homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - countdown to the 25th

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five - countdown to the 25th
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 11:45      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a dent in my preparations on Friday or so I thought I'd do a holiday list.

1. Do you shop ahead or wait until December?

2. Who is the hardest person to buy for on your list?

3. What do you want most for the holidays?

4. Do you have a cookie or dessert you make every year?

5. Have you ever found the perfect gift for someone?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 11:58      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a dent in my preparations on Friday or so I thought I'd do a holiday list.

Shop? This is christmas, people shop for YOU

Heh, girlfriend. I have no clue what to get her, and I won't ask her cause she doesn't want me getting her anything to begin with.

An AMD FX57, Socket 939 clocket at 2.8 Ghz. Only one grand or so, not that expensive [Wink]

No.

No.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 12:01      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Do you shop ahead or wait until December? I do some shopping ahead, but find I've forgotten all kinds of things when I look in my gift box in November

2. Who is the hardest person to buy for on your list? My dad and stepmom. It used to be my grandpa. They have everything they need or they get it for themselves.

3. What do you want most for the holidays? Since my mom's death I've done the stockings for my brothers and sister in laws. I would really like it if someone remembered to do one for me.

4. Do you have a cookie or dessert you make every year? I make a mean mincemeat shortbread cookie. You need to make the recipe from the boxed mincemeat. I think this is the recipe I use. http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1919,146184-248199,00.html

5. Have you ever found the perfect gift for someone? I found Hello Kitty Tarot cards once and was pronounced a gift giving goddess.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 12:44      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Bit of both.

My mom. For everyone else, if inspiration doesn't hit, I'll get a straight anser when I ask what they want.

Good news at my sister's next CT scan.

4. Do you have a cookie or dessert you make every year? My mom makes these cookies that we decorate with cream cheese frosting...

Routinely. I'm good like that. My siblings argue over whose name I get in our annual drawing because they know it'll be good.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 12:50      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bugger Christmas. When we were kids on Christams Eve my Dad used to tease us by saying "where's my gun, Ma? If that fat bastard and his flea-ridden reindeer try to land on my roof, I'll blow his goddamn brains out."

Now that I'm old, it just means a vast drain on my credit cards - for all the little ungrateful brats I get guilted into buying expensive crap for. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6520 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 12:56      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
December. But I have most of my shopping done already, so ... it's not that late.

The people who are new on the list.

Decent food. With garlic. And olive oil. And plenty of ginger (not necessarily all together).

Does Hagendaazs count?

Yes - a DVD of Deaf theater. Then I got a second email: "sorry, due to unforseen circumstances, we won't be releasing this performance on DVD until March of next year".

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 13:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere around now is when I do my shopping.

My father. He's cryptic.

Not-superficially: Rowan's loser biological father to do the right thing, realise Rowan doesn't like him, and to just go away and get the fuck out of his life so he can be happy and we can all move on.

Superficially: A 19" LCD monitor.

Not that I make, no. I *LOVE* shortbread though.

Not really.

Posts: 4894 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 14:05      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shopping doesn't usually happen until the week before Christmas. I'm a mess like that.

I just made a new, er 'friend'. I have a feeling he will be completely impossible. Though he did hint at a space-hopper.

To see my friends as often as I want. Ooh, and some waterproof boots would be nice [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

I buy the same Christmas pudding and custard every year from Marks and Spencer... does that count? [Razz]

This is utterly, utterly perfect for one of my housemates.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 22:53      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
80% shop ahead, but some stuff can't be decided until the last minute.

Mrs Grummash - she keeps on changing her mind, and she doesn't like surprises.

A bit of peace and quiet... and some good single malt.

No. I used to make a really good Christmas cake every year, but when you cost in your own time, it's makes more sense to buy one.

No. But I expect I'll keep on trying

[shake head]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 00:51      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait until December, of course! Christmas shopping in July takes all the fun out of Christmas shopping.

My mom, because when I ask her what she wants, she always says "Oh no, I don't want anything..." so I just have to take my best guess at what she really wants [Big Grin]

Peace and quiet.

No, but I might start making a sweet potato casserole every year, because apparently I make a very good one.

Yes. Last year I found a chemistry textbook at a yard sale, written in 1925 by a professor from the University of Chicago. I got it for my friend who has the exact same name as the professor [Smile]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 10:11      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't actually start looking for presents until after Thanksgiving, though I might occasionally come across a good present and buy it earlier.

Edit: I should specify that I start 2 days after Thanksgiving. No deal is worth the hell of shopping the day after Thanksgiving sales.

My Grandpa. He has what he needs, and doesn't really like newer, fancier stuff. He also has his birthday on the 26th, so I'm usually looking for two gifts at the same time.

I'm not really hung up on any particular gifts; I'm just looking forward to getting together with family and friends.

Two, generally. I've been making 8-inch-diameter peanut butter chocolate chip cookies for family and friends most years, as well as eggnog pie for the occasional gathering.

Occasionally. I just can't always afford to buy it. [ohwell]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 12:54      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you share the eggnog pie recipe? It sounds yummy!
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 21:44      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
Would you share the eggnog pie recipe? It sounds yummy!

Sure, I'll PM it to you.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.