homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » It was 25 years ago today...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It was 25 years ago today...
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted December 04, 2005 14:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
25 years since the world lost John Lennon.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertainment/2002658655_lennon04.html

I remember that night, it was an awful, sad, shocking moment for so many. But I'll also never forget the next few days, the tributes and the memorials, and the peace marches, when the world did seem as one.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 15:33      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertainment/2002658655_lennon04.html

I remember that night, it was an awful, sad, shocking moment for so many. But I'll also never forget the next few days, the tributes and the memorials, and the peace marches, when the world did seem as one.

Let's not forget how the world forgot it's peace, how for years to come people tried to show that he was working with Satan, was a bad role model, etc.

"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame." ~ Oscar Wilde

And dumbass people who post sites like this are the ones who really show that most people don't now much about what they are insulting.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 22:19      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was really young when that happened (it happened on Dec 8th), and I had no idea who Lennon was at the time. But I remember playing with Legos and the news suddenly going absolutely beserk. My parents were never Beatles fans, but some friends of theirs were really upset. Only about 5 years later did I finally discover the Beatles for myself. And each generation seems to rediscover them.

Lennon, like everyone, had flaws. His quotes in the Beatles Anthology are sometimes shocking. He also had problems with women and heroin. And Elvis Costello's line "was it a millionaire who said imagine no possessions?" rings a rather sour note. But despite all of that the guy just seems to hang around and inspire generation after generation.

I went to Paul McCartney when he was in town recently. The first thing my friend and I said when the concert ended was "Lennon would have never done a show like that". Lennon provided the perfect balance to McCartney. And neither of them never quite hit the same heights on their own. Interesting story, great music.

...and right after Pearl Harbor day, too. Geez what a depressing week... [shake head]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 08:26            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The death of John Lennon is a pivotal moment in the movie Mr. Holland's Opus, which is a very significant movie to Pamela and me (it was our first date movie). I commend this movie to your attention.
IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 09:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

I was -2 years old.. I don't remember crap.

It's unfortunate he's not more than just a legacy though.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 09:49      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in college and got really cheesed at my roommate who said I was overreacting.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 10:39      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in college as well. I don't remember any reaction at all. I was much more blown away by Keith Moon's death two years before that. I heard about that on the radio while packing for college. I think the difference is that two years later I realized the world couldn't care less if I was upset by Lennon's death. I had committments and they wanted them delivered.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 12:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was working for the government at the time, and the guy at a nearby desk was named John Lennon. He was one of those perpetually angry people, who liked to rant to us about the latest thing that annoyed him (usually people having fun without proper permission) and describe in vivid detail the forms of torture he would dish out to various 'wrongdoers' if he had his way.

He had a near flawless attendance record, but this particular day he was absent from work for the first time anyone could remember, and when a workmate put his head through the door and announced "John Lennon's been shot" we all assumed it was our John Lennon he was talking about, as we could all readily imagine him acting in a manner that would cause people to shoot him.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 19:20      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had purchased John Lennon's latest album, "Double Fantasy," earlier in the evening of December 8, 1980.

I took it home, and as was my practice recorded the album on "metal tape." ( the equvalent to what ripping is today). I had to go to work early the next day; I was in college and was putting myself through school working on the loading dock at UPS. Since it was the holiday season that meant the shift started at 4:00 AM.

I went to bed early and put off throwing away the wrappings and receipt.

The album (an ancient form of musical reproduction believed to have existed when dinosaurs were alive and most of your parents were failing to realize that glint in their eyes would result in you), has never been played again and still contains the receipt dated and time-stamped 8:47 PM, December 8, 1980.

I heard the news (that day, oh boy) as I drove to work in a snow storm early the following day. My co-workers and I were stunned and worked very quietly the rest of the day.

Buried in later reports (by the so-called "liberal media," hmmmm) but reported early on is that the assailant, Mark David Chapman was a conservative born-again Christian who admitted to shooting Mr. Lennon because "he didn't believe in Jesus," referring to the song, "Imagine," and an earlier statement that the Beatles were "Bigger than Jesus."

According to American conservative and Christian voice Pat Robertson, views inc conservative Christian circles accepting this kind of action haven't changed much since then.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 19:36      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Pat Robertson's worldly. He supports radio and TV! [Eek!]

(In other words, most Christians would agree he's a crackpot and says things for the shock value and not the love value.)

I never realized John Lennon died after I was born. I always thought he died years before that. Wow.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture