homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Anonymous Annoyances

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anonymous Annoyances
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 12:53      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Create An E-Annoyance, Go To Jail

I am so fucked.

Also, does anybody else think that it's ridiculous that this is couched in the Violence Against Women act? I'll give 'em a black eye but good... [Razz]

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 15:04      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am so fucked.
...maybe so, but it must be nice to know that someone is so worried by the strength of your convictions that they are trying to legislate you out of existence [Big Grin]

But seriously...this is such a poor piece of legislation, it could almost be English! And "Violence against Women"? Why not "Violence against the Citizen"? I am not intending to downplay the issue of violence against women, but I thought that the point of a modern society was to be inclusive [ohwell]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 15:23      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey President Bush:

You are a fucktard. I actually had respect for you for a while... a long, long time ago. Now it's been flushed away like so many of the civil liberties you have endangered.

May your political career be short and fruitless.

Sincerely,

Pat O'Hara

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 15:25      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who wants to bet that Pat Robertson was behind this disaster?!

(Today's political cartoon was right on. I know the Apostle Paul said in Philippians that "Some preach Christ out of contention" and yet "Christ is glorified," but I doubt he was dealing with Pat Robertson!)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 16:41      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
Hey President Bush:

You are a fucktard. I actually had respect for you for a while... a long, long time ago. Now it's been flushed away like so many of the civil liberties you have endangered.

Sincerely,

Pat O'Hara

Today, in Communications we're doing debates on Intelligent Design in science classrooms in public high schools. And one of the pro side's arguements today was "George Bush himself said we should teach it, so that must be good enough"
I started laughing, I nearly got kicked out.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 23:48      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Violence Against Women ... Act
It was slipped into a bill that needs to pass or there will be no money for the federal court system. We do need a full time judiciary; however, we do not need a full time legilative branch. These people vote to set their own pay, they sit arround passing meaningless laws (most laws the congress and senate see are things that consitutionally should be handled by the states) and slide cheap riders into bills so they get re-elected.

Looking at that "...without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy..." It vauge enough that I think almost anyone can get out of it, either by saying "I made no unreasable attempt to hide my identy, beyond that of simple cyber security. I mean, I don't want any crazy cyber-stalkers following me arround." Or, by saying "It wasn't my intent to annoy," and every know how hard it is to prove intent.

Dumb law, invasion of idotcy, but at least it has no provability.

Rhonwyyn,
What's Pat Robertson got to do with this? Haven't seen any thing related to him about it come it.

Inteligent Design
Origin, any version, isn't science, it's conjecture. The subject of origin doesn't belong in a science course, not the "the first living thing was bactria formed by the mixing of XYZ chemicals" or the "God said 'let their be life...'" There are millions of possible ways life on this particular rock could have started.

The obvious defence against Inteligent Design is the Flying Spaghetti Monster [ http://www.venganza.org/ | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster ] and the pastafarian movement. ... Keep in mind, the pastafarian movement also attacks enviromentalists -- so be prepared to do your part for global warming and dress like a pirate.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 01:52      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Pat Robertson statement was in reference to all his stupid proclamations lately. If you can access the link in my post, it shows Tuesday's editorial cartoon with Pat Robertson. I'm a Christian, but even I get ticked off when people make complete fools out of themselves and say completely idiotic things like he has.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 06:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hey President Bush:

Sincerely,

Pat O'Hara

Because 2 terms (which is also the limit) in the United States oval office is fruitless? Because governer of Texas is fruitless?

Unfortunately, that idiot's accomplishments are far beyond his competence already.

And if he gave a flying fuck what *anyone* else thought in this world, do you think he'd be ALIVE today, much less president of the United States of America? *snicker*

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 07:42      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find this thread very annoying.

[Razz]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 08:23      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
To grease the rails for this idea, Sen. Arlen Specter, a Pennsylvania Republican, and the section's other sponsors slipped it into an unrelated, must-pass bill to fund the Department of Justice. The plan: to make it politically infeasible for politicians to oppose the measure.
From the looks of things, Bush didn't have much of a choice in signing it or not by the time it came to him. It seems this Pennsylvania Senator and some unnamed others get to bear the brunt of the blame for the crappy law.

Maybe Rhonwyyn can send her senator a nasty letter for us. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 09:14      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The time and money used for this stupid f*cking law was a waste. It should protect citizens and not just woman but was it this important that a bill had to be passed for it? Retarded....But wtf do I know, I just pay taxes and no one here can count correctly! Sh*t!

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 13:29      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matias:
The time and money used for this stupid f*cking law was a waste. It should protect citizens and not just woman but was it this important that a bill had to be passed for it? Retarded....But wtf do I know, I just pay taxes and no one here can count correctly! Sh*t!

I was going to ask if you RTFA, but apparently, I was the one that needed to re-read it... It was also slipped into a bill also pays for a federal judiciary... So, even if this one didn't pass,this clause would still have made it into law...

quote:
...and the section's other sponsors slipped it into an unrelated, must-pass bill to fund the Department of Justice.
And everyone on the site laughed at me when I said that legislative branches should go back to being part-time and only in times of crisis... Proof that they have too much time on the hill.

--------------------
My Site

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 20:10      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just in case, I'd like state for the record that my name is Bill and my purpose in life is to be endlessly annoying to you all [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 21:25      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Hey President Bush:

Sincerely,

Pat O'Hara

Because 2 terms (which is also the limit) in the United States oval office is fruitless? Because governer of Texas is fruitless?

Unfortunately, that idiot's accomplishments are far beyond his competence already.

And if he gave a flying fuck what *anyone* else thought in this world, do you think he'd be ALIVE today, much less president of the United States of America? *snicker*

You know, there is political life after the presidency. I'm saying that he pulls an Ariel Charon and his political career, while already having been long, is cut short.

And thanks for the whole America jab, that's just what I needed after finding my freedom of speech endangered and a possible racist/sexist being interviewed for the position of a supreme court judge. [shake head]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 22:23      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
and a possible racist/sexist being interviewed for the position of a supreme court judge. [shake head]

Tack "ableist" on there while you're at it, nwnf.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 23:01      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I have read about this bill, the couched annoyance law suggests a total lack of understanding of how things work on the internet not to mention it seriously abridges the first amendment. If anything, I believe we should stick with enforcing the laws we have on libel and so forth. It's a shame the authors had to attach their names to the bill. (That would have been rather handy.) [shake head]

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 09:38      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean really, how would this be legislated? Are cops going to be hanging out in IRC looking for annoying people? They won't have to look too far.

I'm not really sure how the local police would respond if I asked to press charges against Y_helo_thar6969 for annoying me (the name is purely arbitrary, but I'm sure it's been used somewhere by someone).

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 11:47      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
I mean really, how would this be legislated? Are cops going to be hanging out in IRC looking for annoying people? They won't have to look too far.

I'm not really sure how the local police would respond if I asked to press charges against Y_helo_thar6969 for annoying me (the name is purely arbitrary, but I'm sure it's been used somewhere by someone).

Perhaps, but the RIAA and others have filed "John Doe" lawsuits to get ISPs and others to reveal the identity of their customers/users.

*sigh*

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 16:46      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just realized... How many people calling this bill an infringment against the freedom of speech are for anti-spam laws?

Spam is anonymous and it wouldn't be hard to argue an intent to annoy a customer into buying the product. If this law were applied this way would you still be up in arms?

I would, but I think a lot of people would turn tail on the issue.

--------------------
My Site

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2006 06:29      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:

Perhaps, but the RIAA and others have filed "John Doe" lawsuits to get ISPs and others to reveal the identity of their customers/users.

*sigh*

Which has resulted in 70 year old women who don't own computers, dead people, and poor families with no internet access at the receiving end of those maggots' court claims.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture