homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - your oldies play list (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Friday Five - your oldies play list
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 18:40      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I don't have oldies on my play list [Wink]

But if I did, it'd be things like Queen and Led Zeppelin. And maybe even a bit of Tom Jones.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 18:49      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, keeping in mind I'm 24, so my "oldies" might not be old for everyone...

1. Bye Bye Blackbird - Carmen McRae
2. London Calling - The Clash
3. Death on Two Legs - Queen
4. My Way - Sex Pistols
5. Second Hand News - Fleetwood Mac

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 19:50      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. "Numa Numa Song" SLAP!!! SLAP!!!! [Eek!]

Sorry...

Only 5 is tough. Really really tough; and depending on the day I'll answer differently. So here's today's top 5:

1. Dirty Blue Gene (1980 version)- Captain Beefheart
2. From a Buick 6 - Bob Dylan
3. Nutty - Thelonious Monk
4. A Mission in Life - Stan Ridgway
5. Adagietto from Mahler's 5th conducted by Karajan (1973)

That's a pitifully short and exclusive list. Next time ask for our top 200 songs. [Big Grin]

And some of you in your 20s are listing oldies that are older than yourselves!!! I was expecting "ABC", "Prince", or "Nirvana" - not "The Clash" or "The Sex Pistols". Those are even oldies for people in their 30s. There goes the brain again!! [crazy]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 22:13      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually I saw JT live at the Marillion "Garden Party" at Milton Keynes Bowl many years ago.

Serenak - I was there [Applause] Did you think the Mama's Boys bassist was flat? And wasn't it hot?? I could have done without the Welsh Bikers throwing bottles of p***, but the fireworks at the end were excellent. I'll try to find some Trust...

GG - We are big Willie Nelson fans in the Grummash household - he is the only person who can really 'do' Stardust apart from Nat King Cole.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 05:46      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Jimi Hendrix Experience - Voodoo Chile
2) Eagles - Life in the Fast Lane
3) Rush - Tom Sawyer
4) Blind Faith - Can't Find My Way Home
5) Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

... or pick any 5 songs from the couple thousand that qualify for this list.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 07:43      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:

GG - We are big Willie Nelson fans in the Grummash household - he is the only person who can really 'do' Stardust apart from Nat King Cole.

Oooh Oooh Oooh. Let me add Always On My Mind and Whiskey River and Worried Man from the new album and....

Then let me throw in Aqualung(of Course) and Locomotive Breath and Thick as a Brick and Too old to Rock n' Roll.....

...And Ellen Mcilwaine did a fantastic rendition of Can't Find My Way Home on her Honky Tonk Angel album(1972). And it only took me 10 years to find out that she is still playing and recording. Must go see her live.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 23, 2005 07:51      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, it's Friday now, and the only time-critical task I had to do is done so allow me to add my list. I don't have much "old" rock/pop songs. Most are '80s and later. (And yet, the only one coming to my mind is "Final Countdown" by Europe. I'll have to dig out my old tape to get it out of my mind.) So to have an Oldies list, I'd have to go for:

1 - Ode to the Joy, Beethoven
2 - Winter, 1st movement, Vivaldi
3 - O Fortuna, Orff
4 - Lacrimosa (from the Requiem), Mozart
5 - Toccata & Fuga in D flat, Bach

And I'm a bit sad to leave out Saint-Saëns' Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso, plus all the others not coming immediately to my mind. (Oh, and the exact order may change along my mood.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 09:15      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell: it was hot indeed that day Grummash,

We flew out to Spain the next day and looked browner than some of the people whod been there a week already... Man I reckon there were a few lobster pink bodies on the day after (like the guy in front of me how drank six cans of lager, smoked a couple of jays and passed out from about 1-2pm till about 5 or 6 and missed the whole afternoon's sets!!!)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 11:19      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak - just to make sure this nostalgia for 1986 runs it's course...how about this:

I was at College at the time of the Garden party (Preston Poly) and if memory serves, the ticket price including a National Exprees Return coach seat was 13.50 [crazy]

/me switches to Monty Python standard-issue Yorkshireman voice: ..." and you tell that to the kids of today... and they won't believe you..."

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 12:18      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we (myself and girlfriend of the time) paid 25 for two tickets (a long time ago now innit?) including the phone booking charge... but I do remember that Marillion's promoters always kept back tickets at all their gigs for sale "on the door" and had heavies cruising the queues/carparks etc. telling people not to pay over the advertised prices, "don't buy from touts - plenty of official tickets still available..." This was true at all the Marillion gigs I went to - very nice.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 13:09      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Marillion's promoters always kept back tickets at all their gigs for sale "on the door"
This was cool, but it does contrast with Rothery & Trewavas, hanging out of the window over the Stage Door and throwing fireworks at those of us who couldn't get into the pub next door before the gig [ohwell] Happy Days....

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 13:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo, I absolutely LOVE your list!! [Big Grin] Those pieces are true classics. [Applause]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 19:35      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's obvious that some people's oldies are "oldy-er" than others'. [Wink]

Here are mine, in no particular order:
1) Cast Your Fate to the Wind - (several artists)
2) S.O.S. - ABBA
3) Rocky Mountain High - John Denver
4) The Story in Your Eyes - The Moody Blues
5) Let It Be Me - (several artists)

Reflecting on this list, I realize that my choices are not based so much on the music itself as on the emotional attachment I have with each piece. They're songs I wouldn't want to "lose" because they bring to mind something important to me.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 04:19      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo - I don't listen to much classical music, but it is good to see someone flying the flag for Carmina Burana.

--------------------

Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 08:17      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a hopeless romantic so anything that is R&B or smooth music I love. Here are some examnples:

1. Jackson 5 "Got to be there"
2. Charlie Wilson "Charlie, last name Wilson"
3. Jagged Edge "Walked out of heaven"
4. The Isley Borthers "Me and Mrs. Jones"
5. Jodeci " My heart belongs to you" and "Forever my lady"

Have to add Baby Face, 112 and Ruff Endz too.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 18:41      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best way to put this, my current mood:

1. Cream- Sunshine of your Love
2. Scorpions- There's No One Like You
3. Nazareth- Hair of the Dog
4. Heart- Crazy On You
5. Blondie- Maria (Yes, gotta have Blondie [Smile] )

--------------------
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2005 12:09      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think like everyone that there are so many memories and so many favourite songs that 5 just doesn't do justice, however and in no particular order;

Lazarus - The Boo Radleys
Song To The Siren - This Mortal Coil
Black Star - Radiohead
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
Glory Box - Portishead

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 06:21      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Portishead counts as oldies??

I figured there should be at least a 20 year minimum age requirement.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 07:14      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
Portishead counts as oldies??

I figured there should be at least a 20 year minimum age requirement.

Not just Portishead then;

'Black Star' 1995
'Glory Box' 1994
'Lazarus' 1993
'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' 1986

so here's my Friday One!
'Song To The Siren' 1983

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture