homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Richard Pryor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Richard Pryor
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2005 06:15      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget his career in films, and if you haven't already seen it, watch "Live in Concert", and you'll understand why he is missed. It is the funniest record of a standup act I know of. He was that much overused word, a genius, which makes his chaotic and tragic private life all the more poignant, but I hope he will always be remembered at his finest. I don't imagine that there can be many standup comedians anywhere in the world, who have not been influenced by him.

Poor bastard. [Frown]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
CloneArmyCommander
Geek
Member # 4665

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2005 06:22      Profile for CloneArmyCommander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked See No Evil Hear No Evil. . . now that was genius [Big Grin] . I think he and Gene Wilder were perfect together.
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2005 07:31      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, he was the greatest. His relating the whole incident when he was freebasing was the funniest thing I'd ever heard. It happened to be tragic at the same time, which what was good about Pryor. BTW- it is spelled P-R-Y-O-R. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2005 09:29      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. Funniest stand-up there's ever been. [Frown]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2005 11:08      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't go as far as to say funniest standup ever, because that would be putting him above Lewis Black, George Carlin, Dennis Miller, and Denis Leary.

He certainly belongs in the category of "best comedians ever" with them, but I'm not sure I'd put him at the top of it.

Either way, he's missed, and it keeps pissing me off that good people like him, Johnny Cash, John Ritter, and John Candy all die too early, and people like Enya continue to live. :S

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2005 14:16      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GMx - apologies for misspelling his name

dnfm the people you mention are excellent, but firstly I don't think many of them would be the performers they are without him, he was a huge influence and inspiration. I also think Richard Pryor's gift was of a different order, though of course, this is always a subjective judgement. Among other things, the way he could create a character and then inhabit it was almost magical - he simply became that dog in the story he was telling, and his performance is brilliant theatre. How he drew on his most personal and painful demons transforming them into pure comedy gold without the slightest hint of self indulgence was also without parallel. But at bottom for me it is just how achingly funny he was. There are very few standup comedy videos I would want to watch more than once, but this is an exception.

I am with Spungo. He was the best.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2005 14:22      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:

No problem... I am also with Spungo. The others pale in comparison. It's a shame he made a few bad movies like The Toy.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2005 15:03      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Superman III.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2005 21:32      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's right up there with Lenny Bruce in comedic innovation. And he was almost as crazy. [Big Grin]

Big loss.

[Frown]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2005 02:35      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drunkennewfiemidget wrote:
I won't go as far as to say funniest standup ever, because that would be putting him above Lewis Black, George Carlin, Dennis Miller, and Denis Leary.

Oh, I'd definitely put Richard Pryor (and the others you've listed) above Denis Leary

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2005 08:01      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For the actor Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor was simply "better than anyone who ever picked up a microphone."
Very true!

I am behind. I did not know this happened. My dad used to listen to his stand up in the car on the way to picking us up and bringing us home. He loved him and thought he was the funniest men alive, which opened my eyes to the type of comedy he produced. He will be missed. [cry baby]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2005 11:01      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:

dnfm the people you mention are excellent, but firstly I don't think many of them would be the performers they are without him, he was a huge influence and inspiration. I also think Richard Pryor's gift was of a different order, though of course, this is always a subjective judgement. Among other things, the way he could create a character and then inhabit it was almost magical - he simply became that dog in the story he was telling, and his performance is brilliant theatre. How he drew on his most personal and painful demons transforming them into pure comedy gold without the slightest hint of self indulgence was also without parallel. But at bottom for me it is just how achingly funny he was. There are very few standup comedy videos I would want to watch more than once, but this is an exception.

I realise it's all subjective, but to me, what makes a comedian good in the end is whether or not he can make me laugh, and if so, how hard. Richard Pryor gets a good gut busting laugh out of me, but not like the others I mentioned.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture