homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Most expensive computer of all time!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Most expensive computer of all time!!
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted October 19, 2005 12:18      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So a couple cool things. Apple has upgraded their PowerMacs and they are kickin! Now for even geekier stuff. Apple has updated their sites to automatically total prices on computers. For example if you decide to upgrade the harddrive of a computer you no longer have to hit the update price button, it updates all by itself.

With this said, a little game of mine has been to see how how expensive a computer I can build off their site. Today, I hit an alltime high, far surpassing the $13,000 I have seen in the past. The big boost was the 16g of Ram and the 1k of harddrive space (that is 1 thousand g, not kilobytes).

Todays high score: $24,376.00
It could have been more, but I decided not to get the Server software installed.

Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2005 12:26      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa -16 grams of RAM [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2005 12:43      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zboy:
With this said, a little game of mine has been to see how how expensive a computer I can build off their site...

Slow day, huh?
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2005 12:43      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zboy:
1k of harddrive space (that is 1 thousand g, not kilobytes).

So that should be 1TB: 1 terabyte. Just a FYI.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2005 13:54      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea it is a terabyte, i just don't feel comfortable using that word yet, besides 1000 gigs (as opposed to grams [Smile] ) just sounds bigger.
Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2005 15:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People in the know realize how huge that is. [Big Grin]

We also think it looks hideously stupid to say '1k.' [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2005 15:46      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/begs for forgiveness
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2005 17:05      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I find impressive, is that the B.O.L. PowermMac has a lot of the goodies that the T.O.L. model has. Very uncharacteristec of Apple.

Now people can get a pretty nice Apple computer, load it up over time with a GigaGob (technically a GG) of memory and have the ability to outfit it with a Terra-Honkin' (TH) 30" monitor without buying a special card -- all that for a tower upon which technically you still spend an RCH under two kilobucks U$.

Not quite as freakin' geekin' as an iPod Nano, but still pretty freakin' geekin'.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ora
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 04:27      Profile for ora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can get to $34196.00

XServe G5 maxed out plus option of 7TB Xserve raid,

oddly i was playing the same game yesterday myself

Posts: 14 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture