homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Yet another reason to move to Canada.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yet another reason to move to Canada.
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 09:46      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry in advance. I find this story at Reuters amusing.
May be NSFW depending of where you work.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 10:42      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pfft, as if Canada wasn't already the best damned country in the world. [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 12:22      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

Newf, I hate to be pedantic, but 'most' and 'best' are not really interchangeable. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 12:29      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow - a bona fide sensible mature Supreme Court ruling!
Way to go, Canada [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 12:40      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

Newf, I hate to be pedantic, but 'most' and 'best' are not really interchangeable. [Big Grin]
No one ever said they were. [Wink]
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2005 16:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy was convicted in 1999 for allowing people to have consensual sex in private where no money changed hands and absolutely nothing illegal transpired. It only took 6 years and a supreme court decision to overturn that verdict.

Frankly, I'm a bit underwhelmed.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 23, 2005 13:49      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wait for the religous nuts to declare that The World's Going To Hell! as a result.

Notably - they try to tie in the age of consent issue - which is completely unrelated. Although a fourteen year old may "consent" to have sex, they are not considered legal adults. The ruling applies to _adults_.

Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2005 14:09      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Groggle's fixed link:
http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/dec/05122104.html

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2005 15:58      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...I know having group sex is not illegal but goodness. [Eek!]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2005 18:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matias:
Wow...I know having group sex is not illegal but goodness. [Eek!]

No politician will ever make group sex illegal, after all - they're screwing the entire country !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2005 12:57      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for fixing my botched link...
Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2005 11:51      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Groggle:
Just wait for the religous nuts to declare that The World's Going To Hell! as a result.

Notably - they try to tie in the age of consent issue - which is completely unrelated. Although a fourteen year old may "consent" to have sex, they are not considered legal adults. The ruling applies to _adults_.

Canada's legal age to consent to sex is 14.

Unless the older party is in a position of authority (police officer, guardian, babysitter, teacher, etc) then the legal age of consent becomes 18 in those situations.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture