homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - TV trivia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five - TV trivia
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 10:02      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't remember if we had done a list like this before? Short term memory evaporating in the stress from work.

1. What is your favourite TV show right now and why?

2. What is your favourite show of all time?

3. What was your favourite cartoon growing up?

4. Is there a TV character you would like to be?

5. Have you ever been part of a petition or such to bring back a TV show? If so what show?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 10:06      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What is your favourite TV show right now and why? Antiques Roadshow. I love the people's expressions when they find our the value or that they shouldn't have stripped the finish off the 200 year old bureau and looking at the Keno Brothers.

2. What is your favourite show of all time? Babylon 5. I absolutely love that series. The character growth over the story arch blows me away even now. Wish I had the bucks to replace my home taped versions.

3. What was your favourite cartoon growing up? Bullwinkle and the first Scooby Doo. No, Doo with that Scrappy idiot.

I'd love to be Dr. Who

5. Have you ever been part of a petition or such to bring back a TV show? If so what show? I signed petitions for B5 when it looked like there might not be a season 5. I also wrote hate mail to G4 for changing TSS.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 10:34      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. damn thats a hard one. probably a toss up between American Dad and M*A*S*H. American Dad for its irreverant humor, i love shows that pull punches without caring who they piss off. M*A*S*H because its just an awesome classic. the episode when Radar goes home makes even me a little teary eyed.

2. The Simpsons, hands down. They are the best, and they will be for years to come.

3. GI Joe, the REAL American Hero! I loved that show growing up. Watched the show, had the action figures, I was die hard. Nowadays, my 10 year old nephew LOVES GI Joe. Which is awesome. Ok, so that, and ROBOTECH. Not really a show for kids, but my sister and I watched it religiously. Oh, and the animated Xmen series. That show was BADASS!

4. Hercule Poirot. I don't know why, theres just something about his thick french accent and funny little mustache! I'm just joking. As far as TV characters go I'd probably want to be Wolverine from the old Xmen cartoon. Except not a cartoon. [Smile]

5. I have never been a part of a petition to bring a show back.

Ok, anyone remember that show Voltron? That was badass.

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 10:36      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fawlty Towers. And it probably always will be. It's the best sitcom ever produced.

See #1

Looney Tunes/Classic Warner Brothers/Bugs Bunny & Road Runner Show; in any permutation. I hate to admit that I used to watch the Smurfs. But I will. Oh what a load off.

Ummm... do I want to be fictional? Sure! It probably has it's benefits. I surely don't want to be Basil Fawlty. Ummm... I don't watch enough tv these days to know who.

5. Have you ever been part of a petition or such to bring back a TV show? If so what show?
Nope. But I've made passionate arguments for trying to get rid of certain shows.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 10:49      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. There's probably not a show that's my favorite right now, but I watch the Law & Orders a lot and NCIS (Abby is soooo hot!)

2. Anyone who knows me knows I have a hard time picking favorites, but I'd have to say The X-Files, Star Trek (especially DS9, but not Enterprise! [Razz] ), Dr Who.

3. Yogi Bear.

4. Yogi Bear (because he's smarter than the average bear).

5. No.

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 11:05      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:

Desperate Housewives, because it's funny without being stupid. And because everything else sucks more.

quote:
Um... I'm not sure I can pick just one. Babylon 5, Star Trek, Star Trek: TNG.

quote:
Dungeons and Dragons.

quote:
I'm rather fond of being myself. There are a lot of characters I admire. Strangely, most of them seem to be female....

Growing up, I was compared to Spock occasionally.

quote:
Ren and Stimpy, back in my college days. The TV producers couldn't figure out whether it was a kids' show or an adults' show. They ended up trying to make it into a kids' show, by firing the creator and putting a neutered version of it on Nickelodeon, instead of on MTV alongside other avant garde programming at the time such as Liquid Television.

(This was long before MTV became the test bed for "Reality TV".)

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 11:21      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's probably still the Simpsons, although Lost and CSI are close behind.

Probably the Simpsons.
Did I just agree with Bull3t? [Eek!] [Wink]

Looney Tunes, particularly the Road Runner ones. I could generally predict exactly what would go wrong, but I laughed anyway. Go figure.

Tough one... Maybe John Crichton from Farscape. He was tough, smart, always tried to do the right thing, had a bunch of odd friends, and got to see things no-one else had seen before, even if he always was in the middle of a dangerous situation. (oh, yeah, and he always seemed to have hot alien chicks after him. [Wink] )

5. Have you ever been part of a petition or such to bring back a TV show? If so what show? Farscape.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 11:37      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Chicago Hope, it's the only serial on when I get home from work in the mornings. I really like "What's My Line?"--the black & white from way-back-when.

Law & Order. My siblings can't stand Criminal Intent, but I really like Det. Goren.

I can't stand cartoons. I never watched them as a child. The only animated stuff I like are VeggieTales.

One of the forensic investigators on CSI. Or any romantic lead playing opposite Johnny Depp, Heath Ledger, or the guy who plays Lex Luther on "Smallville." Or maybe Jessica from "The Man from Snowy River."

Nope, but I would like to see the Action Pack movies brought back... In particular, I want the one with the guy in the black Stealth and the really pretty tractor-trailer.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 21:22      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Right now Battlestar Gallactica (2005) is my favorite tv show. It is just the best out there right now, next to Stargate SG-1.

2. My favorite tv show of all time would have to be M*A*S*H. There are many runners up which would include, but not be limited to, ST:TNG, SG-1, BSG, and The Simpsons.

3. I am part of the younger crowd, so I was caught up in the Pokemon craze. I liked Pokemon before they turned Power Rangers on us and made a million spin offs. Tied for this is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and X-men (from way earlier in my childhood).

4. Hands down, I would want to be Jack O' Neil. Commander Adama would be cool, but he is always under way too much stress. Captain Picard would be cool too.

5. Gumble to Gumble! No, really, I haven't tried to bring back a tv show mainly because I was too young and I didn;t have the time (blasted parents restricting internet hours). I would love to see Firefly and Futurama back on tv.

Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 21:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firefly's on Comcast... the SciFi channel, White Tree. Maybe you could have your family or friends back in York tape it for you?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 11:19      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Probably the Family Guy. Just because it's bloody hilarious.

HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA [Big Grin]

Animaniacs.

Not really.

No, but I'd have liked to see Animaniacs continue.

And I'm terribly curious to know what would have happened in season 2 on My So-Called Life. Yes, I realise that probably makes me look gay. :S

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 17:07      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy

Simpsons.

Smurf's

Smurfette...I guess cause she was surrounded by men all the time and that is how I like it.

ummmm...none come to mind.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 19:52      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Whose line is it anyway/Dr Who

Star Trek: The next Generation. (Im no Trekkie, I hate classic Trek and the seires that followed ST:TNG)

Thundercats

Duncan Mcloud, Highlander. Me as the only immortal on earth. Cool

Nope, but I'd crawl on broken glass from Brazil till Skywalker Ranch if Lucas would make more "Clone Wars" styled cartoon shorts.

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 20:02      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I mean they need to bring back "Firefly" as in new episodes. I already have the "Firefly" DVDs. I just saw Serenity today and I must say that I am still awed.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
gladiator
Geek Larva
Member # 4387

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 22:57      Profile for gladiator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Favorite TV Show Now: Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel.

Favorite TV Show of All Time : Miami Vice. Can't beat Crockett and Tubbs with the hip soundtrack in the background.

Favorite cartoon: Speed Racer

TV character I would like to be: Sonny Crockett (Don Johnson) Liked the unrealistic part that he had a Ferrari and Speed Boat at his disposal.

Have I ever been part of a petition: No

--------------------
Gladiator:(noun)Celebrity and entertainer for the Roman masses.... without the paparazzi

Posts: 28 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 10:41      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I don't have a TV, so I don't watch much TV. The Simpsons' new season has really let me down. Whatever they had, they kinda' lost it... Right now, I think my favourite TV show is Fraiser, because it's the only one i watch in it's entirety (it's on when I take my lunch break at work) and it's wholy entertaining.

Star Trek: The Next Generation followed closely by The Simpsons back when it was still good and a close third of the Chris Pirillo era of Call For Help

Hrm... Here's the first lines of the themes from each of my favorites...

We're (we're).... Ready (ready).... to (to).... PARTY!

La la la-la la la, la la-la la la

Saturday morning cartoons were always better then their weekday counterparts... what the hell has happened to kids catoons these days?

Jean-Luc Picard, captain

Nope, sorry. Although I did write an angry letter to Tech TV when they merged with stupid G4....

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 13:52      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit late again - sorry - but here goes...

University Challenge (our 'Merriken friends should think "College Bowl") - I can't believe this choice would need explaining [Smile]

This is difficult... possibly Time Team - Archaeology rocks!!! (or is that geology [shake head] )

Dangermouse.

Not any more, but in my early years I wanted to be either a) Steed from The New Avengers or b) Starsky.

No. But I like to think that it was my efforts which influenced Lancashire Polytechnic Students Union to start selling the Beano again in the Union shop in late 1985.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 20:13      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. West Wing.

2. Ernie Kovacs Show. And if you saw it, it would be your favorite, too.

3. This questions assumes I've finished the growing up process.

4. I would like to be Mr. Coffee. When he was married to Norma Jean.

5. I want to bring back the TV show where the hero Senator asks, "At long last, have you no shame?" I think it's time for that question, again.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture