homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » GGGGGGOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLL !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GGGGGGOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLL !
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 13:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Socceroos are in the World Cup ! [Applause] [thumbsup]

/me does a happy dance ! [Big Grin] [Applause] [Big Grin]

Condolances to Uruguay, losing an important match in a penalty shootout is a bitch.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10671 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 13:20      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! Arsetralia 1, Yourallgay 0 (4 - 2 on pens*)

They'll be dancing in the pubs of Earl's Court tonight!

(*In the event of an aggragate tie, both teams compete in a colouring-in show-down.)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 14:01      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my co-workers were pissed all day because his tema did not make it. He is from Uruguay. [Big Grin]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 14:29      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ewwwww, soccer [Razz]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 15:02      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
ewwwww, soccer [Razz]

Oh dear. I'm thinking' you'd best get under some asbestos sheeting, lad.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 16:40      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go team!!! Now if only I'd had time to watch it, rather than being at work at the time [Frown]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 18:05      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was there!

I was there!

The greatest moment in our sporting history.

It was the loudest Telstra Stadium has *ever* been.

I was at the Rugby World Cup Final, the Olympics (Freeman's run), and every NRL final for the past 5 years.

None of them could ever compare to the sheer amount of noise we made.

The best comparison I could give was that it was a bout as loud as AC/DC (in the pit).

What was brilliant was the amount of people who went to the game who were primarily league and union fans going to their first game of football.

Turkey lost! Turkey lost! Turkey lost! I can remain neutral about the Swiss no longer!

Hahahaha I may be sneakily arranging to go on university exchange next year to Germany [Smile]

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 20:12      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jordanv:
Turkey lost! Turkey lost! Turkey lost! I can remain neutral about the Swiss no longer!

In what way, good or bad?

Considering what happened after the match, Turkey are going to be in really big trouble.
Team officials and players attacked the Swiss team in their changing room. One player has ended up in hospital after getting kicked in the stomach, others have been injured. At the moment the Swiss do not even know how they are going to get their team out of the country. Talk about bad losers.

I watched the Australia - Uruguay match live on Eurosport, are you sure it was not a rugby match?

Anyway congratulations on the qualifying and maybe the two teams will meet at one point during the World Cup next year, in which case may Switzerland win [Wink] [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 22:17            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
Considering what happened after the match, Turkey are going to be in really big trouble.
Team officials and players attacked the Swiss team in their changing room. One player has ended up in hospital after getting kicked in the stomach, others have been injured. At the moment the Swiss do not even know how they are going to get their team out of the country. Talk about bad losers.

YIKES! I may have to ask Pamela if she's heard anything about this...she may have friends in Turkey who can give her the story.

Of the Turkish football clubs, she likes Galatasaray the best. (She even has a red-and-yellow cord decorating her bedside bookshelves, a treasured souvenir.) Not sure how many of their players might be on the Turkish national team.

IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 23:12      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having looked at the footage, for some weird reason one of the Swiss players kicked a turkey team official in the back.

The Turks promptly started rushing the Swiss and knocking heads in.

An absolutely silly thing to do from the Swiss man, but now the Turks are going to deservedly be penalised by FIFA.

Speaking of which - for the first time ever, Australia booed an opponent's national anthem. I mean serious stuff, they turned up the volume three times but the crowd just got louder until it was completely drowned out (I had to check the screen to see if in fact any music was playing, I could only tell from the fact that the singer seemed to be moving his mouth).

Is that usual for football? Or will FIFA penalise that also?

P.S. Galatasaray don't have as many players on the national team as they used to (the free football market at work).

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 16:37      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we will let FIFA deal with this in their own manner, i.e. fine both teams, slap on the wrist, naughty boys do not do it again.

Seriously, if Huggel (the Swiss player seen on the TV shots), did kick on purpose then he deserves to be punished. On the other hand what followed afterwards was just revenge for being knocked out.
Of course, the President of FIFA is Swiss, so now the Turks are accusing him of being biased, even before anything has been decided.

Sorry if this bothers you jordanv, but to me a lot of it smacks of being bad losers and not accepting defeat. Especially as there has been violence in Turkey before against foreign teams and fans, the two Leeds fans being stabbed to death for example.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 17:20      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, I'm Greek

I want to declare a national holiday in honour of Switzerland!

The Turks *are* bad losers, they tend to commit Genocide after losing wars!!

It appears the Turkish guy that got kicked actually tripped the swiss player first.

Come on, Come on, kick Turkey out of FIFA!

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 17, 2005 17:29      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL ok, no problem there, it was not obvious from your posts that you were Greek, so we are on the same side [Big Grin]

Sorry if I insulted you by thinking you were pro-Turkey.

Well as the days go by we will get the full story, especially as the boys are all home [Applause]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 18:00      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone should have said to these chaps: hey, man - it's only a game. [Wink]

--------------------

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 18:34      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:

Tell that to the England fans last saturday [Wink]

Anyway, go to bed, you know that you need your ugly sleep [Razz]

I mean I am doing the night shift at work, what is your excuse?

--------------------
Evil AI at work.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 23:56      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Someone should have said to these chaps: hey, man - it's only a game.

Spungo's right, it's only a game... and it's not even a very good one. Kicking an inflated bladder up and down a field. Bleh. [shake head]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 01:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

No, baseball is only a game, this is far, far more important...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10671 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 00:50      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer to shoot a 6oz piece of vulcanized rubber with a stick on ice. You get better action when checking the other guy into the boards.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 05:13      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
Of the Turkish football clubs, she likes Galatasaray the best. (She even has a red-and-yellow cord decorating her bedside bookshelves, a treasured souvenir.) Not sure how many of their players might be on the Turkish national team.

My girlfriend was going to bring me a Galatasaray shirt back from Turkey, then remembered I come from Leeds [ohwell]
Posts: 1142 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2005 05:19      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You get better action when checking the other guy into the boards.
Yeah, but it's kinda annoying the way they keep breaking up the fighting to play hockey. That just sucks. (Anyone seen Paul Newman's 'Slapshot'? Now that's hockey! [Wink] )

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture