homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Point of no return!? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Point of no return!?
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 08:25      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MandysRad:
I admit I just read the first few paragraphs and got to the part about him saying the Earth's doomed before closing it.

You'll quickly learn here that most of us just skip over that asm65816 guy's posts. He's our resident troll who doesn't really get the hint.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 04, 2006 20:09      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part I: drunkennewfiemidget, think before you post.
quote:
We have given Gaia a fever and soon her condition will worsen to a state like a coma. She has been there before and recovered, but it took more than 100,000 years.
    -- James Lovelock (Author)

quote:
Originally posted by MandysRad:
I admit I just read the first few paragraphs and got to the part about him saying the Earth's doomed before closing it.

quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
You'll quickly learn here that most of us just skip over that asm65816 guy's posts....

Mr. Lovelock is the one who "said the Earth's doomed;" MandysRad did not refer to me. I'm the one saying that Earth doomed by global warming is laughable.

Part II: Global Warming Started 10,000 Years Ago
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
ASM you still won't give a straight answer to my simple questions, but why change the habits of a lifetime?

I believe the following chart is accurate:
 -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png

As for usage of the term "Global Warming," I consider it an effort to provoke hysteria to avoid addressing the fact that now there is extreme and very real damage to the environment, and it has nothing to do with "global warming."

The Aral Sea is an example of how the Earth will not "heal" as long as the human causes of the disaster continue to remain.

*** The point below is the speed of recovery by nature alone. ***
Chernobyl, on the other hand, shows nature after being "abandoned" by humans. In 1986 an explosion at a nuclear reactor released so much contamination that within 10km trees died from the exposure. (My favorite quote) "The whole area will not be fit for human habitation for another 600 years or so, and it will have heightened radiation for around 48,000 years." However, after 20 years Chernobyl has become "one of Europe's richest wildlife habitats, teeming with endangered species."

I am puzzled at how "everyone" has little or no concern about environmental issues, with the one exception being an extreme response to "global warming."

Please watch "Soylent Green." Do you think it's an optimistic/feel-good movie, or completely unrealistic because:

a. There will never be a time when large numbers of people will be unable to get enough food.

b. Even if things get really bad, at least we can grind up people and eat them. So there's nothing to worry about.

Here's something on the Aral Sea:
quote:
Perhaps the most significant factor of the Aral Sea crisis is the health of the people. Hospitalisation rates increased from 20 to 25 per 100 persons between 1980 and 1987.  Mortality rates have increased by 15 times in a ten year period, and diseases such as cardiac, vascular, gallstone, and tuberculosis have risen significantly.
These people are dying now. If they had the choice, I bet they'd much rather have to "move their city 300 years from now" (as might be the case for NY below sea level from "global warming").

Oooo ... this is cool:
quote:
The Mississippi River—which drains nearly 40% of the continental United States, including its central farm lands—carries an estimated 1.5 million metric tons of nitrogen pollution into the Gulf of Mexico each year. The resulting hypoxic dead zone in the Gulf each summer is about the size of Massachusetts.
Here's something nice....
quote:
Pollution of freshwater (drinking water) is a problem for about half of the world's population. Each year there are about 250 million cases of water-related diseases, with roughly 5 to 10 million deaths.
Maybe global warming is far worse than all other environmental issues combined, but so far I'm not convinced.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 20:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that global warming is not the cause of all the earth's problems. However, it is not insignificant.

quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:

Part II: Global Warming Started 10,000 Years Ago

[snip]

I believe the following chart is accurate:
 -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png

First of all, that chart DOES NOT go back 10000 years. It goes back ~140 years. Off by a couple orders of magnitude. My boss would take me out back and slap me for a mistake like that. Further I find the sudden upward trend starting at the 1910 mark a bit alarming. It levels off from 1940 to ~1980 and then spikes upward again. Now maybe these fluctuations have happend over the last 10,000 years, but the data you are presenting here does not in any way shape or form support your arguments. You're going to have to do better. Sorry.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 20:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine: You're trying to use logic. Bad lab rat, no cookie!

/me takes a quick look at that chart. Hmm...a bunch of numbers and dates, and of course, it's in Celsius. So, what can I take from it, then?

Well...it reaches and/or breaks 0 C in 1940 - my natural conclusion therefore is that Hitler caused global warming.

/me takes a bow.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 20:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Well...it reaches and/or breaks 0 C in 1940 - my natural conclusion therefore is that Hitler caused global warming.

[Applause] [thumbsup] [Applause] [thumbsup] [Applause]

<old-fart>
One of the things I miss about The Good Old Days of Usenet News is the ability to add trolls and fsckwits to my 'killfile', and never see their drivel again.
(and no, I'm not refering to the dragon)
</old-fart>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 21:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

[Applause] [thumbsup] [Applause] [thumbsup] [Applause]

<old-fart>
One of the things I miss about The Good Old Days of Usenet News is the ability to add trolls and fsckwits to my 'killfile', and never see their drivel again.
(and no, I'm not refering to the dragon)
</old-fart>

Thanks.

And see a thread of mine in the SF forums...I've got something that needs a bit of work, but with a few good coders, that just might be possible. I've been too busy to pursue it further lately, though. :-/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 05, 2006 01:13      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You people obviously have no clue why that particular graph was posted, or why I stated that I believed its accuracy......
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous on Feb 3, 2006:
Do you now think that global warming is happening?

But since you want to argue about 10,000 years ago, I'll provide the 450,000 year temperature graph.

-

Since approximately 10,000 years ago, the Ice Volume has been declining. If you look at 125,000 years ago and 400,000 years ago, you will notice that the Ice Volume had been lower than the present state. If the last periods of low Ice Volume are indicative of this period of low Ice Volume, then we will experience a "warm" period of 3,000 to 5,000 years as the Ice Caps begin to grow again, and grow rapidly.

PS: I'm not afraid of the next Ice Age either.......

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 07:31      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zork I

You are standing on a road that leads East; to the West it disappears around a bend. There are mountains in the background. To the North lies a house with a door; a window is on the West side of the house. There is a mailbox here. You hear a bird in the distance…

What do you want to do? >

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted February 05, 2006 08:56      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far, "Global Warming" is bad because:

1. Future generations (300 years from now) will be "a tad miffed" (very angry) by "our carelessness in this era."

2. "We have given Gaia a fever and soon her condition will worsen to a state like a coma. She has been there before and recovered, but it took more than 100,000 years." -- James Lovelock (the guy trying to sell his book)

Water Pollution is bad because:

1. Pollution of freshwater (drinking water) is a problem for about half of the world's population. Each year there are about 250 million cases of water-related diseases, with roughly 5 to 10 million deaths.

From the numbers I see, Water Pollution is ahead on death toll by 5 to 10 million per year. (... and that's without mentioning points (2) through (37). [shake head] )

Are "you people" aware of some evidence that water pollution will cease to exist sometime in the next 20 years? If you are, I can stop worrying about water pollution.

Do you have some figures for annual "Heat Related Deaths," specifically attributed to a one degree increase in global temperature? So far, I'm seeing "zero" for that statistic.

Also, do you have some articles about "Global Temperatures Should Remain the Same After This Point in Time Instead of Going Up and Down Like They Have Over the Past 450 Thousand Years"?

Miscellaneous Question: Mr. Lovelock said "She (Gaia) has been there before and recovered." Could someone tell me the instance 100,000 years ago where rivers were filled with raw sewage and lakes were poisoned by toxic metals and acid?

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 12:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
> go north

You are standing outside a house with a door; a window is on the West side of the house. There is a mailbox here. There is an annoying little dog here. You hear an annoying little dog go "yip yip yip yip yip"

> kick dog
The annoying little dog bites your ankle

>kick dog
The annoying little dog bites your ankle again

>kick dog.
The annoying little dog just won't fscking take the hint.

>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 13:41      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
> use shotgun
The little dog is no longer a problem

You see a small dog pelt in front of you

> grab pelt

You now have a small dog pelt

> equip pelt

Your right-hand melee weapon is the small dog pelt

>

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 14:01      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
> enter house

You go into the small cabin-like house to find it is vacant. There is a desk in one corner, a fire burning in the fireplace, and a bed in the other corner.

> sleep in bed

You attempt to climb into the bed to go to sleep, but the pelt takes control of your hand, and forces you to take a pen and paper from the desk and begin to write incoherent drivel noone will ever be bothered to read. Angry, you throw the pelt to the ground.

>

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 14:40      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
> worried that something is not right, you stamp on the pelt repeatedly. Do you then

> throw the pelt out the door

> run as fast as you can, in no particular direction

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 15:08      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
> Stop

Stopped.

> Take a piss.

Pissed.

>End game

Do you really want to quit? (Y=affirmative)

> Y

Bye! [Wink]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 18:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
garlicguy wrote:
Zork I

You are standing on a road that leads East; to the West it disappears around a bend. There are mountains in the background. To the North lies a house with a door; a window is on the West side of the house. There is a mailbox here. You hear a bird in the distance…

What do you want to do? >

This could be fun, but it needs its own thread and fewer insults.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
mark717
Newbie Larva
Member # 8266

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 21:27      Profile for mark717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
his book is utter nonsense...this book however is a good read...
[thumbsup] [Applause] [Applause] [cry baby]
 -

Posts: 8 | From: New zealand | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture