homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » garlicguy's looking for a nice Austrian... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: garlicguy's looking for a nice Austrian...
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 22:19      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all seriousness, are our reactions (of shock, disgust, etc.) primarily based on the fact that he's (apparently) not wearing any clothes or because of his morbid obesity?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 22:21      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
In all seriousness, are our reactions (of shock, disgust, etc.) primarily based on the fact that he's (apparently) not wearing any clothes or because of his morbid obesity?

Well, the morbid obesity doesn't help, but I do wonder about the hygiene factor of sitting around the place nekkid.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 06:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Eh, why wait? Everyone's nekkid under their clothes after all!

Not the Mormons.

[Edit: and not the Newf. Under his clothes he's a banana. Make of that what you will]

BOIOIOIOIOING\
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 08:56      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Aaaahh!! Avert mine eyes!! NSFW!!

Actually, I have seen that picture somewhere before, except there was a caption at the bottom that said "14/f/cali"

That is gross! And could very well be true, that is the funny part.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 10:34      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Rhonnie - perhaps it is the combination of the two which elicits a reaction. It seems that the closer a person's body is to cultural/societal norms, the easier people feel about seeing it nekkid. If a 'different' body is clothed, then it is a private thing and less challenging to the body fascists. In the UK there has been some debate on this recently as a result of this statue which has been chosen for very public display.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 11:20      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. Does the woman have no arms? Or does the statue just not have arms? The article wasn't clear which was the disability... having no arms or being pregnant.

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 11:24      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looked like dactylism IIRC. She had no arms and if you look at her lower right appendage there was only one large "toe". Pregnancy isn't usually considered a disability and anyone who made a comment that a pregnant statue was ugly would quickly find himself flamed by the artistic community.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 11:26      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait... you could see a pic of the statue or the woman? There weren't any that showed up for me. [Frown]

EDIT: Silly me. Didn't see the button to Enlarge Image.

She's beautiful even if the lack of arms is somewhat disconcerting.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 11:29      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Pregnancy isn't usually considered a disability...

Some health care plans consider pregnancy a disability. It's considered a short-term disability by some employers too. In some ways it's nice 'cause then the mother can get disability benefits if she's sick for too long.

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 11:33      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, yes, in that context. But you'd better not say that for an art piece. [Eek!]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 11:46      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
She's beautiful even if the lack of arms is somewhat disconcerting.
Another aspect of the debate over here in the UK, apart from whether we should have statues of nekkid, pregnant women in public places (which personally I have no problem with, but some people get really uptight) is the idea that, as the model was born disabled and then became pregnant, people with disabilities must be doin' it!
Of course, everyone who is of a reasonable disposition will cry "why shouldn't they be doin' it?" but sadly a lot of healthcare and social support is based on the attitude that only so-called "normal" people should have normal lives. A concept you would have thought we should have left behind by now.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 12:34      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But she's physically disabled, not mentally disabled. In most cases, that distinction needs to be made.

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 12:43      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It still bothers people, especially when the disability is of the disfiguring kind. E.g., deaf people having sex = ok, people with elephantitis having sex = not ok. [ohwell]

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 20:53      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I see this pic we are speaking of?

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 21:02      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which pic? The one of the Austrian, the obese nekkid man, the statue of a physically disabled pregnant woman, or people with elephantitis gettin' it on?

--------------------

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 21:36      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Both. To allow ones self to become so morbidly obese shows a shocking lack of self-control. And then to be nekkid and assault people with your bags of corpulent flesh is just the icing on the cake.

If I ever get to be that fat, shoot me. No, I'm not joking. [ohwell]

EDIT: and then I read about that statue, and saw the pics, and now I've decided to post my opinion.

Do I have a problem with nudity? no. Pregnancy? no. Do I really have a problem with that statue? Not really. But why would you want to put something like that statue out in a public place. Isn't the point of public sculpture to be, y'know, beautiful? Quite honestly, that statue is not beautiful. I mean, it does make you think, which is one reason to create a piece of artwork... but in a public place? I mean, greek nudes represented what they did for a reason: physically fit youths, both male and female, are incredibly beautiful (hence teh nudity), whereas obese fifty-somethings or malformed women are, quite frankly, not. I think it's all well in good that the actual people are accepted in society, but their image doesn't have to be. Most of us (I hesitate to say all) find both the criminally obese man and the woman depicted by the statue to be unattractive, so why should we have to accept their image?

NOTE: she's not ugly because she's pregnant, she's ugly because she's incomplete.

I'm not trying to be shallow or mean, but it occurs to me that people are beating around the bush when defining ugly, and trying to cancel that description by blaming society blah blah blah blah.

Who's uglier (is that even a word?)? The fat man, because it's something he had control of. I'm fairly certain the woman didn't voluntarily give up her arms, so at least we don't see a disgusting gap in her moral architecture as we do with the man.

hoooo boy, here come the flames [Frown]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 21:40      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The prego woman

Edit: What is this about people with elephantitis gettin' it on?

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 21:55      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
In the UK there has been some debate on this recently as a result of this statue which has been chosen for very public display.

--------------------

Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 22:02      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG that is beautiful! If I was to ever end up prego, I want one of these

They are adorable and hold so much meaning for the mother/father and for the child to come. Almost freezing time.

Peebs.. thought about one?

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 22:07      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't really appeal to me. I had a roommate with one of those on her wall and while it wasn't so bad, with the rest of her "art" it didn't look so good.

I also thought the statue was beautiful.

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 23:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
I mean, greek nudes represented what they did for a reason: physically fit youths, both male and female, are incredibly beautiful (hence teh nudity), whereas obese fifty-somethings or malformed women are, quite frankly, not.

Quite agree.
I mean, the Venus de Milo would look plain silly without arms.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 02:37      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The woman (Ms Lapper IIRC) has featured in a couple of documentaries about parenthood here in the UK.

She is an amazing woman and her deformity is a result of the Thalidomide debacle of the early 60's I believe (though I could be wrong on that...)

I don't like the statue that much because I don't like its artistic style much but it doesn't offend me in any way and as a subject I think it is a good one. Anyway who said art can't challenge or promote debate... many artists say that is its real point, not to look pretty but to affect you.

I quite like the Ken Livingstone idea of placing temporary pieces there as a way of bringing "culture out of the museums"

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 01:18      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all! I'm happily settled in Cambridge now [Razz]

Anyway, I think the statue looks really pretty. If you think about it, a lot of old statues do not have arms. Also, pregnancy is a very beautiful thing. Finally, the woman seem to possess a strong expression that seem to tell me:

"Yes I am perfectly aware of my disability, but I am looking into the future with bravery."

Those who want the statue down just has not thought about it hard enough.

[crazy] /amateur art critic

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 01:55      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that everyone who sees this statue has a reaction to it, either positive or negative, which is pretty good indication that it is a fine piece. All the posts here, whether for or against the sculpture, are thoughtful and honest.

I hope it finds a permanent public site, and yes I think it is beautiful too, if slightly disturbing at the same time. When I was at school, I had a friend with no left hand. I remember how hard it was controlling the instinctive and really quite visceral feelings of revulsion I had when I saw his stump close up for the first time, and there is an element of that about this sculpture too. I too have seen Alison Lapper interviewed on television, and agree with Serenak, that she is a remarkable and highy attractive person.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 05:26      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh! It never occurred to me that "Enlarge Image" actually meant "Show me a totally different image". And it's Javascript, too -- but fortunately it's Javascript that includes the full URL required to see the image, so one can simply paste the link into a handy xterm, then cut out the URL, and paste the URL back into the web browser:

The statue

Personally I think she might look better with longer hair, but there's certainly no doubt about her femininity.

I can see why people would be disturbed by it. It's a pretty confrontational piece, and Brits aren't generally known for their boldness or their willingness to challenge social taboos. [Wink]

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture