homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Death Of ANOTHER Hard Drive

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Death Of ANOTHER Hard Drive
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted September 29, 2005 10:42      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well last night whilst I was on IRC, i was having fun.. Then My Hard drive made some nasty sounds. Sounds not heard often. the sound of a bad spindle motor. the whirring, slowing sound as she can't spin under power....

So i got in a 0930 to the shop and tried swapping controler boards to be sure. Sadly, my hard drive died.

I am in the midst of installing an OS on my new (as if I really wanted to do it) Hard Drive. I have christened it Moblin Hunter. Hopefull it will not fail me soon...

Now i have to piece together some ancient backups....

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 10:52      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's bad news, macmcseboy!

hope you get everything restored soon [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 13:09      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it a total no hoper?

I have sometimes retrieved data from a "failing/failed" HD by putting it into a much older machine as a slave (I don't know if the slower bus speed makes it more forgiving or what) and then copying what can be saved either to that machine's HD or an external.... Might be worth a try (of course if it can't spin up to operating speed it is probably hopeless but I tend to try try try before I finally consign HDs to the trash).

I have even recovered apparently useless HDs by reformatting them in older machines and then using them for low stress (non critical) data storage on these old machines (multiple redundant back up, or storing rarely used but occasionally useful old Apps, that kind of thing...) Anything that doesn't require a lot of read write cycles.

Not that I am trying to teach you how to suck eggs - but you never know, salvaged data is always good...

[Frown]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted September 29, 2005 13:12      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh man, my sympathies. [cry baby]

Remember the 1st Tech Commandment...
Backup backup backup.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 14:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel your pain MMB.

I'm having a similar, but less serious, problem right now.
Windoze has just stopped recognising the external USB hard disk I've been using for backups.
'Unknown Device' under Windoze on the home server.
Works fine on the same PC under Linux.
Works fine on another PC running Windoze.

At least I haven't lost any data, but if I can't get Windoze to talk to the USB drive, it's going to make backups and restores a right pain in the posterior.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 14:55      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had two hard drives die big time on our server here at work this Monday. The timing couldn't have been worse as we are swapping e-mail systems too.

They are installing stuff from our back up tapes now, but it is a pain in the @. We couldn't getting any data off the ones that crashed and burned.

Hope you didn't loose too much data.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 15:09      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am never worried about my data.. I have a small user back up on my ipod... my anime was safe on an external.. it' just the convention planning material that i am missing... I can get that back from other members...

I am back to 80% of original... looks like thats as good as it gets. [Smile]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted September 29, 2005 17:00      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ouch! [weep]

Laughter is the best Tech Support... perhaps this will help.
http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=001123

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 18:01      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
ouch! [weep]

Laughter is the best Tech Support... perhaps this will help.
http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=001123

I have to say you have spectacular timing

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture