homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Rita's looking more dangerous than Katrina (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Rita's looking more dangerous than Katrina
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 22:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Why doesn't she just put the animals down and get herself to safety?

/me wonders why a person would risk his/her life for animals. For other people, for sure, but for animals? Craziness....

Welcome to the culture of life. This is a person who values something greater than herself. It may seem crazy, but it's the kind of craziness that produces heroics. It's the kind of craziness that you depend on, every day, without even realizing it unless you've had to dial 911 or ask for some other sort of emergency help.

How we treat things under our power reflects on how we treat each other and what kind of person we are. I would do the same as Aditu's friend if I were in that position.

TFD, I think you and I were too overwhelming for poor csk in the collective.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 22:12      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want some really funny humor, Liz Curtis Higgs is featured on today's Focus on the Family. She's absolutely hysterical!! Find out when it's broadcast on your local station here: http://www.family.org/fmedia/radiolog/index.cfm

Hmmm... they also have a link to listen directly to the broadcast from the homepage. Right now it shows Thursday's broadcast, but give it a few hours and they'll put up Liz's link.

Focus on the Family is a distinctly Christian organization, but those of you who aren't Christians will appreciate this broadcast too.

EDIT: Now that I've heard almost all of the broadcast, this is definitely one I'm downloading and keeping. My co-workers must think I'm crazy for the laughs coming out of my cubicle (if they didn't think I was crazy before this! [Razz] ).

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 22:16      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
TFD, I think you and I were too overwhelming for poor csk in the collective.

We're all individuals!

I'm not!

Shut up!
</Monty Python>

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 23:07      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maia:
Just a bit touchy right now. We stand to lose our home and everything we own. I was hoping to come on here and find a bit of support, and find someone who seems to have no regard for our situation. Maybe I'm just not used to this kind of humor.

maia

I am glad to learn you made it safely out with your animals and computer gear. That the prospect of losing your house and other possessions is causing you stress is understandable. I do not envy your situation, and I offer no humor in your direction since it seems a really bad time for that.

We lost a good deal of our supplies in a flood when we were living in the Missouri Ozarks. (Gully washer is what the locals called it. It was a flash flood.) It was disheartening to walk miles downstream picking remnants of things from the trees and banks of the river. But we were fortunate that no people or animals were lost or injured and we were able to recoup and rebuild in a very short time. This last is offered as an encouragement. For even if your material losses are great where there is life, there is hope.

Let us know how you fare, and I pray you fare well.

gg

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 23:41      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maia, I hope things work out for you, Orpheus, and the pets. Will be thinking of you guys over the next few days. [Frown]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 23:44      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

/me wonders why a person would risk his/her life for animals. For other people, for sure, but for animals? Craziness....

Ummm... not wanting to start an out and out flame war here, but by that logic do you then think that all animals - wild and domesticated - in parts that may or may not be hit by the hurricane should be put down, just in case they might drown? And that any families that are on the outlying, might be hit areas, (if for whatever reason they can't take them) should put down their pets just in case they might end up drowning?

Life is life, human or otherwise. I think Aditu's friend is doing something very honourable and very dedicated: taking her life into her own hands in order to try and save some others. Takes a brave person.

/rant. Thanks for putting up with it.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
God
Geek Larva
Member # 2398

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 00:55      Profile for God         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Nice trolling, God. How about all of those animal sacrifices in the Old Testament, eh? Or the scapegoat thing? Or where you told the Israelites to go and hamstring the horses of opposing armies? The list goes on.

/If I believed in a God, they wouldn't be into animal cruelty. Or cruelty of any kind, really.
//And under Christian theology, Christians don't have a permanent record.

Um...that book wasn't written by me or "inspired" by me. I can tell you right now, most of that stuff never even happened. I can have permanent records if I want. I'm not a Christian or any other organized religion.

--------------------
Satan? What a moron!

Posts: 22 | From: Heaven | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 03:07      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is always reassuring when God makes one of his infrequent appearances here. I am relieved that we are still under his all seeing eye.

Rhonnie - it is hard to explain the emotional bond some of us have with animals in our care if you have no personal experience of it, but I understand perfectly why someone would do that. I think that the painter Rembrandt once said that in the event of a fire occurring in his house he would rather save his cat than his paintings, though of course that is more a reflection on the comparative value of art and life.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 07:08      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If the animals are going to die as a result of the storm, put them to sleep humanely, then get the heck out of there.

But, the fact is, you don't know if they're going to die because of the storms. Animals have been around without human intervention for a long time, and I'm sure that many, many animals have seen (and survived) hurricanes without human-built shelters. So, why not just let them fend for themselves? They'll either die or they won't, if you kill them then they're guaranteed to die. I've seen your arguement, but I think it is immoral to kill anything unless you have a VALID reason to.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 12:10      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have probably explained. She runs a shelter. She has 60 animals right now that she is looking to place. She couldn't move that many animals. And to be honest, she couldn't afford to put them down even if she wanted to. She sells on ebay. She sells tuppeware. She does all sorts of things to bring these poor things back to health, so they can be adopted. It never adds up to enough. Hence she doesn't have the transport to move them. And the kind of person who would run a shelter, wouldn't just leave them.

Maia, I hope that when you get back things will be okay. I will be thinking good thoughts. Glad you are away.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 12:28      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. What a dedicated woman. I love animals (I was a nature conselor at my local boy scout camp) and I love my cats too. One of them I actually got while at camp because some .... person left a whole litter of em by the side of the road. I don't mean to get all sappy, but I understand where this woman is coming from. She has put a lot of heart and soul into saving those animals.

Oh, and btw, Rita is weakening more and more as she approaches landfall.

Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 12:42      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praise your deity of choice for that, but it isn't over it's over and gone - so let's all keep the goodwill stoked and hope that those in its path are spared a repeat of Katrina's ferocity...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted September 23, 2005 17:14      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swear Americans must have a love affair with Russian Roulette:   [shake head]
    Building homes made out of "two-by-fours" on sandy beaches where tropical cyclones are part of nature.

As I've said before, the people on Okinawa build everything out of concrete because every year they get hit by at least one typhoon. LA may not get major earthquakes every year, but homes are built to withstand them.

Which makes more sense?
(a) Build a $50,000 house every 10 years because of the one hurricane that makes a direct hit every decade.
(b) Build a $55,000 house which lasts 40 years, but needs $10,000 of repairs when a major hurricane hits once each decade.

The Math:
* $50K House: $50K + ($50K/10yrs) x 40yrs = $250,000
* $55K House: $55K + ($10K/10yrs) x 40yrs = $95,000

By the way, if you live in the $55,000 house you don't (usually) have to evacuate, you won't be homeless, and you won't lose prized possessions like old photographs.

Notes:
* The $55K assumes the cost of construction to a higher building code adds 10%: $50K + $5K for stronger materials and better design.
* US tax law indicates that a residential property (like your home) should last 27.5 years based on allowed depreciation. However, it should be noted that homes may last 50 years or more, as seen in historical districts.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 20:48      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to see you build a house for $50k these days. [Roll Eyes] Unless you're talking about a two room shack.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 20:53      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking if you build it yourself you'd be able to keep the costs lower than hiring a contractor to do it. A family at my church is building a styrofoam house. Their anticipated costs are less than $50k so far. Of course that's not typical construction material.

Buying a house in Lancaster City'll run ya somewhere between $50k-$90k. In the suburbs, you'll pay double for the same amount of square footage.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 21:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$50-90k to buy a house?! /me collapses....

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 21:45      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Uh...dman...They're made of papier mache.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 22:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:

I'm not talking about *that* house...she inferred that was a common price for houses in general around there.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 23:00      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not talking about *that* house...she inferred that was a common price for houses in general around there.
I know. It was those to which I was referring. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 23:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A family at my church is building a styrofoam house.

Let's hope we never get to find out how that stands up to a hurricane !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 23:52      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure of the physics behind the project. I think it'll have the usual wood framing, but the rest of everything will be styrofoam. It'll be extremely easy to heat and cool.

Personally, I'd like a straw-insulated house with adobe walls.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 23:54      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know. It was those to which I was referring. [Big Grin]
Hah. You wish, gg! The houses in the city are older and better built than the houses in the suburbs, but because they're in the city the asking price is so much lower. Friends of mine bought a five-bedroom house for under $100k. That amount of money won't even get you a rancher less than two miles away.

--------------------

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted September 24, 2005 10:25      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Math:
* $50K House: $50K + ($50K/10yrs) x 40yrs = $250,000
* $55K House: $55K + ($10K/10yrs) x 40yrs = $95,000

If it makes you feel better, add a zero to the numbers.   [shake head]

The Math:
* $500K House: $500K + ($500K/10yrs) x 40yrs = $2,500,000
* $550K House: $550K + ($100K/10yrs) x 40yrs =   $950,000

BTW: Land is a separate cost. The price of land does not increase by 10% for trying to make it hurricane resistant. The exception is if your "land" is sand on a beach; in which case, no amount of money that you spend will change the fact that it will wash away.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 13:15      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

Welcome to the culture of life. This is a person who values something greater than herself. It may seem crazy, but it's the kind of craziness that produces heroics. It's the kind of craziness that you depend on, every day, without even realizing it unless you've had to dial 911 or ask for some other sort of emergency help.

How we treat things under our power reflects on how we treat each other and what kind of person we are. I would do the same as Aditu's friend if I were in that position.

Brava, Xan!
Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 14:25      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy $hit I de-lurked Red!

/me takes a bow

As far as housing prices go, where I live it's outrageous. Not as bad as CA, but ugly. I saw small, 4-bedroom fixer-upper going for >$300K. The people who own houses around here are multi-millionaires. Everyone else either commutes in from another town, rents, owns a condo/apartment, or owns or rents a trailer. That said, a "cheap" condo is still more than $100K. "Trailer trash" in my area would be homeowners where you live Rhonnie. I saw a house that'd be worth $400K in Seattle go for a million here. It's ridiculous. The city council has actually designated certain areas as "affordable housing" and put a cap on how much a condo or townhouse can go for in those zones because people are leaving town and taking their money with them due to the housing problem.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture