homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » I love it

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I love it
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 15:44      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I love reading news like this.

Virus story on CNN

Reminds me of this JOT I acctually have this printed out (24"x36" poster size) on my cubical wall. It drives the MIS people nuts (They hate macs)

I'm going to go home and kiss my iBook.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 16:12      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From TFA:

quote:

"So while you might think it is coming from cousin Alice, most likely cousin Alice is not going to send you something that says 'Hey look at these pictures with naked people.' So that should be your first clue that a virus is propagating and you'd be well served to call cousin Alice to let her know that she is [unknowingly] sending out this type of e-mail," Sergile said.

I'm so sick of fscking stupid people talking about things they obviously don't understand.

If you get an e-mail that SAYS its from cousin Alice, there's *VERY LITTLE* chance it actually came from cousin Alice, and calling her to notify her of it is only going to annoy her or scare her into thinking she's infected, when she may very well not be.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CloneArmyCommander
Geek
Member # 4665

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 16:37      Profile for CloneArmyCommander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
Yes I love reading news like this.

Virus story on CNN

Reminds me of this JOT I acctually have this printed out (24"x36" poster size) on my cubical wall. It drives the MIS people nuts (They hate macs)

I'm going to go home and kiss my iBook.

Hehehehe [Big Grin] . That's why I love my Linux [Big Grin] . I think that's hilarious [Big Grin] .
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 16:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
From TFA:

quote:

"So while you might think it is coming from cousin Alice, most likely cousin Alice is not going to send you something that says 'Hey look at these pictures with naked people.' So that should be your first clue that a virus is propagating and you'd be well served to call cousin Alice to let her know that she is [unknowingly] sending out this type of e-mail," Sergile said.

I'm so sick of fscking stupid people talking about things they obviously don't understand.

If you get an e-mail that SAYS its from cousin Alice, there's *VERY LITTLE* chance it actually came from cousin Alice, and calling her to notify her of it is only going to annoy her or scare her into thinking she's infected, when she may very well not be.

Gahhh!!! That's fscking useless!!!

If an e-mail contains a virus or other unsavory things, there's only one main thing to do - DELETE IT! If you're rather certain it's rubbish before you open it, DON'T OPEN IT, DELETE IT!!! Then...sit back, and relax, and go about your business.

Unless you're a sysadmin for a sizable e-mail system (like me [Wink] ), and know what the hell you're talking about, you really should just ignore it. If you really do have a clue, or know people with a clue who might feel it is significant, then contact the appropriate parties (ISC SANS, AV vendors, sysadmins on infected systems, et al).

Viruses do not send themselves from other people's computers using that person's name, nor do they necessarily harvest the address book. Modern viruses search everywhere they can (any plain text files on your HD, archived mail, your web cache, etc.), and mail themselves out with a random pairing of an addresses. You might be John Smith, but you have corresponded with Jane Doe, and Mary Smithe. The virus will send itself to Jane Doe pretending to be Mary Smith. If you're Jane Doe, and you get that virus, calling Mary Smith is *FSCKING USELESS* - she's not [necessarily] infected. (Tracking the IP addresses, OTOH, is a worthwhile pursuit - and I've written a header analysis tool to make things a tad easier on that front.)

*sigh* This virus stuff is a mess.

BTW, Mac D - don't believe for a minute that this situation would be radically different if everyone was using a Mac. I'd love to believe it would be so, but it's quite likely that people would attack Macs or Linux boxen if they held 90% or more of the market share. I wish it weren't so, but it is.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 17:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now wait just a darn minute here....

You're not seriously trying to tell me my cousin Alice isn't sending me emails titled "School girl fantasies gone bad", are you?

And here I thought she liked me and wanted to keep it in the family, as it were (I am from the south, after all) [cry baby]

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
sancho
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 18:08      Profile for sancho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My aunt Alice always sends me hot schoolgirl pictures ... so this might present a problem. I am very happy with windows and have no problem with windows. I love sarcasm.

--------------------
Geologists for the reunification of Pangea!!!

Posts: 14 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 20:55      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Now wait just a darn minute here....

You're not seriously trying to tell me my cousin Alice isn't sending me emails titled "School girl fantasies gone bad", are you?

And here I thought she liked me and wanted to keep it in the family, as it were (I am from the south, after all) [cry baby]

I recently got several virus-laden emails from my academic advisor, a Buddhist monk. Their subjects included, "very funny joke!!!111one1one!!!" and "hot 'n' sexy pics of me". We advisees had a good chuckle over that one.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
CloneArmyCommander
Geek
Member # 4665

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 02, 2006 10:34      Profile for CloneArmyCommander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My technical communications professor uses her laptop to teach the class, and she got a weird error, and while she was working with it, trying to get back on track she asked, "By the way, has anyone been effected by that virus?"

One guy, in the back of the classroom, raises his hand. With all of the odd subjects that came up as being attached to the e-mails carrying the virus, I couldn't help laughing. I could see him sitting at his computer and expecting to see dirty pictures and getting the virus. I guess I was the only one who made that association, because I got an odd look, as if to say, "What's funny about that?" Everything [Big Grin] !

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 11:43      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi CloneArmyCommander [Smile]

I am going to say this really quietly before the hordes of Grammar Visigoths come hurtling over the plains to mince you up........

*cough* - 'affected' [Wink]

Phew! I think we got away with it [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 12:26      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CloneArmyCommander:
One guy, in the back of the classroom, raises his hand. With all of the odd subjects that came up as being attached to the e-mails carrying the virus, I couldn't help laughing.

With the subject "Schoolgirl fantasies gone bad" who wouldn't click?

It is unfortunate that he raised his hand, though. It's like admitting he's a pervert and a moron all in one swoop, I would love to see the look on his face when he realized what he implied with that gesture. Good thing, for his sake, that no one else noticed.

That virus starts deleting files tommorow, doesn't it? That's going to be a fun day for the campus tech support people.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
CloneArmyCommander
Geek
Member # 4665

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 12:45      Profile for CloneArmyCommander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Hi CloneArmyCommander [Smile]

I am going to say this really quietly before the hordes of Grammar Visigoths come hurtling over the plains to mince you up........

*cough* - 'affected' [Wink]

Phew! I think we got away with it [Big Grin]

Hahahaha [Big Grin] . I was still a little tired at the time. . . I actually meant infected. Sorry [Big Grin] .
CloneArmyCommander
Geek
Member # 4665

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 12:51      Profile for CloneArmyCommander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shriver:
quote:
Originally posted by CloneArmyCommander:
One guy, in the back of the classroom, raises his hand. With all of the odd subjects that came up as being attached to the e-mails carrying the virus, I couldn't help laughing.

With the subject "Schoolgirl fantasies gone bad" who wouldn't click?

It is unfortunate that he raised his hand, though. It's like admitting he's a pervert and a moron all in one swoop, I would love to see the look on his face when he realized what he implied with that gesture. Good thing, for his sake, that no one else noticed.

That virus starts deleting files tommorow, doesn't it? That's going to be a fun day for the campus tech support people.

Yup. . . tomorrow.
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 15:56      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me is glad he went Mac this summer

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture