homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » British citizenship test (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: British citizenship test
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 10:05      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were talking about the new naturalization test in the news. We've had one in the States for years. It is much longer and has its own biases. What do UK members think about it?

Also from the questions, Where is a Scouse accent from? I knew the other two accents.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 11:20      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Link?

Scouse is the accent from Liverpool.

Part of it is at The BBC

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 12:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, google found me this list of sample questions for the US test.
What a wank.
Lots of questions about the flag, the war of independence, and other pseudo-patriotic nonsense, then you get to the reasonable questions about the system of government and so on. I wonder how many native-born Americans could pass it.

/me wanders off to find info about the UK test...

Found some.
Here's the questions not as wankily patriotic as the US list, but still some dodgy ones, for example...
quote:
How interested are young people in politics? What do they see as the main issues today?
The test is available in English, and soon in Welsh or Gaelic.
I wonder how many non-citizen Welsh-speakers there are....

btw - the questions GMx links to are just someone at the Beeb having a bit of fun. To quote the website...
quote:
"The following very unofficial questions are based on information in the official book

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 14:27      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... Grummash is English & 39 years old.... how do you think Grummash did on the British Citizenship test?

Sort of ok, really...but I fail to see the point of most of the questions. The UK needs all the Pakistani doctors, Phillipino nurses, Polish postgraduates etc etc that it can get hold of... and we expect them to do stupid tests like this??? [shake head]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 15:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a colleague recently pass the test - I saw some of the sample things then...I would have failed. :-/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 16:18      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank god I was born into this country, a lot of those samples I didn't even know. And I've had U.S. History for a few years.. [Frown]

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 17:39      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would easily pass the test. I am quite an anomaly though. I guarentee a good portion of this country's citizens would not pass the naturalization test. It's sad. Every citizen that has graduated high school should know that stuff.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 18:54      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The White Tree:
I would easily pass the test. I am quite an anomaly though. I guarentee a good portion of this country's citizens would not pass the naturalization test. It's sad. Every citizen that has graduated high school should know that stuff.

Well I'm a freshmen who, up untill now, hasn't really had a decent excuse of a history class, and now I can't take any history/government untill Sophmore year.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 19:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You say that because you're fresh out of high school....

Then again, I hated studying history back when I was in high school. [Razz] Ask me about Perl instead. [Big Grin] Or on a good day, about the pumping lemma. [Wink]
(not today, even though this evening has been grand - too scary to think about)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 20:08            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well, it's certainly the case that every citizen that grew up during the 70's and watched Saturday morning cartoons has the Preamble to the Constitution permanently burned into their heads. Sing it with me!

We the People,
In order to form a More Perfect Union,
Establish Justice, insure Domestic Tranquility,
(dee-dee-dee-dee!)
Provide for the Common Defense,
Promote the General Welfare and
Secure the Blessings of Liberty
To Ourselves and our Posterity,
Do Ordain and Establish this Constitution,
For the...United States of...America!

(Thank you, ABC and Schoolhouse Rock!)

IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 23:29      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my. Schoolhouse rock rocked. The grammar rock was the ultimate.

Whoever wrote those songs somehow managed to write a song about adverbs whose chorus was a list defining adverbs:
How, Where, or When, Condition or Reason

I swear that was the chorus and I remember all on the playground were running around singing it.

Were they mad geniuses or just crisped to an extreme?

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 00:32      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're talking 'bout "Lolly lolly lolly get your adverbs here!" I LOVE that song!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 10:01      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Conjunction junction, what's your function..."

Unfortunately (or not) my family didn't have a TV during my early childhood, so I missed out on schoolhouse rock. But my 9th grade English teacher brought in a (the?) Conjunction Junction episode one day and now that damn chorus will be stuck in my head forever.

<rant>
Is there any good educational TV anymore? All I know is I can turn on Nickolodeon any hour of the day and be 99% sure they'll be showing SpongeBob or the Fairly fscking Oddparents. What happened to the days when a network had more than two shows in their rotation?!
</rant>

Edit: Ahem. Sorry for straying off topic. I'll admit that I probably would not fare very well on the US citizenship test. And that's after getting a 4 or 5 (out of 5) on the American History AP in high school and doing very well in the subsequent PiG (participation in government) class. We Americans like to complain about our government, but many of us don't really know how it's (supposed) to work. Sad, really.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 10:32      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved School House Rock.

"I'm just a bill
I'm only a bill
And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill"

I also liked the multiplication one on 8 because she skated. School house lyrics There are some I have heard.

The US test isn't easy. We have study guides for it like you get for the SAT/ACT here at the library

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 14:13            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got the 4-CD box set of all the Schoolhouse Rock episodes. One of these days I need to get the DVDs.

While the information in the history and government cartoons wouldn't guarantee that someone would pass the U.S. citizenship test, it might be of some help, and certainly a good way of ensuring that the information sticks with you (as we've just seen!).

IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 14:15      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit that when I get a question about the Constitution here at the library. I always have to sing the preamble to remember it. [Big Grin]
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 13:18      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guarentee I will know at least 75% of that information when I am an adult. I also haven't had most of that information since 11th grade. It is all general knowledge. I had to memorize all 9 supreme court justices in 12th grade, and I only remember 5 of them now... I'm just saying, it is very general knowledge. I just think everyone should participate in our democratic process, and they should at least know the basics.

By the way, I was fortunate enough to miss the school house rock stuff.

Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 03:35      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I guarentee I will know at least 75% of that information when I am an adult. I also haven't had most of that information since 11th grade.

From your post it seems like you are quite a bit past 11th grade. But, you also say "when I am an adult" which implies that you are a bit off from being an 'adult.' Which is it, these terms seem contradictory?

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 08:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at his profile - he's 18 - he studied this stuff /last/ year.

--------------------

ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 12:20      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By saying 'since 11th grade' as opposed to 'since last year' the connotation is that 11th grade was AT LEAST 2 or 3 years ago, probably more. Although it varies from person to person many people gauge adulthood by one turning 18. I think it has more to do with experience and responsibility, so therefore it could vary greatly based on the individual. I was an independent "adult" by the time I turned 17, and I know several people who have taken the role of spouse, provider, and/or parent by the time they were 2 years out of 11th grade.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 13:27      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually it has been a over 2 years since I have been in 11th grade. I also need to clarify the "when I am an adult" part. What I meant was, when I am older and have children. I am sure my views on this issue will not change. People should know the basic parts of their government and country. We need to know where our country came from and also what our government is all about. What's to keep a dictator from taking control of an ignorant country? It isn't like I am saying we should know every little detail, but the basics should be common knowledge. Sometimes I think it is laziness, but not always. laziness seems to be sweeping our country. By the way, I'm not bashing the people who don't know this stuff, so please don't take it that way. I am just saying that people should make an honest effort to remember/know this information.
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 14:40      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
... since 11th grade. It is all general knowledge. I had to memorize ... in 12th grade, and I only remember 5 of them now...

Further explicating your reasoning, ChildeRoland: He used the past tense "had" when describing memorization in 12th grade, then goes on to say that he's forgotten some of what he memorized "now." From that I infer he's finished 11th grade and finished 12th grade and is some time beyond that.

As far as being an adult, during college I wouldn't have considered myself a child, but sometimes I just didn't feel like an adult. We have the terms "pre-teen" and "tweenager" to describe that period of time between single-digit age and full-fledged teenage. Why don't we have one for that period of time where we're in that nebulous state of "not a child, but not a full-fledged adult"?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 17:01      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am long past the age of majority, legal adulthood etc...

but I am not a "grown up" and maybe I never will be!!!

"What does it feel like to be 80?" "bout the same as 16 boy... but I git tired quicker..." a quote from an elderly neighbour many years ago now... but I shall remember it till I am gone to dust...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
BronzeG3
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2590

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 17:35      Profile for BronzeG3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else find it strange that a questions is "Can the Constitution be changed? " and the following questions is "What do we call a change to the Constitution? "?
Posts: 44 | From: VTech | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2005 23:50      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd have to guess the answers would be either:
  • Can the Constitution be changed? - Yes
  • What do we call a change to the Constitution? - An amendment
or:
  • Can the Constitution be changed? - No
  • What do we call a change to the Constitution? - An impossibility
Heh heh. [Razz]
Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture