homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - George Carlin and stuff

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five - George Carlin and stuff
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 15:05      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a variation on ego-ego's list. It reminded me of George Carlin's stuff routine

1. What is your most prized material possession?

2. What item, that you currently own, have you had the longest?

3. Are you a packrat?

4. Do you prefer a spic-and-span clean house? Or is some clutter necessary to avoid the appearance of a museum?

5. What item of your "stuff" would you have the hardest time getting rid of?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 15:13      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a toughie. I love my photo albums and in a fire that is what I would grab. They aren't all pretty and scrapbooky, but I love my family photos.

2. What item, that you currently own, have you had the longest? I guess Blue Piggie. It is my first stuff animal. It looks it too. Poor thing.

3. Are you a packrat? Yes, but I am not as bad as I was. I had to sort out my grandfather and my mom's estates. That cured a lot of my packrat tendencies.

4. Do you prefer a spic-and-span clean house? Or is some clutter necessary to avoid the appearance of a museum? I have a cluttered house and I can't blame it all on my daughter. I am a stacker. If it is a stack, it can't be a mess. [Big Grin]

5. What item of your "stuff" would you have the hardest time getting rid of? After the photo albums, my books. And it is proven that I have a hard time doing this. I swore to myself that I was going to thin the shelves last time I moved. I brought in 1/2 a box for the library booksale. Truely pathetic as I must own 5,000 books.

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 15:26      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
This is a variation on ego-ego's list. It reminded me of George Carlin's stuff routine

A WWII GI issue knife. My grandfather gave it to me when I was 4. It may have been only a few months before he died. And I will never sell or misplace that.

Same as above.

3. Are you a packrat?

Yes. I still have 500 MB drives. 'cuz they might be useful. I did bite the bullet and got ridof the 100 mb drives and stuff like that.

4. Do you prefer a spic-and-span clean house? Or is some clutter necessary to avoid the appearance of a museum?

I am pretty messy. So no museum at my house. Unless you count the record player.

It is my Corvair. I have had that thing through thick and thin. But I am pretty sure that I will be selling it soon. [Frown]
The knife doesn't count because it won't happen. At all.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 15:39      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably my old iBook. It literally changed my life. [Big Grin]

A really odd stuffed toy - a beagle wearing dungarees and a bow tie. He's called Dogsbody... our family doctor gave him to when I was born. I love him.

3. Are you a packrat?
Oh, yeah, definitely. I have drawers stuffed full of silly things that I'll never need, and clothes that will never be wearable.

I like a neat and tidy house, but I like to have a lot of stuff around me. As long as all my crap is nicely arranged, that's fine [Razz] .

My book collection. I'd love to try Book Crossing, but I can't bear to actually release my books.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 18:37      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friday indeed!

A particular religious artifact that I wear around my neck. Either that or my Leatherman.

Not counting the stuff under my toenails, I believe that would be my hairbrush. It's never been cleaned, so I guess all the little thingees down in the bristles, living and dead, might be about the same age. So either that or my Leatherman.

3. Are you a packrat?
Are you kidding? Geek = Packrat. Big Time. Gotta have stuff to play with and to fix things with, ya know.

See #3 above. Clutter is a necessary part of keeping this museum.

That would have to be Mrs. gg. Either her or my Leatherman. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

(And I am in deep yogurt should she read this)

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 18:40      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:

Not counting the stuff under my toenails, I believe that would be my hairbrush. It's never been cleaned, so I guess all the little thingees down in the bristles, living and dead, might be about the same age. So either that or my Leatherman.

You still have hair at your age? [Eek!]

/me ducks and runs

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 18:44      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:

You still have hair at your age? [Eek!]

Well sure. It's like a carpet down my back all the way to my feet. I use the Leatherman to pluck the ticks...

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 18:44      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Gotta have stuff to play with and to fix things with, ya know.

Either that or your Leatherman. [Razz] *ducks*

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 18:45      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
Gotta have stuff to play with and to fix things with, ya know.

Either that or your Leatherman. [Razz] *ducks*
Hey! I resemble that remark.

--------------------

Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 23:43      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

My wedding ring. (The one on the right is mine, the one on the left is my Wife's)
 -

I believe my many original Star Wars figures from 1977 that are in sad shape because I actually played with them. But I do have a box full of various items that may date back to the late 60s through the mid 80s.

3. Are you a packrat?
I have a storage unit, so I'd say yes.

I like it clean but I always end up with cluttter
My music collection, (Ok not one Item, but one collective item) I have close to 2000 CDs that I started collecting in 1985.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 05:21      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

My car.

A stuffed monkey my uncle gave me when I was only a few months old. Apparently I would stare at it and laugh my ass off as a baby. I've been hanging on to it for my first (biologically) born.

3. Are you a packrat?

Absolutely. I have receipts for food I bought in 1995 in a box somewhere.

Spic-and-span. I'm a neat freak.

Probably all the paperwork. I'm always afraid I'll need some sort of audit trail into my early teens someday. :S

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tomate
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4417

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 06:34      Profile for Tomate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Subwoofer that was the last thing that my father gave me. (he died one day before cristmas)

A Darth Vader Action figure, i used to play with it when i was 2 ou 3 years old.(i was born to be nerd)

3. Are you a packrat?
For some mystical reason my things tend to desapear.

CLUTTER!
Im more comfortable with "chaotic" places.

The Subwoofer.

--------------------
Sorry for my English, i know it sux(sometimes)...

Posts: 10 | From: São Paulo (Brazil) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 07:04      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

A rubber duck that I have had since I was 2.

A teddy bear I got the day I was born.

3. Are you a packrat?

Yes, but I have random fits of insanity and start throwing stuff and then desperately regret it afterwards.

I don't know how to clean. My study is pretty much packed with books and paper on the floor and piles of clothing and shoes. Wait, I think I spot a section of floor tile..better cover that over.

The rubber duck. It is the only material thing in the world to have brought me true happiness.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 07:07      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not one thing - but the collection of tools I have in my shop (also called the garage by my wife - like a car ever parks in there) Out of that list, probably my newest one (a beautiful Jointer - ewwww - shiny.....) is my current favorite - but that will change at the drop of a hat.

That I can think of right now... A plastic piggy bank that looks like Snoopy. Had that since I was small, and now my daughter is using it. Either that a a couple of Christmas ornaments that I got when I was 2-4 years old.

3. Are you a packrat?
In the words of my daughter - well duh! I'm a geek or I wouldn't be here and that makes me a packrat. Got a storage unit last year so we could store halloween decorations.... Going to build a whole another building (about 1000sq ft I hope) just to be my shop and to store my treasures.

I would love the house to be spic-and-span - but it aint' ever gonna happen. I like my stacks of magazines on the counter!

5. What item of your "stuff" would you have the hardest time getting rid of? Anything that has sentimental value - like the old Christmas ornaments that my grandma gave me.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 09:09      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These questions really made me think!

My viola, even though I don't play it much anymore. I worked all summer when I was in high school to earn the money to pay for half of it and it's a beautiful instrument.

Probably the chastity pin (anyone else remember those?) my grandmother gave me when I was 7.

3. Are you a packrat?
Unfortunately, yes.

I prefer spic-and-span; I love museums. I just can't get there. The living room is the one clean, mostly uncluttered room in the house.

My computer (dual 800 G4) - all my stuff is on there, and it's connected to everything.

Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 11:08      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, probably my ancient 5GB iPod.

I think either the bucket of KenStruct pieces my mother just returned to my or my Lionel train set. Both were gifts when I was very young, can't remember which came first.

3. Are you a packrat?
A bit, but not out of control. I'm pretty good at discarding stuff I know I'll never need.

I prefer a shade less than spic-n-span, but I always seem to end up with a disaster zone within a few weeks.

The KenStructs. I loved them when I was a kid and I couldn't help building a giant skyscraper with them last month when my mom returned them to me [shake head]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1741 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 12:06      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My primary camera. Pentax K1000, handed down from my uncle.

The tiny little chair my dad made for me when I was a wee fellow. It's about a foot and a half tall. Makes a lovely plant stand [Smile]

3. Are you a packrat?
I might have tendencies that way...

A neat freak except when it comes to my work space. Yikes.

Definitely the K1000.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 17:15      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my Pentax K1000 too. It takes such great pictures. I've gotten some more lenses for it over time too. How cool you have one too!
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 21:22      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Most prized material possession?
If by "prized" you mean "special"... I have a large American flag (about 6'x4') which flew over a ship during the Spanish-American War. It has only 45 stars on it (i.e., after Utah became a state and before Oklahoma). It was presented to my great-grandfather, the ship's mechanic, and was passed along to his son, then my dad, then me, and it will eventually go to my son.

2. Item you currently own you've had the longest?
A Christmas ornament with my name and the year handpainted on it which I received at Sunday School when I was 4. It looks like a gold disco ball.

3. Are you a packrat?
To a fault, but I'm a lot better than I used to be thanks to regular therapy and numerous emergency interventions. [Wink] [Wink]

4. Spic-and-span clean house or is some clutter necessary?
"Necessary"?! More like "unavoidable". My desks at home and at work look like my computer desktop...where icons are sometimes 2-3 deep. But the weird thing is that I still know exactly where everything is (though I could occasionally use the equivalent of Spotlight in my non-virtual world).

5. What item would you have the hardest time getting rid of?
Probably the photographs and slides (several thousand of 'em!) I've taken during my life. Save for my memory, they are often my strongest or only connection to people, places, and experiences which have, in essence, shaped who I am. Rational or not, parting with them would feel like parting with a piece of myself.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 21:22      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I love my Pentax K1000 too. It takes such great pictures. I've gotten some more lenses for it over time too. How cool you have one too!

It's a classic! That was my 1st SLR (as it was for many people). I got it in my early teens around 1980.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 05:10      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I am a bit late, but the Grummash clan elders decended last night so I didn't get near my compooter. Anyways, here goes:
If I have to pick an individual item, then it has to be my 15" flat-screen G4 iMac.

At first I thought it would be a Pentel automatic pencil which I have had for about 24 or 25 years, but then I remembered I still have my swimming towel from when I was about 5 or 6 yrs old, so that has been around for something like 33 years!

3. Are you a packrat?
Not sure what this means, but it seems to mean what we would call in the UK a 'hoarder'. In which case, yes, but I like to think I am selective and I am not hanging on to anything too pointless.

I'm not a neat-freak, but I don't like falling over piles of stuff either, so as long as the clutter is reasonably organised, I'm ok.

My book collection, and a couple of boxes of 'old stuff' that document my past.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 15:53      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Most prized? 1992 Harley Davidson FXRS-CON with over 1,000,000 miles on it. I put all those miles on, except for a couple miles a mechanic or two have added.

2. Autograph of Mickey Mantle that he signed for me in 1962. I was 8 at the time.

3. No, not really.

4. I like to keep things neat. I'm so much of a flake that if I kept things messy I would always be looking for something.

5. I went through a bankruptcy once. The house went, the cars went. The Harley is the only thing important I kept. Hit the road for a year right after that with nothing but camping gear, personal protection and a few momentos.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture