homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Hooray! Sony to Suspend Making Antipiracy CDs!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hooray! Sony to Suspend Making Antipiracy CDs!
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2005 15:34      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooray, Hooray!

Even Homeland Security got into the act and crticised the sucker's "Gatesian" move. Well, they didn't say, "Gatesian," but geeks know what I mean.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/11/AR2005111100632.html

Can't wait to get a version of the latest Dave Matthews & Foo Fighers CDs without that freakin' parasite on there.

For a while, I was ready to take the Enola Gay out of the Smithsonian and get mid-20th century--once again--on those fellows.

Hooray! Hooray!

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 20:13            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but Sony just promised to suspend making CDs with the evil DRM. They didn't promise not to resume making them, or not to make any more.

Boycott Sony.

(Pity...they used to make good electronics, but their stuff is mostly overpriced crap these days. And I'm glad I purchased an Xbox instead of a PlayStation 2.)

IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 20:31      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Erbo on this one. I've tolerated copy protected CDs, but this is just too far. And if they get away with it, it sets a dangerous precedent for even worse stuff in the future.

And take the opportunity to tell your friends, if it arises. And whoever you know running Windows, help them if necessary to make sure autorun of CDs is turned off. The more people are aware of this crap that is being pulled here, the more people will consider taking action.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 20:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good news! Not only are some antivirus companies including definitions to remove the rootkit (and Kapersky released a free tool to do so), but Microsoft is going to include the definitions in their Malicious Software Removal tool (released monthly through Windows Updates), as well as in their anti-spyware tool. What can I say...they are doing the right thing, so I must give credit where credit it due.

/me goes off to eat some pie...Apple pie...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
musicbunnydancing
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3756

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 23:25      Profile for musicbunnydancing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's nice.
Posts: 46 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 06:50      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I find humourous is that they actually think it's going to stop their CDs from being duplicated in the real world.

*snicker*

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 10:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if you really wanted to be kind of evil...one could duplicate *other* CDs, and insert the Sony rootkit on them. The reversal of that would be better, though - stripping the crap off Sony discs. Still, it is certainly quite pointless, and has the potential to *really* hurt Sony BMG sales. Morons.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 11:00      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it interesting that, primarily because of this stupid move, Sony has earned themselves a spot right behind Microsoft as one of the most hated companies among computer geeks.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 20:44      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
I find it interesting that, primarily because of this stupid move, Sony has earned themselves a spot right behind Microsoft as one of the most hated companies among computer geeks.

Possibly ahead of Microsoft, since a lot of geeks are calling for a total boycott of all Sony products.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 23:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The really good thing about this whole fiasco is that it's given DRM CDs a bad name, and we can expect a decent interval before the zealots in the recording industry try that nonsense again.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 02:49      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Good news! Not only are some antivirus companies including definitions to remove the rootkit (and Kapersky released a free tool to do so), but Microsoft is going to include the definitions in their Malicious Software Removal tool (released monthly through Windows Updates), as well as in their anti-spyware tool. What can I say...they are doing the right thing, so I must give credit where credit it due.

/me goes off to eat some pie...Apple pie...

have a look at this article, it raises some interesting questions

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture