homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » 2006 Predictions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2006 Predictions
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 06:32      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this page on PCWorld.com today.

Who will merge with who? Will Ipod get any smaller? Will Gates be richer? Will Google blind us with a new trick? Dust off your magic balls [Big Grin] and share your predictions for 2006.

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 06:45      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling that as Google expands its prowess, it might meet hostility from companies whose niches have been intruded by Google. Gmail has already taken many away from Yahoo and other email services. Perhaps they have a photo-storage service in mind? In which case, Flickr might start to cry foul. However, I think that fear may be overblown, especially since GoogleTalk isn't replacing Skype any time soon.

"Predictions are hard to make, especially when they're about the future."

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 07:06      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see Microsoft having a change of pace involving their stance on open source. Maybe they'll be a little nicer, maybe they'll be a little more supportive, I don't know, but they'll do a major change of tune.

Google will continue to expand like Robert Downey Jr's waistband.

Apple will see a small surge with their intel based systems, but it will level out.

The first virus that is malicious to the end user will hit -- all the network based viruses that've been seen out there at this point have just attacked networks or made computers a pain in the ass -- the first virus will come out that will actually format the user's harddrive, or overwrite their bios, or something equally evil.

2006 will also see blogs (thankfully) start to decline, and livejournal or myspace will be bought up by somebody big.

That's my predictions for '06.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 08:59      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
...In which case, Flickr might start to cry foul.

I think Flickr have enough to complain about already (re the Yahoo takeover).

Anyway, my 2006 prediction? Bye bye Windows...

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 10:31      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here's a prediction for the year 2014... [Big Grin]

Actually, it's funny - Google is on course to beat those predictions within record time. I'd say they're halfway there already, with Google Maps, Google Earth, and Google Reader.

BTW, goo - I think Google is closer than you think. [Wink]
http://picasa.google.com/index.html
http://hello.com/

Re: Google Talk
http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/pressrel/twaol_expanded.html
...and I quote:
quote:

Enabling Google Talk and AIM instant messaging users to communicate with each other, provided certain conditions are met

http://googletalk.blogspot.com/2005/12/jingle-all-way.html
(from Sean Egan!!!)

and a further explanation:
http://googletalk.blogspot.com/2005/12/what-is-libjingle.html

Where Google is today:
-Kickass search engine for text matches
-Increasingly great image search tool (GIS)
-Online map system that leaves jaws dropping...that is now cross-linked w/local listings
-SMS search features that leave Verizon and their ilk cowering about their stupid 411 services
-Froogle searches for shopping - bye-bye, Pricewatch & co.
-Extra search features that don't interest most people: Google Groups, Google Blog Search, etc.
-Google News!
-Google Reader - a great feed aggregator
-Google Search History/Personalized Search - letting you take advantage of what Google already knows...
-GMail!!! The best webmail...ever! The online irony I find with it is that I find it's search feature to be subpar. Go figure.
-code.google.com & Google Summer of Code -- contributing to the Open Source Community (after all, Google runs on Linux [Smile] )
-Google Earth - neé Keyhole -- quite awesome
-Google Base -- if teamed with Froogle, eBay should start looking for a big white flag [Wink]
-Picasa, hello.com, Blogger, and other similar acquisitions - what Google intends to do with them, I'm not quite sure.
-Google Talk - great quality micro-VOIP (not at the telco level /yet/)
-Google's WiFi VPN; public hotspots to come; large dark fiber network; Google Space (@Heathrow), etc.
-AdWords/AdSense - the stuff that pays for all this, and remains pretty unobtrusive, unlike the awful Flash ads and gooey graphics that are the plague of the web.

Have I missed anything?

That's right, ladies and gentlemen...Google is poised to take over the Internet - and they have Vint Cerf near the helm!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 14 posted December 27, 2005 11:03      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I predict that I will break all my new year's resolutions by the end of February.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 12:52      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen, I think I'm going to have to steal yours. [Applause]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 13:10      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gets out magic ball....hmmmmm

Predicts Peebs will get little sleep....

Spungo and some sheep will..... best not to go there.....

Libraries will have funding cuts......

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 13:29      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
Gets out magic ball....hmmmmm

Predicts Peebs will get little sleep....

Oddly enough, I've been sleeping pretty well most nights. Yay for breastfeeding and co-sleeping. We wake up, I plug her into the boob, we both go back to sleep. I still get 8 (mostly) consecutive hours of sleep a night.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 21:29      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I plug her into the boob
...you mean the collective Jungian universal boob? The infinite ever expanding teat and mound that connects and keeps the space/time continuum in check? The one we all are a part of for all time?

Could you let me know where it is or how I channel into it? [Confused]

Oh yeah... predictions... ahhhh...

2006 will see the first unquestionable sign that we're overextending ourselves as a species (resources available proportionate to population). But no one will pay attention to it.

The gaming industry will continue to dominate the movie industry.

THE RIAA will sue an unborn child for downloading unauthorized "Mozart for the Womb" mp3s.

SUVs will get bigger.

The reforms attempted by Khatami will be completely undone by Ahmadinejad in Iran.

ahhh... umm...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 00:04      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My prediction.

Things will slowly but surely get smaller and smaller, but later on in the year the focus will be ultimate functionality, and aesthetics can kiss its ass good bye.

The iPod will begin to flop. It's a (relatively) short lived success, I believe.

A new form of media (in respect to dvds and cds) will begin to take forefront towards the end of the year.

Congress and Senate will reach an agreement making music downloading legal, but uploading it illegal.

Tobacco companies will take a kick in the balls, and several of my friends and even family will be rich off of quotas being met by the federal government, and my friend Thompson will buy a new truck with his.

The world will realize that the true cure for depression is more licorice.

Ok, I'm way off, but who knows?

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 06:29      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

2006 will also see blogs (thankfully) start to decline, and livejournal or myspace will be bought up by somebody big.

IIRC, myspace is already owned by that Rupert Murdoch company.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 09:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
My prediction.

Things will slowly but surely get smaller and smaller, but later on in the year the focus will be ultimate functionality, and aesthetics can kiss its ass good bye.

The iPod will begin to flop. It's a (relatively) short lived success, I believe.

I don't think you realize how much people value being able to do stuff easily. Most people can't handle the steps involved with loading files onto an MP3 player otherwise. iTunes makes it mind-numbingly easy. Hell, I like iTunes as a music player - using it now on my Mac mini. [Big Grin] (And controlling it with Dashboard.)

A new form of media (in respect to dvds and cds) will begin to take forefront towards the end of the year.

Ugh...I fear the day I have to deal with 'yet another form of media.' I don't see that stuff coming for at least another year, but I may be wrong.

Congress and Senate will reach an agreement making music downloading legal, but uploading it illegal.

The only people who don't understand that are the public, as told to them errantly by mass media. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it - leeching (downloading without sharing) is OK, uploading is 'criminal.' The latter is deemed to be willful infringement of copyright, the former is more of an 'accidental happening of negligible value.'

Tobacco companies will take a kick in the balls, and several of my friends and even family will be rich off of quotas being met by the federal government, and my friend Thompson will buy a new truck with his.

Just don't smoke. I'm sick and tired of this overly litigious society that says "$ue, $ue, $ue!!!" I still want to see the tobacco industry collectively rolling around on the ground squirming, though. [Smile]

The world will realize that the true cure for depression is more licorice.

Nah, chocolate and coffee, silly. ;P

Ok, I'm way off, but who knows?

Google knows. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture