homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Kate Bush is back!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kate Bush is back!
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 06, 2005 00:53      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read last year that Kate Bush was working on a new album but had not heard anything more...
Tonight I was browsing the new weekly ad for Best Buy and see that her new album is out this coming Tuesday !! [Applause] I now see a single was released October 24th. I can't wait!

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2005 07:24      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa. I had heard about the "new album" about 4 years ago and had completely lost hope. After all, "The Red Shoes" came out in 1993 (though I heard that it wasn't one of her best). If she can pull off another "Sensual World" then I'm into it instantaneously. It sounds like the new one, "Aerial", runs for 90 minutes (I guess she had time to write plenty of stuff in some 12 years), has 2 CDs, and a concept running through at least part of it. The reviews I've read so far sound promising.

It's strange that she never really made it in the States. But maybe it's not so strange now that I think about the American music scene... [Razz]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2005 08:07      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She made it in the States-a few fans, at least! I love her!

She got more popular when "This Woman's Work" was featured in "She's Having a Baby"

Can't wait to hear the new stuff

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2005 08:44      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first exposure to Kate was the video for "Running up That Hill" on MTV (back when they played music videos for those to young to know the M in MTV stands for Music [Razz] ). I bought all of her back catalog on CD but at the time could only get them as imports. I know many Kate fans here in the states.
Actually my 1st exposure to Kate would be Pat Benatar's cover of Wuthering Heights, I just didn't know it was a cover tune until 1986 when I purchased "The Kick inside". I would put Kate at #1 on my list of favorite musicians.

Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2005 11:58      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
other than one vomit inducing track you won't be disappointed [Wink]
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2005 12:33      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've been playing the single a lot on BBC Radio 2. The Times has the video online

Arial - King of the Mountain

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2005 15:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Released 7th November... hey that's today!

/me dashes out to the shops....

(time passes)

Ok, listened to a couple of tracks, and Kate Bush fans won't be disappointed.

Ms Bush is certainly a geek-friendly musician, here's some lyrics from the second track, π (pi)

quote:
<sings>three point one four one five nine two six five....</sings>

(i wonder if I've broken some copyright law by quoting that?)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 10:14      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So - I have purchased a copy today, for the princely sum of 13.99. Mrs Grummash is going to be sooo pleased [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 10:46      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
So - I have purchased a copy today, for the princely sum of 13.99. Mrs Grummash is going to be sooo pleased [Big Grin]

Wow! CDs are expensive over there! I will be paying $14.99 (or 8.60) for it here in the states.
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 12:23      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wow! CDs are expensive over there! I will be paying $14.99 (or 8.60) for it here in the states.
If it turns out to be rubbish because she really has gone bonkers, it will be 8.60 over here very soon as well [crazy]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 12:35      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be buying it on iTunes for 7.99 assuming (a) it appears on tomorrow's New Music Tuesday list and (b) Her record company doesn't try and ask more than 7.99 for it on iTunes (I just wait for albums to drop to the correct price).

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 09, 2005 23:03      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up the CD(s) Tuesday before work and listened to disc 1 on the drive to work, in anticipation of getting the CDs I dug up my 9 year old discman so I could listen to the CDs at work since I would not have time to RIP them to my iPod. This circa 1996 discman has an amazing 10 second anti-skip feature [Roll Eyes]

Anyway I must say this Album was worth the wait! Disc 1 is a bit more on the pop side with just one track that is not all that great IMHO called "Mrs. Bartolozzi" or what seems to be the "doing the laundry" song "... Washing Machine Washing Machine Slooshy sloshy slooshy sloshy get that dirty shirt clean". The 2nd disc is my favorite, and my guess will be the favorite of the 2 for many Kate fans.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture