homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Logolepsy, among others

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Logolepsy, among others
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 16:59      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Kokogiak Media, providing freelance Web design and Web design/authoring tools."

I don't even know how to begin describing this site 'cause it's chock full of all sorts of interesting things, not the least of which is his tips and tools for Web design. Alan currently works for Monster.com, but he's also worked for MSNBC and Amazon.

I stumbled upon this site while using OneLook.com. It pointed me to the "Luciferous Legolepsy" page, dedicated to bringing to light 9000 archaic and rarely used words in the English language.

Check it out at www.kokogiak.com [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 13:50      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonnie - I couldn't resist the "Luciferous Legolepsy" page [Smile]
Initial exploration has elicited:

acediast
n. - a person who is slothful or wickedly lax when it comes to spiritual or religious matters

and

autothaumaturgist
n. - the coy or cagey person whose mission is to appear mysterious or quite remarkable

Now... do we all know someone who fits these descriptions? [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 14:30      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're referring to someone in particular, I'm clueless, but in general, I'd say "yes."

Isn't that page great? I never knew those words existed!! [Eek!]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 01:17      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I probably would qualify as an "acediast" [Wink]

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 06:44      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:

Same here - I love words.

The page owner's favorites include skirr, which is a new one on me, and has a great definition to boot. But the word listed below it, skive, is not at all archaic. All who work with leather use that word and its variations regularly.

Anyway - great link. I've bookmarked it in my fun searches folder. Thanks, Rhon. [Wink]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 31, 2006 08:55      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Initial exploration has elicited:

acediast
n. - a person who is slothful or wickedly lax when it comes to spiritual or religious matters

and

autothaumaturgist
n. - the coy or cagey person whose mission is to appear mysterious or quite remarkable

Now... do we all know someone who fits these descriptions? [Big Grin]

I'm both.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture