homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - whether the weather

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five - whether the weather
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 10:28      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are a day early, but I'm only working a half day tomorrow and will be swamped here and running after a 2 year old at home. Our weather is taking a sleet and snow nosedive, hence my topic.

1. What is your favourite season?

2. Do you like having 4 seasons or would rather live someplace warm all the time?

3. What is your favourite warm weather vacation spot?

4. What is your worst weather story?

5. Would you be a storm chaser if you could?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 11:04      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Winter, by far.

2. Four seasons seems to work for me. If We did just have one, I'd prefer it to be cold all the time.

3. Spain.

4. A few light winds... snowed in once... nothing major.

5. Yeah, I think so. It seems that they're the ones that know enough to actually act safely, so why not?

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 12:32      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What is your favourite season? Spring and fall. If they could just run together that would be great. I do like snow, but have harder time coping with it anymore.

2. Do you like having 4 seasons or would rather live someplace warm all the time? Do want 4

3. What is your favourite warm weather vacation spot? St. Augustine, Florida. I would like to visit Spain or Italy. Actually that may not count as I would want to go there to be warm.

4. What is your worst weather story? I survived Camille. It ripped the roof off part of our house though. I will always remember the noise of a hurricane.

5. Would you be a storm chaser if you could? I would love to, but I am not brave enough

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 12:40      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spring and Fall are my favorites. I like the transition periods between too cold and too hot.

2. Do you like having 4 seasons or would rather live someplace warm all the time?
I like the changes that seasons bring. Warm all the time gets old.

When it's warm I prefer to be in the mountains where it still gets nice and cool at nights.

The summer as a kid when our air conditioning went out early on, and my parents couldn't afford to fix it. It was a fairly warm summer, too, with a lot of days over 100 degrees, and several up to 110 (farenheit, obviously). I could tolerate it during the day, but trying to sleep in that heat was miserable.

Probably not. It's a little too much time in a vehicle for my taste.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 12:47      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Autumn (fall) wins hands down - it's usually nice and cool but bright and sunny. ... and somehow, it's very sexy [Wink]

You have to have four seasons, and they all must be very different in character. How else would you know that time was movin' on?

I don't have a favourite vacation spot, and if I did, it would be cold not warm.

A fishing trip in the Irish Sea (Morecambe Bay, for those of you who know it). A 40ft open boat, a Force 7 storm, and waves as high as a four- storey building. Some people were very seasick, but I found that the belief that you are actually going to die, settles your stomach like nothing else!

Definitely. But watch 'em from a safe distance, mmmmkay?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 12:56      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite season is spring. (Although it's Winter in Vivaldi's suite - but you already knew that. [Wink] )

I prefer four seasons. Having a month or more of heavy rain like in most tropical places doesn't appeal much to me. And snowstorms still have a special place in my heart.

Warm-weather vacation spot? I wish I had one... But I guess I would prefer places where I could do things I can't here, like ocean diving, jungle hiking, archeologic sightseeing, along with cultural discovery.

May I switch "worst" with "most memorable"? (I didn't really suffered from the great ice storm a few years ago, and that's the crazyest weather I've encountered so far.) There was that summer day, in Quebec City, when, coming back from work, it was raining so hard an umbrella was pretty much useless. So, not long after getting off the bus, I took off my shoes and socks, and walk barefoot to my appartment. I was soaked, of course, but the rain was warm, so it really wasn't a problem - just a good reason to put in comfortable clothes and take it easy.

And yes, I would _love_ to be a storm chaser. If only the pay was as good as what I make now. (You know, one can get used really fast to have extra money to spend...)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 16:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I pretty much like parts of all of the seasons.

Yes here in Michigan we have more than four seasons as during each one we have flashbacks and fastforwards

Saginaw Bay fishing

Being caught in a storm in RI that the locals called a Montreal Express.

I am a storm chasher!

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 17:52      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
I am a storm chasher!

I'm Batman!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 21:50            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer, I think. When the foliage is a lush, vibrant green, and the ladies...well...wear less. [Wink]

Pamela likes the 4 seasons. I'm OK with them myself, but I wouldn't mind someplace warm, either. But I probably wouldn't want to go someplace much colder than Denver.

No contest: Maui. I was there for a week back in 2001. I may never get back there, but I'll never forget it either.

I've already told it on these boards...slipping on black ice and screwing up my leg last February. My leg still isn't totally back to normal, although my orthopedist is pleased with my progress.

Only if I get to crank Van Halen on the stereo while doing it. (now cueing up "Humans Being" from the Twister soundtrack and rocking out! "Shine on, shine on..." [Cool] )

IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 22:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I hate this question. Lemme get a coin...

Heads.

Winter.

Tails was summmer. THere's all sorts of fun stuff for me to do in both seasons.

Four seasons, but I'm a real sucker for the maritime climate the PacNW has.

Uhh... Any place mountainous will do the job.

Okay. I spent half my childhood in the DC area and the other half in Seattle. I went to college in Rochester, NY. Now I live in CO. I've made an attempt at climbing Mt. McKinley. And now you're asking me to pick????

Okay. Here's a bad one. I got caught in this thunderstorm on top of a peak in Bolivia. I had to shelter in a crevasse. I also had to ditch almost all my gear because there was static on the mountaintop and we were afraid we'd get hit by lightening. I heard the static in my helmet. When I think about it too hard I can still hear the static. It also snowed in this storm, so on our ice-axe-less descent back to base camp we couldn't see any crevasses and our leader either punched through or fell in three cracks. I, the middle climber on our three-man rope team, found crack number four by plunging in to my armpits (I caught myself on the edge just as my bro, who was positioned behind me, dropped into an axe-less arrest; luckily for us the slope angle was very low so he could hold my fall). I don't now how I fell in but the leader, who was bigger than me, didn't. Another group went up the next day to retrieve all the gear we left behind. And that, my friends, is how my childhood fear of storms came back to me with a vengeance.

No. Hell no. I'm so storm-shy it's almost funny.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 06:42      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer

I'd rather live in a warm, sunny climate. (Saying this as it is 13 degrees F outside right now)

I liked Bermuda when I was there.

When I slipped on ice and dislocated my elbow. Then after finally managing to get up and walking a little further, slipping again and smacking face first into the pavement, breaking my nose.

Sure, why not.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 08:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TO ONE AND ALL___________________________If you see this logo on the side of a blue Dodge pickup parked beside the road unless you want to see the storm get away.

http://www.anythingweatherstore.com/product_page.asp?ProductID=2564

I am there because I am watching for the dryslot.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted December 09, 2005 14:14      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Summer

2. I would prefer a spot at 86 F, overcast, with a pre-dawn light (just slightly brighter than twilight)

3. in my shared computer room or on my bike

4. Watching a guy I know run and jump off the stairs (4 steps 8'long total) and hit a 4' X 10' patch of ice. (not bad...Funny)

5. You buy me the truck

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 17:49      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Winter! 'cause you can bundle up and snuggle up with a book!

I don't like spring. The changing of seasons from winter to summer should be done in an instant, not this goopy slow change. (Night's my favorite time of day, too, can you tell?)

Lime Cay off Jamaica in the Caribbean. The water is clear, a bright blue I've never seen before, and the sand is white and warm. Three hours there was definitely NOT long enough.

Don't have one that I recall. I used to hate thunderstorms, but I love them now. Mom hates them.

Yeah, if someone's with me. It's fun driving in bad weather when you're with a good friend or lover. It's just really cozy like that.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 20:07      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Winter. I love the barren snowy wasteland, and I especially loved the thundersnow we had today. (Mid-blizzard, we got thunder and lightening that shook the building I was in. Bloody beautiful.)

Neither, I'd like summer to be like October here, and winter to be like Novosibiersk.

Someplace cold, where it snows a lot and gets dark early.

Sunburns, ahoy! I tend to look like I've been broiled by the middle of every summer.

Probably not.

YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 20:59      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your favorite season?
Fall. The different colors are awesome, and the air is very crisp and the sky icy blue.

Do you like having 4 seasons?
Yes. I wish I had enough money to just pack up and travel for a long weekend to anywhere at anytime though. Winter blues? Go to Jamaica for a quick hop. Sticky august? Head north. Oh well.

What is your favorite warm weather vacation spot?
I really liked the Bahamas.

Worst weather story?
I broke my knee tobagganing in an ice storm in 10th grade. Sadly, it had been my idea to go. We got hit in the emergency room parking lot too. It was funny, because the guy who hit us looked in the back and saw me laying in the back seat moaning and groaning holding my leg and he turned whiter than the snow. He thought he had hurt me.

Would you be a storm chaser?
Nope. I love storms but from the comfort of my front stoop.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 22:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your favorite season?
I'm not sure - it's a toss up between spring and fall, though I think I'd probably pick fall (less rain). I love cool weather, though the start of fall is usually nice enough that I can go around without a jacket, and then later on, just need a very light one. I /much/ prefer winter to summer, though - despite that white stuff I had to deal with today.

Do you like having 4 seasons?
What's the alternative? If I could do without the very high heat of summer, I'd be quite happy.

What is your favorite warm weather vacation spot?
Well...there's that catch of not loving 'hot,' but I suppose these days I'd pick San Francisco - usually has 'perfect' weather whenever I've gone there. Last time I was there (August), I didn't bring a jacket, and was actually bordering on cold at times. I had come from near 100 F weather in NY, and was taken by very pleasant surprise. It was heaven.

Worst weather story?
Can't think of one off hand. I do have several memories of walking through very heavy rain||snow storms, though. Today was /fun/, though - my exit to work off the highway wasn't plowed...so I had to come go from 45 MPH to a complete stop...atop snow. More than a few profanities were uttered when I realized I would have to steer precisely to get my wheels right over the previous grooves created by the cars that had gone before me. To add insult to injury, the off ramp is downhill - but it all ended up fine. I coasted most of the way, and applied the mildest of braking over part of it.

Would you be a storm chaser?
Hell no. Can't see any good reason to chase after storms, when Murphy dictates that they'll chase me. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture