homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Great Drink Recipes (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Great Drink Recipes
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 14:07      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like this site: www.thebar.com a lot, they have a lot of drink recipes, some rare ones too, and the materials they suggest are top-notch. Plus, there's a virtual bartender that demonstrates pouring. Whaddaya think?
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 14:23      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greatest drink recipe ever:

1. Pour vodka into a large glass
2. Drink
3. Repeat

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 15:31      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
zesoviet wrote;

Greatest drink recipe ever:

1. Pour vodka into a large glass
2. Drink
3. Repeat

In Soviet Russia the vodka drink you!
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 15:56      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Open bottle of your choice

Pour.

Drink.

Continue until sated or you fall over...

Problem solved...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 17:50      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Splitpeasoup, please forgive my over suspicious nature, but do you have any connection with Diageo, the drinks company that this site promotes, the people who created the site, or indeed the other poster who spammed this site here very recently?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 19:33      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there is a connection, it would surprise me. Spammers generally don't bother spending a year posting intermittently to a forum before they start spamming.

I'd say SplitPeaSoup is probably kosher

Unless you make it with ham. Then not so much

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 03:17      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may be right Steen, and if so I hope the soup will forgive me, but my main suspicions arose from the way he talks up both the site, and the products it is there to advertise, when IMHO both are expensively produced and glitzy looking but underneath nothing very remarkable. The site is just there to puff the brands, and is not very upfront about it, the sort of fundamentally dishonest exercise that gives advertising a poor name.

I am probably biased, as I hate all that consumerist labels and brands bollocks. I believe that most of the time the best stuff is that made by small independent producers with a real passion for what they do, rather than the expensively advertised products of multinational corporations. I will however admit that my daughter attended a blind tasting of various gins at the swanky hotel where she has a part time job, and the premium Tanqueray gin, a Diageo brand, easily came out top, (but it is also very expensive).

--------------------

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 03:47      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not into the whole 'drinking' thing I hear people like to do these days, but I do love Tiki Bar TV. Check it out for a laugh (episode 9 is the second to funniest thing I've seen on the internet). I think. And everyone likes Lala, because she's pretty.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted January 10, 2006 05:44      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a bland, self serving corporate web site! The pitch Guiness and Baily's, but don't list one of the most effective blendings of them.

Irish Car Bomb
1/2 pint Guiness
1 shot Baily's
1 shot Jameson

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 09:43      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
What a bland, self serving corporate web site! The pitch Guiness and Baily's, but don't list one of the most effective blendings of them.

Irish Car Bomb
1/2 pint Guiness
1 shot Baily's
1 shot Jameson

Guess what Fluff? They don't own any Irish whiskeys, let alone Jamesons. I don't think it is fair to call the web site bland, as it is quite unusual, but apart from being as phony as a 3 dollar bill, it's trying too hard to be hip in a rather sub James Bond way, and ends up just embarrassing like dads at the disco. It would be better if they used an actual cocktail barman, rather than an actor, but perhaps a real barman would not want to restrict his choice of "top notch materials" to the products of just one company.

I love your link Maximile. [thumbsup]

--------------------

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 12:46      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Irish Car Bomb
1/2 pint Guiness
1 shot Baily's
1 shot Jameson

Wow, we do 'em with the whole pint at my bar. You pour the pint, let it settle, take a sip, drop in the shots, and down it before the cream curdles.

My favorites, outside of straight whiskey, are:

The Screaming Nazi
1 part Jaegermeister
1 part Rumpleminze

Mix in a shot glass, light it on fire. Blow it out and down in one gulp.

The Red-Headed Slut
1 part peach schnapps
1 part Jaegermeister
cranberry juice to taste

Great in a martini glass.

(I'm a girl who loves her Jaeger, what can I say?)

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 14:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your recipe for an Irish car bomb reminds me of the recipe for a cement mixer, but it's been years since I earned my cert, so I forget it. Someone care to remind me? And if you know what's in it, have you ever had one? Is it as disgusting as it sounds? (The chunks spook me.)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 20:25      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, you all have it wrong...

1.) 8 tea spoons Swiss miss or other choclate milk mixing powder
2.) couple of cups of water
3.) a dash of milk
4.) Two large sqeezes of the finesest liquid choclate syrup you can find
5.) put into the Hot Choclate machine and turn it on....
6.) It'll stop when it reaches the proper tempature and mix... When it does, press the froth button, and dispense into large mug.
7.) Add marshmellow and/or whipping cream and top with a drizzle of dark choclate, optionally finish it off with a candy cane.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 20:42      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:
Irish Car Bomb
1/2 pint Guiness
1 shot Baily's
1 shot Jameson

Wow, we do 'em with the whole pint at my bar. You pour the pint, let it settle, take a sip, drop in the shots, and down it before the cream curdles.

My favorites, outside of straight whiskey, are:

The Screaming Nazi
1 part Jaegermeister
1 part Rumpleminze

Mix in a shot glass, light it on fire. Blow it out and down in one gulp.

The Red-Headed Slut
1 part peach schnapps
1 part Jaegermeister
cranberry juice to taste

Great in a martini glass.

(I'm a girl who loves her Jaeger, what can I say?)

In that case, don't forget the effed up mofo and instant death [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 12:35      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
If there is a connection, it would surprise me. Spammers generally don't bother spending a year posting intermittently to a forum before they start spamming.

I'd say SplitPeaSoup is probably kosher

Unless you make it with ham. Then not so much

Thank you for the vote of confidence. And the funny joke that as a Jew I appreciate. I have no ham in me. [Smile]

No, I'm not pushing www.thebar.com, but I also don't think it's a hollow site. I found out about it on another board and have been using it for a few months, I think the drink recipes on there are unique and useful, and I'm no good at following written directions so the demonstrations are also good.

In regards to promotion, I think that people who promote websites for a living usually try to do so in a way that is sneaky and crafty, rather than just posting a link for people to enjoy. It bothers me that it's getting harder and harder to share links that I enjoy with people, as online marketing increases and so do people's cynicism.

That said, thanks for the drink recipes, I am all about them. Tonight I will be drinking a red-headed slut.

Democritus the Minor
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2006 01:35      Profile for Democritus the Minor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Liquid Cocaine:
1 shot rumpleminze
1 shot bacardi 151
1 shot jaegermeister

the jaeger coats the throat, the 151 goes straight down, and the 'minze lends a nice minty aftertaste. but remember, it's 5 shots worth of alky in a 3 oz. glass. sheer death. if you're good and you get a nice temperature differential, you can get it to layer...

alternately, sub 151 for goldschlager... makes it a mite pansy, though.

--------------------
We are 1447. We are better than 1337.

Posts: 42 | From: Chicago 'Burbs | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2006 11:38      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard of that Liquid Cocaine drink only I heard it as "The Four Horsemen" and it had one other liquor in it, but I dunno what.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2006 12:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Ah, you all have it wrong...

1.) 8 tea spoons Swiss miss or other choclate milk mixing powder
2.) couple of cups of water
3.) a dash of milk
4.) Two large sqeezes of the finesest liquid choclate syrup you can find
5.) put into the Hot Choclate machine and turn it on....
6.) It'll stop when it reaches the proper tempature and mix... When it does, press the froth button, and dispense into large mug.
7.) Add marshmellow and/or whipping cream and top with a drizzle of dark choclate, optionally finish it off with a candy cane.

GM, you forgot to add the shot of rum.
Very nice on a cold winter night.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2006 16:44      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Liquid Cocaine:
1 shot rumpleminze
1 shot bacardi 151
1 shot jaegermeister

I have had it this way before...
1/2 oz Bacardi® 151 rum
1/2 oz Goldschlager® cinnamon schnapps
1/2 oz Jagermeister® herbal liqueur

I love this drink. No one should be surprised. [crazy]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 13, 2006 16:58      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Open - pour - drink

It all comes out the same in the end... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2006 23:39      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my drink (since you brought up Jaeger):

1 shot Jaegermeister
1 shot dark spiced rum
few drops Tabasco

But, I don't have a name for it. So, I decided to have a contest. If anyone's heard of this drink before let me know, if not feel free to make a suggestion. If I choose yours you will get credit for naming the drink, and I'll finally have something to call it [Wink] .

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 13:23      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The spicy drinks are my favorite. Here's a unique one (again from thebar.com):

Ingredients
• 1.5 oz. Don Julio Añejo Tequila
• 1 28 oz. can of tomatoes
• 1 cup orange juice
• .03 cup lime juice
• 1 slice white onion
• 1 seeded green chile
• 1 tsp. sugar
• .25 tsp. hot pepper sauce
• 1 wedge lime
................................................................................
Preparation
• Add tomatoes, orange juice, lime juice, white onion, green chile, sugar, and hot pepper sauce in a blender
• Blend until smooth and pour enough to fill a tequila shot glass
• Add Don Julio Añejo Tequila to another tequila shot glass
• Garnish with lime wedge

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 13:37      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
  • Coke
  • Vanilla

Mix together.

Drink. [Razz]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 18:34      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by splitpeasoup:
The spicy drinks are my favorite. Here's a unique one (again from thebar.com):

Ingredients
• 1.5 oz. Don Julio Añejo Tequila
• 1 28 oz. can of tomatoes
• 1 cup orange juice
• .03 cup lime juice
• 1 slice white onion
• 1 seeded green chile
• 1 tsp. sugar
• .25 tsp. hot pepper sauce
• 1 wedge lime
................................................................................
Preparation
• Add tomatoes, orange juice, lime juice, white onion, green chile, sugar, and hot pepper sauce in a blender
• Blend until smooth and pour enough to fill a tequila shot glass
• Add Don Julio Añejo Tequila to another tequila shot glass

Fruit and vegetables DO NOT go together!! Ick!
[Embarrassed]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 13:03      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Fruit and vegetables DO NOT go together!! Ick!
[Embarrassed]

What about a nice spinach salad with slices of pear or tangerine? What about spicy lentil dal over barley rice with chunks of dates in it? Fruit and veggies totally go together. Sounds like someone has never eaten gourmet food.

Though, I agree that Sangrita drink is something I only could drink under specific circumstances. I dunno, though, I drank a bloody mary the other day, almost the same, thebar.com calls it a "Bloody 7":

Ingredients
• 1.5 oz. whiskey
• 3 oz. tomato juice
• 2 dashes hot sauce
• 1 dash salt
• 1 dash pepper
• 1 wedge lime
• 1 stick celery
Preparation
• Add whiskey, tomato juice, and hot sauce to a highball glass with ice
• Add celery stick, salt, and pepper to taste

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture