homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Mac News!!111!!1!1

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mac News!!111!!1!1
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 15:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just been doing a little bit of reading online, and stumbled on some /very/ interesting news that's made much less press.

Play WMV files in Quicktime!
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/flip4mac.mspx
[See warning at end of post]

Finally, it's free (it was previously available as a codec for $$$, IIRC)

What do you know - for all my dislike of Digg, I did find it from this page, which was Dugg (I was following a link about Digg & Greasemonkey initially)
http://www.unsanity.org/archives/000445.php

Also of note is the fact that Google Earth is now available for the Mac. I installed it last night, and it's just as good on my Mini as it is on my Wintel box at work. Now I can use it at home...w00t!

Warning!
I understand there are problems with Quicktime 7.0.4 which was just released yesterday. See this page for updates:
http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 15:31      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Yvonne over at Fiddle Forum, of all places, posted the news about GoogleEarth for Macs last night. I'd love to install it at work 'cause it would definitely help track down client locations, but I'd need special permission from our net admins. [Frown]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 18:34      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been using Flip4Mac for some time. It is excellent, and there are very few Windows Media files that it will not play. Now that it is free it gives MS a reason to drop their extremely half hearted efforts to develop the dreadful Windows Media Player for the Mac. Good riddance.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 18:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
n.b. Original post updated with a caution...please heed it.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 01:13      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got to share todays diesel sweeties about the new imac. Had me ROFL'ing like crazy.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 18:04      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

FYI Flip4Mac have now released an update that deals with the QT 7.04 bug.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 21:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

FYI Flip4Mac have now released an update that deals with the QT 7.04 bug.
Indeed they do, and I've installed it. It works pretty well! I had a certain bit of satisfaction in dragging the 'Windows Media Player' folder into the Trash. [Big Grin]

I tested it out on this: http://musicvideocodes.com/?song=1384 , which was linked off Leander Kahney's Wired blog. Seem familiar?

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture