Candy is what Josh is getting.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 09:43      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
If your boyfriend is teasing you with hints about what he's gotten you, and you're trying to get his roommate to spill the beans, please, for the love of all that is decent and good, DO NOT ASK HIM if your boyfriend got you a dildo. Especially if you've only met him (the roommate) once.

ROTFLMAO

I was wondering how you were liking the dorms. Now I know. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 10:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Radio Shack gift card? That plus a box of See's Candy is what Josh is getting.

I forgot Radio Shack still existed.

In Canada, they've all been converted to "The Source by Circuit City." Something about licensing the "Radio Shack" name in Canada expired, and wasn't renewed or something.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 10:37      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would recommend almost anything from this link:

Valentine's Day Dee-Lites...

Especially the "Freudian Slippers", "Cheetos Lip Balm"... and a host of other ways to say "I'm literally crazy about you." [crazy]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 10:53      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A gift card for Craftsman tools?
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 12:00      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sweetheart's threatening something unique for me for VDay. I'm kinda nervous. [Eek!]

I bought him two ApologetiX CDs for $5 each (broken cases!), but the real present is going to be a matted print of my favorite hymn "Amazing Love" by Charles Wesley. And I think I'm gonna give him a wallet-sized picture of me; one from the last batch of professional portraits.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 12:03      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, thanks Magefile. LOL

Those are some good ideas. He tends to buy whatever he wants. And god forbid you buy something even mildly romantic.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 12:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't have a suggestion here ... but for all the girls on this board, here's my heartfelt plea.

magefile: Upon further thought: What's the problem with that? Just tell her that, yes, he bought her one for V-Day...as he wanted her to be able to enjoy that which he couldn't adequately give her. [evil]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 14:39      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to know why a girlfriend would be asking for something like that. Definitely a romance-killer in my mind!

--------------------

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 14:41      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

magefile: Upon further thought: What's the problem with that? Just tell her that, yes, he bought her one for V-Day...as he wanted her to be able to enjoy that which he couldn't adequately give her. [evil]
I like my roommate. And his girlfriend, while mildly annoying, is not bad either. But while the gf is relatively normal, the roomie is very easily embarrassed. I think watching Murderball with him and two female friends this weekend pushed him far enough (the bit on quad sex was ... well, he and the two girls got very uncomfortable, brief though it was). For the moment, at least. [Roll Eyes]

He's been hinting at a mini-fountain he's giving her. How she got "dildo" out of those hints is beyond me.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 16:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops...I guess I'm thinking about someone else with roommate issues. [Wink]

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 16:24      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YaYawoman:
A gift card for Craftsman tools?

Craftsman tools suck nowadays. [Frown] The hand tools aren't completely shite, but still not as good as they used to be. And whatever you do, don't buy Companion brand tools.

/me used to work at Sears

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 16:32      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I want to know why a girlfriend would be asking for something like that. Definitely a romance-killer in my mind!

Check your P/Ms.

--------------------
óMiss Piggy

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 16:46      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peebs. While I agree that Craftsman tools are not up to the quality they were as little as a decade ago. They are still a good buy. I was still puchasing them for my job as an RV Technician. Which was only three years ago BTW.

What still makes Craftsman tools fine for many people is that fact that you don't have to wait up to a week to get a tool replaced, like Snap-On or Matco. And the friendly neighborhood Sears is usually pretty close to where you live. And they are not truly bad quality.

I also have a few of the Champion tools for doing things at work. They are definitely not designed for industrial type work they are fine for home repairs and light duty items.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 16:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest a betta fish but those are hard to ship. I gave my bf a betta fish last year. In a little bowl. About a month later it was swimming in a 30 gallon tank with a whole host of new friends. Geeks. [Roll Eyes]

Burn him a CD of amusing music. Or get him a plush germ from ThinkGeek. [evil]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 17:14      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy him a t-shirt in his size. Doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as it fits him, isn't horribly ugly, and is preferably soft cotton or something really comfy.

Wear it all day. Sleep in it for a night. Wear your perfume, or just let your scent attach itself to it. Smell is one of the most emotionally triggering senses we've got.

Toss in a good paperback and some coffee beans or tea.

I'm assuming that you're in a long-distance thing and have no way of spending time together at the moment...so it's pretty much the closest equivalent to a night in together that you can box up and take to the post office.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 18:01      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demosthenes wrote:
Buy him a t-shirt in his size. Doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as it fits him, isn't horribly ugly, and is preferably soft cotton or something really comfy.

Wear it all day. Sleep in it for a night. Wear your perfume, or just let your scent attach itself to it. Smell is one of the most emotionally triggering senses we've got.

Good lord, you've got a romantic side [Eek!]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 19:50      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That's hot, Demos. I might have to try that for next year.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 20:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demosthenes: Nice. If I didn't think I'd be at the risk of being bludgeoned, I'd go so far as to call it sweet. [Big Grin]

One little comment I'll add - coffee beans hold a strong rich aroma...and shipping them in the same box might overpower the wonderfully treated shirt. Therefore, I'd recommend putting the bag (I presume) of coffee inside a Zip-Lock (TM) bag, attributing it to 'keeping it fresh.' Tea (good tea, anyway) usually comes in a well sealed package, so it shouldn't be a concern.

Oh, and if it's something in person...don't go out and get a rose the night before to give to her if you think there's *any* chance she won't be there the next day. Otherwise, you'll continue to grumble abou it for years to come. [Big Grin] *Especially* if it was fscking freezing that night, and you learn the reason she didn't drop by the next day was primarily because of the cold.

</jaded>

Also, showing up to work on 14 Feb in all black is extremely fun, but may not be received quite as well as you may hope. [evil]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture