homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » So geeks would be bad liars?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So geeks would be bad liars?
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 13:07      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading an article about a research about liars when I realized something. The part about compulsive liars having more white cells, less gray cells in pre-frontal cortex than antisocial (and normal, but to a lesser degree) people, an area they state is important in moral decision, if reversed, gives that geeks (or at least, the antisocial form of geekiness) has more morality, but are bad liars.

Quick show of hand: who thinks this extrapolation is fitting? (And who fits this extrapolation? I do, I think - I don't have an MRI to prove it.)

(Of course, if you're a compulsive liar, I don't expect you'd tell the truth! [crazy] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 13:34      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
listen carefully:

everything i say is a lie

[crazy]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 15:36      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a compulsive liar, I'll lie about things that don't need to be lied abot to begin with. I'm surprisingly good at it too, It scares me, I think I need help

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 18:14      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
I am a compulsive liar, I'll lie about things that don't need to be lied abot to begin with. I'm surprisingly good at it too, It scares me, I think I need help

This sounds like a lie.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 18:18      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:

This sounds like a lie.
You're right, help is for wussies anyways

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 18:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can lie quite well. I don't do it unless it's necessary though -- if people don't like me for who I am, fsck 'em, and I have nothing to hide.

Only reason I lie is for surprises, gifts, etc.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 08:54      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lying is easy if you have any imagination - but it rarely makes the world a better place. I also think that, in addition to the obvious lack of respect for others, a habitual liar betrays a deep lack of self-respect. And that whole "I lie to avoid hurting people" thing, maybe thats just a lazy way out? I know that it doesn't feel good when I do it.... [shake head]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 14:02      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lying and getting away with it is extremely hard. I've watched many friends and past roommates try to secretly maintain two to three relationships at a time. Too much work. Ugh. I was asked to field phone calls for one of my old roommates: "Hey, if Susie calls, tell her I'm at my parents." Then Jen would come over. Then Susie would of course call, and I had to talk to her. After a while I got sick of it and started ratting on him. I don't think he ever found out I did that. Of course he would come home and say "Women!!!" And slam his fist against the refrigerator. Sometimes I think I did those women a favor. I never found out what happened to them, but they're probably better off. [Smile]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 20:12      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't think he ever found out I did that.
He knows now!

/he he he(Friday the 13th theme song plays) ha ha ha. [Big Grin]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 14:58      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Geeks are bad liars.
The ani-socialality implies that are are programmed with GOOD vs BAD, and lying most of the time falls into the BAD catagory.
Now lying is often done to hide a broken rule, which again is BAD, and would not ever be attempted by a Geek. A geek might have to lie if someone says "cover for me" or "you didnt see anything". An average person would not not to ask a geek to cover for him because of previous reasons^^. If there was maybe a fight at school and the Geek named was asked, "Did you see anything?" the geeks memorization motor would immidatly reply, "I didn't see anything" without classifying it as a lie.
Now with the little white lies, such as 'was dinner good' does nto partain to Geekness, but to common sense.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 13 posted October 02, 2005 15:01      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pleae excuse typing errors
* I am ashamed*

Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 15:28      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/hint USE THE EDIT BUTTON AND DONT DOUBLE POST!

Note: All caps is rude in the internet community. My mom does it when she writes me emails and well, my mom hasn't gotten a response in a long time...

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 17:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jace: Stop yelling, please, or I'll have to strangle you with Cat-5. [Wink] (The anti-throat-punch, didn't you know? [Razz] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 16:44      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG Jace, I'm new .... You didn't have to yell at me like that.
*sniffles*

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 16:58      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL @ Thorned0Goddessó

According to your Xanga, you're 105 years old? No? Then explain your birthdate: 7/25/1900

[Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 10:39      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See? He can't even lie about his age. [Wink]
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture