homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five from Stereo!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five from Stereo!
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 07:59      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any ideas for questions? I am brain dead today and didn't see any I wanted to steal from other sites.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 08:31      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about going tiny? My suggestions:

1 - What's the smallest thing you have kept for a while in your pocket without losing it? (Mine is a rose seed I took from public rose-tree - bad Stereo!)

2 - Describe a piece of clothing you wore when you were a little kid? (I had some white rubber boots with a dog face printed on the front, and dog-like ears on the side.)

3 - What's the piece of trivia/random bit of knowlege that came in handy at some unexpected point? (An aunt of mine had bought a watch with Chineese numbers, but wasn't quite sure of that - I was able to settle the point.)

4 - What's the smallest computer you ever had? (That would be a Mac Plus.)

5 - Name an easy/trivial/childish goal you'd like to achieve soon. (Finally getting to find out how to cook rice in my bamboo steamer.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 08:49      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 - What's the smallest thing you have kept for a while in your pocket without losing it?

2 - Describe a piece of clothing you wore when you were a little kid?

3 - What's the piece of trivia/random bit of knowlege that came in handy at some unexpected point?

4 - What's the smallest computer you ever had?

5 - Name an easy/trivial/childish goal you'd like to achieve soon.

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 08:52      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 - What's the smallest thing you have kept for a while in your pocket without losing it?
In my purse a tiny locker key.

It isn't one item, but every year I got one Polly Flinders dress. They had beautiful smocked fronts. They are no longer in business, but this is what they looked like
http://store.grammies-attic.com/polly-flinders-pink-checked-smocked-toddler-dress-with-green-embroidery-sz3t.html

3 - What's the piece of trivia/random bit of knowlege that came in handy at some unexpected point?
I'm a reference librarian and can't be limited to one piece of random trivia. LOL

4 - What's the smallest computer you ever had? A laptop.

5 - Name an easy/trivial/childish goal you'd like to achieve soon. Whistle with grass

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 09:14      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

A TTC subway token that's been in my pocket for over a month now.

My mother has pictures of me when I was 4 or 5, being the smartass I am, I said my ears were cold, she said the house was warm, and if my ears were cold, I should put socks on them. So I did.

Nothing comes to mind, but I'm sure later today, I'll be like, OH YEA! and possibly update this.

4 - What's the smallest computer you ever had? (That would be a Mac Plus.)

Actually owned? My Tandy 1000 would be the smallest physical computer, unless you count my old blackberry .. (It did have a 386 processor in it!) Or my laptop. A thinkpad T21.

Get through the day, get home, and get the stuff I've set out for myself to get done this weekend finished.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 09:16      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 - What's the smallest thing you have kept for a while in your pocket without losing it? 12 tiny elephants in a bean . I used to buy lots of silly things like that as a kid from a mail order company called Johnson Smith

2 - Describe a piece of clothing you wore when you were a little kid? A vest my Grandma made for me in the 70s out of material with images of Wacky Packs ( I still have it)

3 - What's the piece of trivia/random bit of knowledge that came in handy at some unexpected point? I have too much random trivia to think of 1 off hand.

A Timex Sinclair 1000
5 - Name an easy/trivial/childish goal you'd like to achieve soon. Complete the Zelda games I've started.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 09:49      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 - a single diamond stud earring.

2 - red, white and blue striped pants. Very 70s.

3 - NYC and the surrounding areas were targeted by Nazi u-boats in WWI and WWII, sinking several ships. A friend wrote the beginnings of a screenplay about this, and didn't believe me when I'd said I'd heard of it before he'd mentioned it. (The Nazis even landed spies, who were later caught and / or turned themselves in.)

4 - smallest computer has to be my PDA, a Palm Tungsten T5.

5 - I'd like to finally finish a sweater I started knitting for my son almost 2 years ago. I get so far into it, decide there is something in it I don't like and start over. I'm on my fourth attempt now. I think the sweater doesn't want to be made.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 10:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

A #3-56 screw out of a microscope

A blue blanket I wore like Linus in peanuts

They never end.

A TI-99/4A circa 1980 I even used it to decode pay for TV back in the eightys.

Learn Morse Code and pass my General exam.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
sancho
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 10:08      Profile for sancho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

1. Lint balls. Did you mean something I wanted? Then that would be a brachiopod shell about the size of dime. The amazing thing is it didn't break.
2. Yellow and white plaid pants like Greg Brady.
3. My life is random bits of knowledge and trivia. They are always handly.
4. TI-83 plus - you can program it, therefore a computer. Some purist will say that it is a calculator, but I have programmed it to do quadratic equations.
5. Graduate from College with a BS in Geology.

--------------------
Geologists for the reunification of Pangea!!!

Posts: 14 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 10:20      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Case screws or dog treats... I think case screws win, they are tiny buggers. I had them in a coat pocket for quite some time, and remembered exactly which coat and pocket they were in when I needed them.

I used to have a blue and orange polo shirt... I don't think I liked it. I had a few hand-me-down wool (and tweed one, I think) sports coats and I would wear them every now and again, and get teased to no end for wearing them... But I didn't care, I thought I looked like a prof or somesuch...

I know tons of random bits, but it's never really helped me much, except to make people ask "Why do know that?"

A HERA, which just a small form factor PC. Unless you count BOE or a calculator as a "computer."

None of my goals are trivial... really... no, really... hey stop laughing.... Alright, I admit that I want to make a super yummy orange-spice cake that I saw on TV a few weeks back.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 11:44      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

A gold piece of a ring my step-father made for me, it broke and I kept that in my pocket for months after he passed.

A little red dress with a white ribbon going down the middle. I wore it for my first Christmas.

3 - What's the piece of trivia/random bit of knowledge that came in handy at some unexpected point?

A guy at my previous job had a Blackberry and was not getting his e-mails. He did not know what was wrong with it. I grabbed it from him and two minutes later it was buzzing...with e-mails. [Razz]

Treo 650 is the closest.

To learn and understand HTML format so I can start mating my Rott. [cry baby]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 12:00      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An old silver farthing, which someone had drilled through to make a pendant. I was a kid and thought that old coins with the date worn off were really cool.

A woolly jumper, navy blue, with yellow squares on the front in a chess board pattern. Ugh!

A winning pub quiz question many years ago - Which country's national anthem is "La Dessalinienne"?

Does a half-share in a TI99/4a count?

I want to have another go at juggling - I did crack it for a while, but it's all gone wrong again [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 12:33      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matias:

To learn and understand HTML format so I can start mating my Rott. [cry baby]

Oh it isn't the HTML that's difficult. It's CSS and all of its fun quirks that will drive you up a damned wall -- even if you're a pro at it!

quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:

I want to have another go at juggling - I did crack it for a while, but it's all gone wrong again [Wink]

.. am I the only one who misread this at first as 'I did crack for a while...' ?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 13:27      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 - What's the smallest thing you have kept for a while in your pocket without losing it? There's a needle in there at the moment, as I need to sew some Barbie clothes for my best friend's 21st birthday present (don't ask).

I used to have lots of fussy little frocks from Marks and Spencer, with puffy sleeves and sashes and matching straw hats. Ugh. I had a great blue t-shirt covered in lots of little tropical fish, that I loved.

Well, the other day, we were having a discussion about Isaac Newton, and my fake-boyfriend wondered whether he died a virgin or not. I was able to point out that yes, it's likely that he did.

Nothing smaller than my old iBook.

I'd like to have my entire music collection properly organised... i.e. with genre, rating, equaliser pre-set and album art all sorted and filled in in iTunes. Oh, that would be nice...

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 14:17      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
.. am I the only one who misread this at first as 'I did crack for a while...' ?

No....I did the same.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 14:26      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
'I did crack for a while...'
No no no no no [Big Grin] I cracked it, I worked it out, I got the hang of it... etc etc. [Smile]

And remember people, if anyone offers you some real clean gear, just say "No!" mmmkay? [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 15:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
No no no no no [Big Grin] I cracked it, I worked it out, I got the hang of it... etc etc. [Smile]
Not to be confused with the kind of crack that's to be found in many Irish pubs [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 09:29      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

A seed from a Wolf River apple. Lasted in a jacket pocket for several months and was quite viable when planted.

There was this black 'Cowboy' hat with white piping and trim - looked a bit like something the Cisco Kid (old '50's & '60s TV Western) would wear. We lived in Chicago at the time - I wore it everywhere.

While totally sh*t-faced drunk during a college party, I was able to provide the correct answer to a question that had stumped the crowd. The answer was, Commando Cody, though I had never seen any of the programs.

Desktop = The original Mac (among the first 50,000 sold). Laptop = Dell

Can't think of any goals that fit that description.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 10:25      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
quote:
Not to be confused with the kind of crack that's to be found in many Irish pubs [Wink]
I always thought you were much more likely to find this sort of crack at an Irish pub.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 15:18      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I toted around three marijuana seeds in one pair of jeans for months. (Tells you how often I do laundry, eh?) Also, I've had a small brass ring in the pistol pocket of my leather jacket for years.

If I'd had my way, I would've worn my 101 Dalmatians t-shirt every single day when I was a kiddo.

All the nondigital special gore effects tactics that I've picked up from watching the extra features on horror movie DVDs came in handy when I had to mix good fake blood and rig up squibs for a college film.

My computers are never small. I ran one out of a Lucky Charms box for a while in college, though.

More complex knot-tying, and I'm not telling why. [Big Grin]

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2006 03:39      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:

Define complex.
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2006 08:52      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:

You want to be a sailor? [Big Grin]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 29, 2006 09:12      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My annual income. [cry baby]

A little cowboy jacket with those long fringes on the sleeves.

Recently, that Geek Culture is Canada's largest exporter of propeller beanies. [Geek]

Does a calculator watch count?

Playing hookie. [Razz]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2006 18:33      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy wrote:
Geek Culture is Canada's largest exporter of propeller beanies

For real? I mean, did you show up on an import/export report somewhere or... ?

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture