homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » serving the country...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: serving the country...
jdpworld
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 18:28      Profile for jdpworld   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
serving the country...

Today's lifestyle dose not commit to Anything more than two or three weeks at time…We're asking these young people to commit for 160 weeks. And these days they don't even stay married that long…

--------------------
http://jdpworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=700.0

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 18:41      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this some kind of troll?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jdpworld
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 19:08      Profile for jdpworld   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One can be tempted to leave it all behind, or to go for the kill like the coyote, But Scripture is right when it says we're simply one among the flock….

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted January 04, 2006 19:21      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let this be a lesson to you kids, don't post while high. [crazy]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 19:29      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jdpworld:
serving the country...

Today's lifestyle dose not commit to Anything more than two or three weeks at time…We're asking these young people to commit for 160 weeks. And these days they don't even stay married that long…

Well then first question.

What the fsck are you asking them to commit to? A stint in the woods getting to know nature? Bible school? Heavy meditation, followed by a cyanide pill for lunch? What?

quote:
One can be tempted to leave it all behind, or to go for the kill like the coyote, But Scripture is right when it says we're simply one among the flock….

And I do believe that this one can best be summed up with a ... Huh?

How about this? Instead of the rambling half-thoughts of a mental patient. Give us a clear concise post that describes these basic facts.

who?
what?
when?
where?

Perhaps no one here will be interested. But at least we will all know what in the world you are talking about.

m-kay?

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
jdpworld
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 19:44      Profile for jdpworld   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
quote:
serving the country...

Well then first question.

What the fsck are you asking them to commit to? A stint in the woods getting to know nature? Bible school? Heavy meditation, followed by a cyanide pill for lunch? What?

quote:

And I do believe that this one can best be summed up with a ... Huh?

How about this? Instead of the rambling half-thoughts of a mental patient. Give us a clear concise post that describes these basic facts.

who?
what?
when?
where?

Perhaps no one here will be interested. But at least we will all know what in the world you are talking about.

m-kay?

The answer is not in the drugs or the alcohol. The answer is in the drums and in the circle

--------------------

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 19:48      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask not what your country can do for you...Ask what the f**k has it done for you lately!
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 19:55      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The answer is not in the drugs or the alcohol. The answer is in the drums and in the circle

Or the pot and the 'shrooms, I think.

--------------------

jdpworld
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4771

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted January 04, 2006 19:59      Profile for jdpworld   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I think".....is good.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 20:16      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Did someone say drum circle?

Drugs and debauchery, hidden under the guise of music and peace. Yay!!!

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 20:40      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like my drugs and debauchery up front and blatant, thanks. No point in being all coy about it.

--------------------

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 21:22      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I'd let people know that when I turn 18 I do plan in serving my nation. My best friend and I are probably going to enlist together.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
BronzeG3
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2590

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 00:44      Profile for BronzeG3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
I thought I'd let people know that when I turn 18 I do plan in serving my nation. My best friend and I are probably going to enlist together.

Serious question, not a troll: Why? Feel a patriotic duty? Want to make a career out of it? I have a great respect for the men and women that serve, I just don't understand why they do it.
Posts: 44 | From: VTech | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 01:20      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question is, are we really serving for our nation when we join the army.

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 05:24      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You serve no one but yourself when you join the Army. You serve your nation and the world as a United States Marine.
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 06:16      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jace: I have the utmost respect for the Marines, but I think that 'you serve your nation and the world' is debatable. The Marines are duty bound to serve the nation (and uphold that duty), but right now our nation is not serving the world. IMO, our exectuive branch is sacrificing Marines for their own private agenda.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 08:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugurcan:
Question is, are we really serving for our nation when we join the army.

That depends on you and where you live. If you're doing a year of service because it's mandatory I'd say you're just trying to stay legal. That's what my bf was doing when he did his year in his country's army.

The US has no mandatory service requirements so the people in our military are in it either to serve the country (Jace fits into this category) or in it to get a college scholarship or some other incentive.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 11:24      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Jace: I have the utmost respect for the Marines, but I think that 'you serve your nation and the world' is debatable. The Marines are duty bound to serve the nation (and uphold that duty), but right now our nation is not serving the world. IMO, our exectuive branch is sacrificing Marines for their own private agenda.

There is a big misunderstanding when people think about the Marine Corps. Here is a little Perspective.

The Marine Corps is just that, a Corps.
We are comprised of 4 Divisions. One is held in reserve. 3 Active duty Divisions. A total of about 179,000 Marines.

The Army is comprised of its HeadQuaters and 5 Divisions plus Augmenting Persons, Not to include their reserve and Guard.

The Marine Corps is a force of readiness. Deployed around the world as a Police force and an Invading force. We are not an Occupationary force. We go in, stabalize and turn over to the other 3 branches. We do not need the congressional approval to activate and deploy to foriegn soil. We are the only "Branch" that can deploy to a foriegn nation by only the Presidents whim.

Regardless of what we are doing, we serve our nation. You, the people, chose our president. Wether you voted for him or not, the majority ruled. The people here want to be liberated, they are being served, not only by us but by the Austrialians, The Brits, The Ugandans and many other nations.

Disclaimer: Diddn't mean to rant, nor am I pissed. Original post was meant as sarcasm.

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 18:36      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but I think that's my point. If you can be deployed by the President, without congressional approval, you serve the President, rather than the nation. IMO, he's been acting as a free agent, without regard to what serves the Nation. I think the Marines are dutifully doing a job that never should have been asked of them.

Any way, we're playing semantics here. If you're happy being a Marine, I can't really argue with you. You provide a valuable service. I just don't believe that because the Marines are doing something, that it is always the right thing to do and in our nation's best interests. That is, I question the orders the receive from the top.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 12:32      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who elected this president? Who holds the ability to impeach the president?

Something you never do is question orders. You and I dont see the big picture nor have the information that the "Higher Ups" have to be able to make said decisions.

Do I agree with my duties? That is irrevelant.

Point being: If you have a problem with it, do something about it. Complaining gets nothing done.

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 20:37      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
go for the kill like the coyote

Aren't coyotes scavengers?

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture