homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - Make 'em laugh

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five - Make 'em laugh
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 15:18      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few hours early but there you are. I really needed a laugh this week.

1. What is your favourite funny movie?

2. What is your favourite line from a comedy TV or movie?

3. Do you have a favourite comedian?

4. Who is considered the funny one in your family and why?

5. On a scale from 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important, how important is a sense of humour to you in a relationship?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 15:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh so many: All of Kevin Smith's movies except Jersey Girl.

"First you take a run at La Fours with a sock full of quarters; I'd do it, but I threw my back out humping your Mom last night, nooch!" -- Jason Mewes (Jay) in Mallrats.

Many. In no particular order: Lewis Black, Dennis Miller, George Carlin, and Denis Leary.

Myself and my father. We both have dark, quick wit that we usually use to ridicule others. Most people take it in stride and find it humourous -- even if they don't, everyone else does. [Big Grin]

5. On a scale from 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important, how important is a sense of humour to you in a relationship?
6. If we can't laugh together, there's no point. At all.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 16:05      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What is your favourite funny movie? Too hard to pick one, which is bad as it is my question. Gregory's Girl, the original In-Laws, The Russians are coming.

2. What is your favourite line from a comedy TV or movie? The In Laws - "Serpentine, Shelley, serpentine" - Falk's character. So Arkin's character goes back and runs through the bullets again.

3. Do you have a favourite comedian? Carlin and Poundstone

4. Who is considered the funny one in your family and why? I think we all are, but I love it when my brother Rob tells family stories. When I watch the video of him telling about my dad and cutting down the Christmas tree, I laugh until I cry.

5. On a scale from 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important, how important is a sense of humour to you in a relationship? 5+ Being able to laugh has gotten me through many hard times, don't think I could be with someone who couldn't.

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 16:38      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't really pick one, as it often depends on my mood. Shrek, Waking Ned Devine, Monty Python & the Holy Grail, and Kung-Fu Hustle top the list.

I don't really have a favorite, but what comes to mind is:
"You smell like dead bunnies." Ralph Wiggum to a wolf in The Simpsons

Not really.

My middle brother. He has a knack for pranks and being the subject of funny pictures.

I guess a 5. It's not as important as some things, technically, but I don't really see a relationship working without it.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 17:21      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Jerk

2. What is your favourite line from a comedy TV or movie? "I was born to love you, I was born to lick your face" sung by Chevy Chase in Caddyshack.

Usually it would be Bill Murray.

That would be a threeway tie between my two sons-in-law and me, because everyone else thinks we're each a bit off. [And speaking for at least one of those three, they're probably right. But we're not as nuts as spungo or ewomack.]

A very, very High 5. No way my wife and I could still be married for almost 36 years if we both took ourselves seriously all the time.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 04:30      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Party - it's a Peter Sellers film.

"Peter, you've lost the news!" - The Day Today

Chris Morris

Some distant uncle or something, probably.

Somewhere between 3 and 4... quite low. Pi, maybe.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 09:28      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenity

Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight... turbulence and then explode. (From Serenity)

No

My Dad. He can turn anything into a pun, and there is no conversation that isn't humourous when he's involved.

P.S. To all of you who haven't yet seen the movie, go watch Serenity!.

P.P.S. Did I mention I like Serenity? [Wink]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 10:24      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Army of Darkness

I have no idea.

Yes. Bill Hicks.

Most people think it's my dad, because he's the one who tries to be funny, but it's really me because his jokes are all lame.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 10:35      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny line - Can I have a second one. In an episode of B5, Marcus and Ivana are trying to communicate with one of the old ones. It becomes obvious they are being obtuse on purpose. Ivana gets aggravated and Marcus says "Maybe they're French".
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 11:25      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no, no. The aliens understood what they were saying in English, but refused to speak anything other than their own language and he says, "Who knew they were French?"

I love that show. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 13:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Movie: Doctor Strangelove.
TV: 'The Games' - a very funny aussie piss-take of the preparations for the 2000 Sydney Olympics

"Yes, but I want you to hear you say it" - from 'The Games'
Doesn't look funny when quoted like this, but trust me, it was part of the funniest 3 minutes of television ever produced.

John Clarke - the Kiwi comedian who did 'The Games'. He is the funniest life-form ever to walk on 2 legs.

Modesty forbids me answering this question...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 13:25      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wallace & Gromit - The Wrong Trousers

"Is this a piece of your brain?"

Woody Allen's standup from the 1960s was great. Most standup comedy seems too "hip" these days.

My whole family is so jealous of how funny I am that they've stopped talking to me. That's how funny I am.

It's right up there with being able to pick your nose and fart in front of each other. Once you can do that you know you're in this thing for the long haul.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

illuminatus
Geek
Member # 2187

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 14:21      Profile for illuminatus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
A few hours early but there you are. I really needed a laugh this week.

"Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

"Littering and...?"

No

My family is unfunny :'(

--------------------
-illumina+us
http://illuminatus.oczombies.net/
I suck at life IRL

Posts: 124 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 16:30      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Too many. "Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail" is classic funny. Super Troopers is more modern. Take your typical geek, and I would like most of the comedies they like. I prefer not to take favorites on this issue.

2. King Arthur: The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
Soldier: Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

3. Stephen Lynch is a great songwriter/comedian.

4. My brother has the stupid humor, while I have the dry witty humor that only people like myself understand.

As an aside, I was playing D&D at summer camp where I worked, there was this really short guy who is abt 50 years old and we would always pick on him (all in fun). He was the assitant camp ranger. Anyway, we were trying to put him into character form. We all agreed that he was a halfling, but we didn't know what class he would be. Out of nowhere I said "Well, he could be an assitant ranger." Before I realized what I said everyone was tearing up while laughing. Just an example of the kind of jokes I make.

5. Humor would be a 3. You don't necessarily have to make funny jokes, you just have to find certain things funny.

Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 18:06      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve Martins' "L.A. Story"

"The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!"

Steve Wright

That's me. I'm always ingesting facts at random and then joining
them in strange yet logical order.

5. On a scale from 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important, how
important is a sense of humour to you in a relationship?

Probably 4. From what I remember the ability to laugh at yourself
seemed very important during lovemaking...

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2005 02:22      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Life of Brian. Probably.

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

Mark Thomas

Me. I have three heads.

3. Having any sense of humour is ok, but the ideal would be some crossover so that you both have a similar sense of humour. If you don't share at least some humour, you may each end up thinking the other one is weird.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2005 10:38      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a toss up between Cocoanuts and The Blues Brothers.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

No favorites.

I am Asian. We are genetically altered to be without a sense of humour. Margaret Cho is a fluke.

I would put it as a 3. But to have a similar sense of humour I would put at a 4 or 5. What good is laughing if one doesn't understand the joke.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2005 21:17      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your favorite funny movie? Its hard to choose. Older movie favorite is Blazing Saddles. A more recent favorite is Shaun of the dead.
My favorite line from comedy is actually the old "Whos on first" routine.
My favorite comedian: the teams Abbott and Costello and Penn and Teller.
The funny one in my family is my Ex-husband!?
Humor is at least a 4 in any relationship.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2005 13:07      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

So many to choose from, I love funny movies. I think I'd have to say Office Space, Young Frankenstein is up there too, Spaceballs, Clerks, oh too many...

"I drink a whiskey drink, I drink a vodka drink, and when I gotta' pee, I use the kitchen sink" -- Homer Simpson, "Lisa Goes to College"

Robin Williams, hands down the funniest man EVER!

Oy! So hard to decide, I come from a very jovial family, both sides. My dad, all my uncles, myself, my brother, all have the same mildly-twisted sense of humor.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2005 14:41      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to your answer to #1, MMKK I am now reminded of a more favorite answer to #2 which is Rick Moranis saying, "Assholes, I'm surrounded by assholes" from Spaceballs.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2005 18:46      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Harold And Maude."

Pretty much any line from Saturday Night Live's old "Goth Talk" sketches.

Henry Rollins, Dane Cook, Margaret Cho.

My cousin, who likes to regale us with tales of the time she did for selling coke. She manages to make four years of prison sound hilarious.

Eleven. Super important. I can't date people who take themselves too seriously.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture