homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Rosa Parks dead...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rosa Parks dead...
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 20:08      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Talk about a loss. This one hurts. A truly major incredibly important historical figure died just about an hour ago. She was immensely inspring, took a death defying risk, and remained more or less in poverty throughout the rest of her life. She did something incredible and never profited from it. She'll be remembered forever for her integrity and unindelible impact on society and people.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051025/ap_on_re_us/obit_rosa_parks
http://www.grandtimes.com/rosa.html

[weep]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 20:17      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While her actions were instrumental in starting the major pushes of the civil rights movement, she was not sole promoter of the civil rights movement. Her action was more like the straw that broke the camel's back. To credit her with starting the whole civil rights movement is an affront to all the students, clergy, and other people who helped bring the movement to its fruition.

Not to belittle what she did, though.

Still, she will be missed. She WAS a major figure in the civil rights movement, and many movements afterwards.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted October 25, 2005 08:46      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heh, I wonder how that SOB who asked Rosa to relinguish her seat felt about his part in the civil rights movement. [Big Grin]

A nice photo courtesy of Boing Boing...

-

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 09:11      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She wrote a nice book for kids about the experience. We own it here at the library. It is nice for them to be able to hear about the civil rights movement from someone who lived through it. She was a brave lady!
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 10:57      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
heh, I wonder how that SOB who asked Rosa to relinguish her seat felt about his part in the civil rights movement. [Big Grin]

He was "Only following orders."
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 11:08      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
While her actions were instrumental in starting the major pushes of the civil rights movement, she was not sole promoter of the civil rights movement. Her action was more like the straw that broke the camel's back. To credit her with starting the whole civil rights movement is an affront to all the students, clergy, and other people who helped bring the movement to its fruition.

Not to belittle what she did, though.

Still, she will be missed. She WAS a major figure in the civil rights movement, and many movements afterwards.

King spoke... She fought. Heros are not the ones the who bravly fight the face of evil displaying their courage proudly; but, the people who're sick and tired enough to over come thier fear and do what everyone else only talks about. She was not the only one to defy the man, but she was one of many. Personally, I think there shouldn't be a Martin Luther King day, but there should be a Rosa Parks day.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 12:46      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd hazard to say her death is not a tragedy at all. She was what, 82? She lived, she loved, and she DEFINITELY left a legacy.

I'd say bravo, and RIP.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 13:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gutsy woman.
She should have a funeral procession of municipal busses.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
sumnchai
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3262

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 13:43      Profile for sumnchai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She was 92. Lectured until her 80's. Only stopped when she started to suffer for dementia, and didn't have to suffer through that but for 3 years. She had an incredible life, one that i can only dream of.
Posts: 47 | From: Amherst, MA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 16:01      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To quote Sir George Turner of the Rottweiler Empire:

"She'll be riding home in the front of the chariot."

Godspeed, Mrs. Parks.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 18:52      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the Apple homepage today.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 11:39      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I have to say is, Rosa Parks had more of a backbone than most people before on since. In a simple act of defiance, she helped to stir up what would become an issue all over the world, not just in America. Equal Rights. I say Rest in Peace, Mrs Parks. Thank you for being yourself.

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 14:36      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sister Rosa Parks
by The Neville Brothers
D. Johnson, C. Moore, C. Neville, C. Neville, Jr., J. Neville
L. Neville Irving Music, Inc. obo Neville Music, Inc.
Johnson Music; Wm. Claffey & Associates
(p) 1989 A&M Records
Courtesy of A&M Records under license from Universal Music Enterprises

December 1, 1955, our freedom movement came alive.
And because of Sister Rosa you know,
we donít ride on the back of the bus no more.

Sister Rosa Parks was tired one day
after a hard day on her job.
When all she wanted was a well deserved rest
Not a scene from an angry mob.
A bus driver said, "Lady, you got to get up
cuz a white person wants that seat."
But Miss Rosa said, "No, not no more.
Iím gonna sit here and rest my feet."

Chorus
Thank you Miss Rosa, you are the spark,
You started our freedom movement
Thank you Sister Rosa Parks.
Thank you Miss Rosa you are the spark,

Now, the police came without fail
And took Sister Rosa off to jail.
And 14 dollars was her fine,
Brother Martin Luther King
knew it was our time.
The people of Montgomery sit down to talk
It was decided all godsí children should walk
Until segregation was brought to its knees
And we obtain freedom and equality, yeah

Chorus
Weíll sing it again

So we dedicate this song to thee
for being the symbol of our dignity.
Thank Sister Rosa Parks.
Chorus 2x

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 15:16      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just love the Neville Brothers. Real soul music. It's a meal where other stuff is a snack.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
satyr
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2005 16:41      Profile for satyr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

Anyone knows who that guy was, i.e. what was his name, his "life story" etc. ??

satyr

--------------------
Check out my personal computing-related website: http://tadej-ivan.50webs.com/ if you're interested in reading my articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules and such.

Posts: 31 | From: Ljubljana, Slovenia, Europe | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture