homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » biodynamic cheese

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: biodynamic cheese
charlesdrex
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted January 22, 2006 20:13      Profile for charlesdrex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are one of only about a dozen places in the United States of America that makes its raw-milk cheese on their own family farm from their own
grass-fed cows
Our cheese is made from only our own cows' raw milk.
Raw milk cheese has much more great flavor than pasteurized cheese, and it has two to three times the amount of digestible vitamins and minerals than pasteurized cheese. [Applause]

[thumbsup] web page

--------------------
crazy..... cheester....

Posts: 1 | From: Cebu City Philippines | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 20:13      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what the FUCK does this have to with this forum?

smells like spam to me, gtfo

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 20:19      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
umm, sorry to break it to you, but the Philippines aren't in the United States. At least, not last time I talked to my friend who freaking LIVES there!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 18:03      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
umm, sorry to break it to you, but the Philippines aren't in the United States. At least, not last time I talked to my friend who freaking LIVES there!

I guess that was more recently than 1946 then huh (I guess technically it was granted commonwealth status starting in 1935). But you never know maybe charlesdrex is a time traveller from from sometime between 1899 and 1935.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
JB
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 06:52      Profile for JB         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...smells like spam to me.... [/QB]
I don't think I'd care to eat cheese that smells like spam. [Eek!]

JB

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 09:02      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try the Marin French Cheese Company. They're pricey, but the garlic brie is the best cheese I've ever had.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 09:30      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been there! I think the camembert I bought was a little young. It idn't have the same flavor I'm used to. I ought to go back there, it was a fun drive.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 09:40      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to read the thread name 2 or 3 times before I finally understood wtf that word was.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 10:13      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm lactose intolerant AND I hate advertising so I'm REALLY pissed!!!!
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 10:16      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Biodynamic" is not a word I've heard before. Every time I read the title to this thread, I get the mental image of a wedge of cheese in a wind tunnel. [Razz]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 10:17      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I've been there! I think the camembert I bought was a little young. It idn't have the same flavor I'm used to. I ought to go back there, it was a fun drive.

LOL...

I remember a friend complaining that the only thing to see in Petaluma was the cows. And the other cows. And more cows. (My friend lived in Petaluma at the time.) After driving out to the Point Reyes National Seashore (how I discovered the Marin French Cheese Company), I saw that he wasn't really wrong.

Hmmm... I may just break down and order something. I wish they offered an assortment pack of the bries though. I have emailed them to suggest one. Nachos made with blue corn chips and Marin's Jalapeno brie... yum.

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 10:20      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
I'm lactose intolerant AND I hate advertising so I'm REALLY pissed!!!!
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Then why did you open a thread with cheese in the title?

And it's only advertising if I benefit from posting the link.

[Wink]

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 18:52      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think biodynamic is a very hippy dippy theory of agriculture postulated by Rudolph Steiner, who is better known for his ideas on education. It is basically organic culture but with some extra stuff where certain activities like planting, pruning etc are timed by the phases of the moon. It sounds slightly nuts, like a sort of astrology for plants, but it has become quite fashionable in the top flight Burgundy vineyards. As all good Burgundy is stratospherically expensive, I am afraid I cannot afford to find out if it works!

As to how this might relate to cheese making, I am ignorant (and rather puzzled).

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 23:43      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
still has only *one* post on the forum, i reiterate my previous statement

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 07:09      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hold everything, this is important! Geordie, when did you change your avatar?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 12:51      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even remember Geordie's previous av. [shake head]

--------------------

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 13:43      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say we all visit this guys web page, over and over, to eat up his bandwidth allottment for the month... and don't buy anything from him.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 17:21      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMK...that is a wonderful idea. When people post web sites within the first couple of posts, I do not visit them unless I see safe (meaning accessed by others here first). But for this, I will make an exception.

Geordie...I love that av.

edit: I probably should spell check first.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 22:02      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Hold everything, this is important! Geordie, when did you change your avatar?

I think I probably have a record for the longest time without a custom avatar. I've been a Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan since 2002 and last Friday I finally got around to responding to Snaggy's email saying I could have a custom Avatar.

There might just be a little more to the story though. The avatar itself goes back to 1995. A woman I knew only online wanted to meet for dinner while she was in my town for an antique perfume bottle convention. She asked me to send her a picture of myself so she could identify me in the hotel lobby. As a joke I scanned my driver's license and whipped up a simple lo-res black and white image using the photocopy filter and a few other filters in Photoshop.  - Jeanie thought it was amusing and she decided she did not need anything more detailed. When I walked into the hotel lobby she instantly recognized me. Ever since I have used it when I have needed a personal avatar or icon.

So... I bet you are wondering why I have not been using it here. Back in March 2004 when Snaggy mentioned the custom avatar thing to me, I figured I would just use gxerox.gif, but although it looks fine against the white background, on the forums the posts alternate with a light grey background and against that the image looked less than optimal.

I immediately started playing with placing the image in picture frames and such so that the image could continue to seem to float in a sea of white and bleed off into the background. No matter what I did, I wasn't happy with the result so I just let it sit for awhile.
Every 6 months or so I would try a new idea, but none of it was quite right. A couple of months ago I came up with the idea of making it look like a doodle on the torn corner of a piece of paper. A few google searches later for techniques and I had something serviceable (although I still prefer the original on a white background). The only problem was by then I had stopped posting on the forums. Once the MacWorld meet-up reminded me of how much I enjoyed this place, I started posting again. At that point it became pretty clear I need to stop using the van Gogh avatar and so I sent off an email.
 -

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 08:51      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geordie:(though somewhat edited by garlicguy)

There might just be a little more to the story though. The avatar itself goes back to 1995. A woman I knew only online wanted to meet for dinner while she was in my town for an antique perfume bottle convention. ... Jeanie thought it was amusing and she decided she did not need anything more detailed.

A "little more to the story"? Seems to me that would be the understatement of the week. So are you and this 'antique perfume bottle' chaser an item? Is her name really Jeanie? Hmmmmm. The mental images are intriguing....

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 19:05      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
A "little more to the story"? Seems to me that would be the understatement of the week. So are you and this 'antique perfume bottle' chaser an item? Is her name really Jeanie? Hmmmmm. The mental images are intriguing.... [/QB]

Jeanie and I have never have been an item. However there are some interesting stories of later meetings involving Margaritas and public nudity which would fall under the category of a lot more to another story... but seeing how those stories and pictures already exist somewhere in this vast internet of ours, I won't be sharing them today.

Oh and yes Jeanie is both the first half of the name she uses online and her first name.

--------------------
Geordie

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 20:19      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...involving Margaritas and public nudity...

"I'm a Jeanie in a bottle, baby. Gotta rub me the right way, honey."

You can't tell me no one else was thinking that! [Razz]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture