homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Point of no return!? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Point of no return!?
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 18:35      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though this can't beat the true cultural grit of a topless Olsen twin, it provides something to chew on.

So the guy who came up with the Gaia principle basically thinks we're already screwed no matter what. He thinks we've already crossed the threshold and are doomed to a global collapse. I know what you're saying: what a fun topic. Here's the link:

Happy Joy Joy Link

I'm just curious about people's reactions. I'm in no way saying he's right. Though I do think we're in for something, it remains to be seen what. This guy clearly falls in the category of "worst case scenario".

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 20:41      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First reaction: I guess it has to be an impending apocalypse if he wants to sell a lot of books. Not too many people will rush to buy a book that says the earth is going to fall apart over the next few millenia, give or take a few thousand years.

Second reaction: Wait, it doesn't have to be impending apocalypse. I'll bet you could sell a lot of books if the discussion was the effect of the environment on the Olsen twin's boobs.

All pedophilia humor aside, I agree that we should be less damaging to our environment. Unfortunately, however, it sounds like Lovelock has gone from reasonable interpretations of his Gaia Theory into full blown dancin' with the fairies and communin' with the trees idiocy. And not even well thought out idiocy at that.

"before this century is over billions of us will die"
Before this century is over, every one of the over six billion people alive today will be a minimum of 94 years old or dead. Since the average lifespan is nowhere near 94, it stands to reason that billions are going to die regardless of what happens with the environment. But hey, if you don't think about it too much, it sounds like it supports his argument.

In the short article, he claims Gaia has made him a planetary physician and then goes on to confuse kidney failure with reduced kidney function. If he can't get well documented basics of kidney failure straight, I have to wonder how good a grasp he has on the workings an entire planet's ecosystem.

In the end, it seems like an interesting premise that has been carried too far and given sensationalist tabloid headlines to try to sell more copies of his book. It might be interesting to read and even provoke a few thoughts, but I suspect that it's about as well thought out as the short article promoting it, so I would have to pass on it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 20:50      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

All pedophilia humor aside,

I guess you missed the big countdown to their 18th birthday last year (or was it the year before)? [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 23:00      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonnie

There is no way the Olsens are twins, or eighteen years old [evil] But hey...if people find them cute, who am I to judge [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 03:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
So the guy who came up with the Gaia principle basically thinks we're already screwed no matter what. He thinks we've already crossed the threshold and are doomed to a global collapse.

He's not the only one who's feeling pessimistic [Frown]
(have a play with the arctic icecap widget [Eek!] )

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted January 31, 2006 12:27      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
He's not the only one who's feeling pessimistic
Earth is too crowded for Utopia
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4584572.stm
(related link)

Humans only live on land. Meanwhile, the oceans cover almost two and a half times as much area, and they support life in a broad range of depth, multiplying their capacity even more.

[shake head]   Somehow, the quantity of humans is enough to deplete even the oceans......

quote:
"I think the point is there is nowhere left in the ocean not overfished," said Ransom Myers, a fisheries biologist at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia and lead author of the study.

"Humans have always been very good at killing big animals,"

"Industrial fishing can reduce a particular fish population to one-tenth its original size in only 10 or 15 years, according to scientists."

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/05/14/coolsc.disappearingfish/

Wait centuries for the icecaps to melt? No way! Same decade extinction is available now.
[Frown]

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 12:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More depressing news. [Frown]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 31, 2006 15:04      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well in a human frame "we are just soooo screwed" would be a good phrase in my opinion...

On a real Gaian level it will all recover - eventually (with a bit of luck)

We will mash ourselves into extinction, or near enough to it as to not matter and a few million years from now it will all be like we never existed

New reefs will rise and so on... I just feel for the kids of today and the next few generations. They will be the ones that experience the fall and all the unpleasantness that it entails.

[Frown]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2006 22:05      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most important thing for life: Water

... next, for living things: Food

If nature has these two things, its resilience will surprise you.
quote:
Nature thrives in Chernobyl

Chernobyl, the scene of the world's worst nuclear accident, has defied the gloomiest of prophesies by becoming one of Europe's richest wildlife habitats, teeming with endangered species.

The evacuation of tens of thousands of residents living in the 30km exclusion zone around the Ukrainian reactor has resulted in a flourishing community of plants and animals whose diversity has stunned biologists.

http://ranprieur.com/crash/naturechernobyl.html
Original (not free): http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article273271.ece

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 04:08      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASM I may be wrong but I seem to remember that you used to follow the strict Republican party line on climate change, namely that it is unproven, and that many of those talking it up are either the same doom merchants that have been with us since the dawn of time, or sore losers seeking a backdoor way to hobble the mighty US economy.

Are you beginning to have heretical thoughts?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 21:25      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm kind of a cross between a southern country boy and a science/technology geek. I like the outdoors and used to go hiking for a view from the mountain tops. For the most part, the bigger the city, the less I like it.

My view on global warming is a matter of priorities, based on:

1. The last ice age was about 10,000 years ago, and before that probably 100,000 years ago. Recognizable wolves, horses, beaver, deer, camels, whales, etc. existed in the Miocene era at least 5.3 million years ago. An ice age is a pretty harsh change in climate, but numerous species have survived them again and again.

2. When I hear "400 years from now," first I think "will be 300 years after I'm dead." Second, 300 years should be enough time to make plans to prevent or minimize the loss of life and property.

3. In the case of more powerful hurricanes and typhoons, nature doesn't mind at all. In rainforest areas like Vietnam, typhoons make them wet. Limbs might break, but the water keeps the forests very much alive. When a city in a major industrial country takes massive damage from a hurricane, it's because of vanity (lack of respect for nature). Okinawa gets three to five typhoons each year and takes little or no damage because of building codes (lots of concrete), L.A. has building codes for the same reason, except earthquakes are the threat.

Basically, global warming and ice ages are "inconvenient" for humanity, but the other species won't be driven to extinction.

On the other hand, I have a serious issue with abuse of water resources ...

1. When some place like the Aral Sea becomes a dead salt lake, or some major river is so polluted that its fish can't be eaten (safely), then species are killed outright, and the destruction can easily occur in a single lifetime (maybe only 40 years). That's a big difference from "300 years after I'm dead."

2. Eating other species into extinction: I almost can't imagine fishing the oceans until something becomes extinct. If the US used every one of its nukes to kill fish, there would still be more fish than you could count. (Maybe I'm wrong.) "Soylent Green" (1973) was based on destroying our own food sources. Kill all the fish, no fish to eat. Kill all the trees, no more fruits. etc.... (The horrifying consequences ... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/ )

Reasons for hope: Germany - green roofs, extensive cogen. Japan - reservoirs often have artificial wetlands. Both countries are extremely dedicated to recycling.

Miscellaneous: People generally don't like insects like mosquitoes, but they're a food source for fish, amphibians, and some birds. How much food (insects) are some species losing as a direct result of people?

Scary: Would it be really evil if the US raised global temperatures by 4 degrees so it could cut heating oil use by 0.8%? (Uh ... don't think about it. [evil] ... no, I don't think that's it.)

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 03:03      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An excellent politician's answer, which takes a very long time to not address my simple question. So let me put it another way.

Do you now think that global warming is happening? Do you also think that our energy use, such as burning fossil fuels contributes to it? If you want to explain you views in detail, I would be grateful if you would include something which gives a clue as to your views on these two questions. On the other hand, if you feel your views are clear from your previous post a simple yes, no, or maybe would also be adequate.

If global warming is happening and becomes irreversible, then I think like you that it would probably eventually trigger another ice age. While I also think, like you, that the human race would probably survive it, among the "inconveniences" suffered by humanity there would be an amount of deaths from starvation and cold, and the global population could be reduced substantially, maybe even by 75% or more, which might leave some people feeling a tad miffed, particularly if it was triggered by our carelessness in this era.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 03:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calli, you should know better by now [shake head]

--------------------

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 06:10      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
An excellent politician's answer, which takes a very long time to not address my simple question. So let me put it another way.

Do you now think that global warming is happening? Do you also think that our energy use, such as burning fossil fuels contributes to it? If you want to explain you views in detail, I would be grateful if you would include something which gives a clue as to your views on these two questions. On the other hand, if you feel your views are clear from your previous post a simple yes, no, or maybe would also be adequate.

If global warming is happening and becomes irreversible, then I think like you that it would probably eventually trigger another ice age. While I also think, like you, that the human race would probably survive it, among the "inconveniences" suffered by humanity there would be an amount of deaths from starvation and cold, and the global population could be reduced substantially, maybe even by 75% or more, which might leave some people feeling a tad miffed, particularly if it was triggered by our carelessness in this era.

Don't forget that there would almost certainly be a war. We can't stay away from each other's throats even now. How on earth would we do it when resources start to become scarce?
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 03, 2006 07:24      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
Don't forget that there would almost certainly be a war. We can't stay away from each other's throats even now. How on earth would we do it when resources start to become scarce?

Yes, Quebec needs to start its own army to protect its fresh water resources from our greedy southern neigbour. We can't count on Canada's army to protect us, after all. Now, the hard part: what lie will the US government invent to justify invading us? [evil] [Wink] </tongue-in-cheek>

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 07:25      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
quote:

Yes, Quebec needs to start its own army to protect its fresh water resources from our greedy southern neigbour. We can't count on Canada's army to protect us, after all. Now, the hard part: what lie will the US government invent to justify invading us? [evil] [Wink] </tongue-in-cheek>
4 words: poutines of mass destruction
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 07:38      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
quote:

3 words: poutines of mass destruction
(where's that falling jaw graemlin?) [Applause] You're SOOOOOO right. They'll accuse us of making them fat, thus making them die early of coronary disease! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 08:27      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's say all the arguments about inevitable world-wide catastrophe are true. The question you have to ask is "Would it be so bad for humans as a species if 25 to 50% of the worlds population died from famine and diesese over a short period of time?"

I won't say this would not be a horrific thing, but you do have to ask if the survivors would end up being better off, having less competition for resources and, perhaps, a clearer understanding of what not to do wrong the second time around.

Then think about the question two ways. If famine killed the third-world poor, or if a plauge killed all the affluent city dwellers.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 09:44      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:

Scary: Would it be really evil if the US raised global temperatures by 4 degrees so it could cut heating oil use by 0.8%? (Uh ... don't think about it. [evil] ... no, I don't think that's it.)

Actully we would burn the oil to generate electricty to run our air conditioners so no savings would be achived.

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 12:22      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imagine this, 15,000 years from now there are massive Orange groves in Western Canada ....
quote:
Protester: In 400 years no one will be able to grow Oranges in Canada because of Global Cooling. The irresponsibility of industry is causing a climate change which could destroy the agriculture of entire regions and trigger unparalleled famine.

"Someone else": Actually, the global cooling is part of natural cycle of the planet. About 25,000 years ago, the last ice age ended and the average temperature of the planet began to rise. Statistically, over the last 5 million years ice ages occur every 40,000 to 100,000 years. It's a periodic phenomenon. Like a pendulum, half the time it moves in one direction, and half the time it moves in the other. For global climate, half the time it gets warmer, and half the time it gets colder.

quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
If global warming ... becomes irreversible, ... it would probably eventually trigger another ice age.

Then it's not "irreversible." [Wink] As for carelessness in this era, the earth is always changing. "Smart" species adapt to survive. (People do things like build mansions on the beach, as if the coast was always sunny and pleasant... go figure.)

Epiphany: Why do people embrace "God created everything exactly like it is" so strongly? A: Because they can't accept change. Evolution theory specifically embraces "things change (even if it takes eons)."

quote:
Yes, Quebec needs to start its own army to protect its fresh water resources from our greedy southern neigbour. [evil] [Wink]
Callipygous mentioned how a future catastrophe could cause a "substantial" population loss. The "population loss" is happening now. There are famine, disease (AIDS), and war all over the globe (minimal between Canada and "its neighbor" because they both have water and they're not "overpopulated").

Some people are trying to solve the famine problem by fishing some species to extinction. It's not a solution, even though it may keep people happy for 20 or 30 years. To paraphrase the process: Eat your children's food so you can die fat while all of them starve to death afterwards (a la "Soylent Green").

As far as "our difference in views," it could be summarized as:
quote:
* I "don't care" that 400 years from now New York could be 23 feet below sea level because of increased global temperature.

* You "don't care" that 40 years from now several species could be extinct and vast areas of nature could be destroyed forever because of human population growth and construction.

--------------------

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 12:54      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Earth is just going thru a phase. It's had millions of them. And for the past 3 million years people have adapted to it. I don't think the warm spell we have now is human induced. Ice melts water freezes.

I'm not saying oh it's fine lets polutte this place all we can. I try to do as much as possible to not polutte. I don't really like all that stuff in the air. But I don't think thats whats making the temps go up.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 14:31      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I count myself among the people who think Mr. Lovelock here is full of it.
quote:
So let us be brave and cease thinking of human needs and rights alone, and see that we have harmed the living Earth and need to make our peace with Gaia.
I sometimes think that this is the kind of talk that most hurts environmentalism as a cause. He's putting a selfless veneer on a human-centered article. His whole article is about keeping the Earth inhabitable and beautiful for humanity, yet he seems to be deluding himself that it's about the Earth/Gaia the last few paragraphs of the article. It gets hard to take the guy seriously.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 16:52      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASM you still won't give a straight answer to my simple questions, but why change the habits of a lifetime?

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 21:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

<bad-stage-texas-accent>
"serves them right for having no word for 'entrepreneur' !"
</bad-stage-texas-accent>

--------------------

MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 21:48      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admit I just read the first few paragraphs and got to the part about him saying the Earth's doomed before closing it.

First reacation "Damn, someones being a little bit overdramatic."

Second reaction "Soooo, we're all going to die, what's new?"

I've thought about the apocolypse many a lonely night and figured we don't have that much longer here anyway so why freak out? The sun's going to blow up, a meteor is going to crash into us, we'll all destroy ourselves, now we're going to die out from the Earth's fever- whatever.

All signs point to death. Lots of death. None of them being quick and easy either. Come on people! Let's just whip out those weapons of mass destruction everyone keeps talking about and get it over with.

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Posts: 110 | From: My mummies basement | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture