homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » in case you missed it....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: in case you missed it....
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 3 posted January 11, 2006 07:02      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
apples closing stock price was 80.86
the same day they announced the new x86 macs

oh teh ironing...! [crazy]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 08:30      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I don't follow stocks, that doesn't really help me unless I know what their opening (or at least a previous) price was.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 08:33      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Since I don't follow stocks, that doesn't really help me unless I know what their opening (or at least a previous) price was.

~ $76 And it hit ~ $79.80 before any mention of intel based macs was even made.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 08:47      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
oh teh ironing...!
I had to point that out...lol

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 09:12      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It's the price of $80.86 that's the irony because 8086 is an Intel processor.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 11:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________How many remember back to the 4004 or it's child the 8008. This was back when a word processor took up a filing cabinet, and you did not have a monitor you had to edit on the fly. To check for errors took paper lots of paper.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 12:44      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
___________________How many remember back to the 4004 or it's child the 8008. This was back when a word processor took up a filing cabinet, and you did not have a monitor you had to edit on the fly. To check for errors took paper lots of paper.

A better question might be who is old enough to have been around at that time? [Smile]
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 15:14      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
quote:

It's the price of $80.86 that's the irony because 8086 is an Intel processor.
Doh! Of course I would miss the obvious part. [crazy] Thanks Bibo.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 15:23      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so what's the difference between the new iBook and the MacBook Pro? Anyone find complete specs on those two machines yet?

EDIT: Oh, stupid me. It's a new iMac, not iBook. Oy.

2ND EDIT: Someone at work asked what the "i" means in "iPod." I looked it up on-line and came up with "Internet-revolutionized" from some forum. Is that correct?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 17:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DNF______________I guess just me.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 18:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 'i' in iPod is meaningless - it was branding to follow the iMac. The 'i' in iMac certainly did reference the Internet, as it was trying to follow the growing buzz back then. It's quite amazing, and somewhat tragic that people now equate Apple with iPod, and not the other way around. Hell, Apple traded on it in a weak way when the iMac G5 came out, saying 'From the creators of iPod'

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 18:37      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

A better question might be who is old enough to have been around at that time? [Smile]
Uhm, me. [Smile] I don't remember exactly what TheMoMan is talking about, but the numbers are ringing vague little bells in my head. Hey it's hard trying to remember all those past years. This dinosaur has a hard enough time remembering to pick her son up from school. sigh. I wish I remembered what it is like to have a memory.
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 06:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YaYawoman:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

Uhm, me. [Smile] I don't remember exactly what TheMoMan is talking about, but the numbers are ringing vague little bells in my head. Hey it's hard trying to remember all those past years. This dinosaur has a hard enough time remembering to pick her son up from school. sigh. I wish I remembered what it is like to have a memory.
I'm 23, and I have no memory at all -- never have. And I don't even have an excuse for it.
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 10:23      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always had a horrible short-term memory -- I can forget to do something I just said I had to do five seconds ago (like turn into that gas station up there). But I can clearly remember many events from my early childhood some 30 years ago. Wierd.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 11:22      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
DNF______________I guess just me.

Are you kidding? You haven't lived unless you played chess against one of these . Considering the refresh rate while it tried to read program code off a cassette tape at 300 baud, you could walk to the kitchen, open and pour your beer, then return to the game before it was ready for your next move.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 12:54      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
I've always had a horrible short-term memory -- I can forget to do something I just said I had to do five seconds ago (like turn into that gas station up there). But I can clearly remember many events from my early childhood some 30 years ago. Wierd.

Yea, fortunately for me, Amanda has noticed that I don't even hear MYSELF talk, so she doesn't get mad when she has to repeat herself something she told me 5 minutes ago because I've already forgotten.
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 13:29      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy
You haven't lived unless you've played chess against one of these

That's a little before my time.....but I do remember playing Munchman on one of these. [Happytears]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 16:40      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GG & Grummash_____________I remember them both, Grum. I see you had the speach syn. That machine really had some awesome power at the time 3Mgz 16 Bit 48k of ram. Every one else was still stuck in 8 bit and 2Mgz. I did write an assembly program for the Ti that you were flying a starship using the joy sticks for nose up & down R & L and the other stick for throttle and menus. The program used every bit of memory the poor little guy had, one of my daughters was always looking at the code to see how I did it, but see only knew basic, the other daughter would hold down the warp speed button untill the timer I had written would slow her down to allow the warp engines to cool down.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2006 14:16      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never had a chance to play with the TI, but I learned how to BASIC on my friend's Trash-80. Sound effects for TR-80 games: put a radio right next to the computer and tune it to a frequency where you can hear the computer's emissions!

Them were the days. [Big Grin]

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2006 14:29      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
quote:

That's a little before my time.....but I do remember playing Munchman on one of these. [Happytears]
if that's before your time, you'll flip on this computer

and yes, you can program it, so it counts as a computer [Big Grin]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2006 14:36      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ooooh... there is something about this device which is ringing a little bell at the back of my mind [ohwell]
Did we see these devices in the UK in 1982 or thereabouts?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2006 19:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-ct- wrote:
if that's before your time, you'll flip on [URL=http://i24.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/ec/ea/da_1.JPG]this computer

I still have one of those packed away in a box somewhere (my new year's resolution hasn't dug that far down yet). The closest you can come to programming it is by pressing the buttons to make a tune and having it repeat that tune back to you, but that isn't exactly programming a computer.

Still, it was one of the more entertaining handheld games that I had as a child.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2006 20:27      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
quote:

My thumbs got so sore playing that game, and boy did it eat batteries!
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture