homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » GPL v3 first draft published - check it out!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GPL v3 first draft published - check it out!
Darren Duncan
Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1694

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 14:41      Profile for Darren Duncan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As scheduled, the first draft of the new GPL v3 license has been published by the Free Software Foundation.

See http://gplv3.fsf.org/ for the license itself, rationale information, and a forum in which to leave your comments on it.

I have read the entire license, and part of the rationale. In my own reading, it looks good and I don't recognize any parts that would be problematic. And I see parts that are improvements. Its also quite easy to read, and I'm not a lawyer.

Barring some strange unresolved revelation, I plan to explicitly relicense my own work under this version 3, which was previously "version 2 or later" once it finalizes in the next 6-12 months.

Posts: 27 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 16:05      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer the perl artistic license, as it allows my code to be used in closed-source applications, but my work remains open-source.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Darren Duncan
Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1694

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 18:26      Profile for Darren Duncan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I prefer the perl artistic license, as it allows my code to be used in closed-source applications, but my work remains open-source.

I decided to go a different route. My important code is available to the public in a mostly pure GPL form, which I think is best for increasing the pool of free software.

I say "mostly" because my public license includes an exception for linked but independently functional components, so people that hook in my stuff as an optional feature rather than a required feature can keep their existing license for their parts when they are distributed together. I may revisit the details of this, but that is the case for now.

In any event, since I am the sole owner of the code, I can sell a proprietary license to people that want to include it in closed-source applications. And I think this is perfectly fair since those that want their stuff closed-source would be doing so to to increase the money they make, so its reasonable for me to want a cut. Basically what MySQL AB does.

Posts: 27 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture