homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » 24 for the dragon! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 24 for the dragon!
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 10:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm, it is your 24th, right?

Well, in any event, dragonman97 has a birthday today. Three cheers for the dragon!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 10:57      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday! What do ice breathing dragons eat for their birthdays anyway?

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 11:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Xanthine. [Smile]

It is indeed my birthday today, though in the interest of remaining vague, I shain't quantify the numeric value. [Wink]

Peebs: Well, when it's a quiet Saturday morning, and the dragon has the appropriate ingredients about, he makes and eats some critically acclaimed French toast:
 -

It's known across the world! (Really, it has been sampled by another world traveller, so this is in fact a valid statement. [Big Grin] )

Mmm...that was good. I haven't done that in a long time.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9211 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 11:10      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy bday dude! Now go out, do those 24 shots, and let us know how it went when you finally manage to recover from the big bad bday bash [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 28, 2006 11:36      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday dragonman!!!! Hope you have a fantastic day. [Smile]

man, that French toast looks good!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 7830 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 28, 2006 11:37      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup] Just remember, you're not getting old, you're getting decrepit! [Big Grin]
Posts: 5830 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 12:06      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
French Toast, eh? I get heartburn just looking at it, but miss it more than you can know. So enjoy it while you're young. [Big Grin]

Happy Birthday, dman. [Wink]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 13:14      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gah! how many birthdays do we have in a row here?!

Happy birthday dragonman!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2330 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 13:30      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97.age += 1

dragonman97.write("Happy Birthday!!!")

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 13:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't that be 'Freedom Toast' ?

-
 -
 -  -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10465 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 28, 2006 14:30      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday, dman!!!

I invited a barista to the party; hope you don't mind. [Big Grin]

-

Mmmmmmmmm espresso!

Posts: 486 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 16:33      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday! It gets better every year. Really. [Smile]
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 17:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessycat:
Happy Birthday, dman!!!

I invited a barista to the party; hope you don't mind. [Big Grin]

-

Mmmmmmmmm espresso!

Thanks, Jess!!! That's become a fun cliche/meme of sorts, I must say. [Wink] [Razz]

And they're in Seattle...*swoons over Seattle coffee*

Thanks everyone!

nwnf: Sorry man, but that code is wrong...and it's in Java...so that's double wrong. [Wink]

I believe you're looking for:

Person dragonman97=(Person) userVector.get(780);
int currAge=dragonman97.getAge();
dragonman97.setAge(currAge+1);

System.out.println("Happy Birthday!!!");

/* In another life, I taught Java for a bit. [Wink]
Damn...I feel old now. [Razz] */

Edited to be written the way I intended - I shouldn't have tried to get clever. *shrugs*

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9211 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 17:24      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

dragonman97.setAge(currAge++);

You've got it wrong too .. if your current age is what's returned by getAge(), and you use setAge with a POST-increment operator, it's going to setAge to your old age, and then increment currAge after. You want ++currAge. [Wink]

Either way, I didn't know you were only 24. I thought you were older than I. Yay for 1982! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4894 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 17:48      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

dragonman97.setAge(currAge++);

You've got it wrong too .. if your current age is what's returned by getAge(), and you use setAge with a POST-increment operator, it's going to setAge to your old age, and then increment currAge after. You want ++currAge. [Wink]

Either way, I didn't know you were only 24. I thought you were older than I. Yay for 1982! [Big Grin]

You're both wrong. First off, it's python, not java (Notice the lack of semicolons?) I guess I should have included the docstrings for dragonman97's class, which happens to be polymorphic to os.File.

Secondly, there is no '++' operator in python, only '+= 1'. Don't ask me why that is.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 17:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday!
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 18:41      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday, dman! And many more to come...

And if you don't happen to carpe that barista, mind if I give it a shot [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 18:54      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Mmm...that was good. I haven't done that in a long time.

Snaggy, dman's teasing me with french toast. Make him stop. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2006 03:45      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
And if you don't happen to carpe that barista, mind if I give it a shot [Wink]

Make it a double, why don't you?

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2006 14:16      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, there is an especially high concentration of Geek Birthdays this week!

Happy 24 and many more.

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2006 18:59      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday dman!!!!!!
You're older!!! [Smile]
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2006 19:48      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday!!! [Smile]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 844 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 00:43      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something I hadn't thougt of earlier... perhaps it's the late hour.... A little They Might Be Giants...

quote:
You're older than you've ever been.
And now you're even older.
You're older than you've ever been.
And now you're older still.

Time is marching on.
And time........ is still marching on.

This day will soon be at an end
and now it's even sooner.
And now it's even sooner.
This day will soon be at an end and now it's even sooner.
And now it's sooner still.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2330 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 05:19      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday!
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 07:22      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo Hoo!

Hippo birdies, D-Man!

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.