homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Our hearts go out to Jessycat (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Our hearts go out to Jessycat
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 05, 2006 20:10      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We received some very sad news, Jessycat's mom died today, after complications resulting from open heart surgery.

It's hard to express how profoundly sorrowful we feel. We're thinking of you and praying for you and your family.

Thank you, Jess for letting us know and giving us an opportunity to support you through this horribly sad time. We'd be honored to be here for you when you need a listening ear, and a big hug. Take care.

Big Hugs,
Nitrozac and Snaggy [weep]

YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 20:20      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jessycat I am so sorry for your loss.
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 05, 2006 20:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no.

/me gives Jessycat a big hug

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 05, 2006 20:42      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear about this Jessycat. We're all thinking about you. [Frown]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 20:42      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm praying for you and your loved ones.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 20:52      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. They mean more to me than I can say.

I'm going to reprint the email I sent out today:

Hey everyone,

I'm so sorry for the group e-mail, but I don't know how else to do
this. I'm sending this out to anyone who might have known or known of
my mom, Estrella.

Mom died today, after complications resulting from open heart surgery.
Some of you know the whole story, but basically she was diagnosed
with 2 very large aortic aneurysms, a defective aortic valve and a
defective mitral valve. This was to be the first of 2 surgeries to
correct all this. The heart repair was successful, but it seems that
the lack of blood flow during the 9-hour operation severely
compromised her liver, kidney, and surrounding organs.

We had our first scare at the beginning of December, when she became
short of breath, called 911 and was admitted to Wilson Hospital (in
Binghamton, NY). It was there that they discovered the aneurysms, but
didn't have the resources to help her there. She took a turn for the
worse, almost died, then rallied. We found a surgeon who would take
her case, at Mt. Sinai Hospital here in NYC. Frankie and his
girlfriend Tasha relocated from Florida, and they and Mom got an
apartment in Queens. After a few weeks at a rehabilitation center (so
that she could get her strength up for the surgery) she moved into the
apartment.

We all had such a great time together in the couple months before the
surgery! She was feeling great, and we hung out a lot and had big
dinners every Sunday and Mom did what she loved to do most... cook for
us and our friends, and eat and play games, and watch movies... we
really had the best time.

She knew the risks involved with the surgery, but knew she had to go
through with it. She never had another cigarette after calling 911.
She was doing so great. Amanda, Frankie and I, Tasha, Amanda's
boyfriend Chris, and our friends Dolly, Jimmy, and Beth were all with
Mom when she died. It happened very quickly and we don't think she
suffered.

We haven't made any funeral arrangements yet, but it will be in
Binghamton. I'll send another e-mail when we know more.

Thanks for listening, and for being a part of our lives.

Love,
Jess

That about sums it up.
This is the saddest I've ever been.

Thanks for being here.

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 20:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said earlier, I'm terribly sorry to hear this news.

My warmest regards to you and the rest of your family.

*sigh*

-dragon

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 21:10      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my faith we regard death as a portal. I will pray for your mother. I will pray for you and your family and friends. May God's peace surround and comfort you all.
Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 21:13      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very very sad news, Jessycat. My condolences to you and all your family.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 22:25      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jessycat, I'm going to borrow a tradition from one of our Electric Minds cohosts...a star will be named for your mother tonight.

I am personally sorry for your loss, and I feel certain that any of our cohosts would say the same.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 22:27      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hugs to you and your family.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 23:20      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sympathies and prayers go out to you and your family, Jessycat.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 23:51      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jessy, that's rotten news about your mom. I don't know what I'd do if I had to go through a situation similar to yours. All I know is that I'd want the love and caring of my friends, so mine are yours for as long as you need them.

You're not alone, chica.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 00:25      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ow. That's sad news.. [Frown]

My mother went through a similar operation. Those were very hard days for us. I cannot even imagine how it would be like to leave her at the hospital..

Please accept my sympathies. I pray the god to give you strenght to overcome these hard days of yours.

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 01:03      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please accept heartfelt sympathies from me and mine too.

I and many others here will know how hard it is to cope with the loss of one so close.
Time is a great healer, it's a cliche I know, but as time passes the sorrow of the loss will be replaced by the memories good and bad of times spent together.

All the best,
xXx

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 01:18      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jess I am so sorry. I know this sounds stupid, but it shouldn't happen to a wonderful girl like you. Your e-mail tells me you had a great relationship with your Mum, which makes your pain worse now, but will in the end be your consolation too.

My father was a wonderful man, and he died a little over two years ago. The bad news that I must give you is that, if you are like me, though after a while the grief will be bearable, it never stops hurting. But this is also the good news, because if it did that would mean that I had either forgotten him or stopped loving him, and my gratitude for having had such a great Dad easily outweighs this pain.

My thoughts are with you.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 02:15      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bugger.

*hugs*

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 03:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear of your loss Jess.
The loss of a parent leaves a void that will never be filled, but I like to think that our loved ones live on in the people who remember them.
I raised a glass to my dads memory on his birthday, and I'll raise a glass for your mother tonight.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 06, 2006 04:44      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry, Jess... all my sympathies and big hugs are being sent your way. Every one of us at GC is here if you need us, count on it.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 05:17      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only say what I feel Jess

"Oh Sh*t!"

Well now I've said that my deepest condolences I am so sorry to hear that.

I won't say much else because words always seem so inadequate in these situations.

All my and Footsie's love

[cry baby]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 06:03      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me gives Jessycat a big big hug. [Frown]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 06:13      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to hear that Jessycat. My condolences to you and your family.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 06:46      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jess, I'm so sorry for your loss. And so glad you got to spend such a wonderful last few months with your Mom.

Is there anything I can do?

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 06, 2006 06:49      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of the few circumstances I find myself out of words, so I'll say it simply: sorry for you loss.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 06, 2006 06:50      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture