homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - random factoids (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Friday Five - random factoids
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2005 07:04      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. When I was younger, my brothers bullied me and made me into a tom boy. So much that I would play football with them on Sundays and throw better than most of their friends. You would never know now with all the girly clothes I wear.

2. People cannot figure out my race. I have been mistaken for Black, Phillipian, Dominican and Indian. None of which I am but I like to see people guess.

3. Have been paying rent since I was able to work(14). Which has made me a lot smarter and I am very strong willed unlike other people my age.

4. I am 5'1" and I am only attracted to men over 5'11".

5. I have a very close relationship with my mother.

6. I have to listen to spanish music when cleaning. I clean a lot faster.

7. On the cleaning note, I am obsessive compulsive too.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2005 08:33      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

2. I have 3 of something that most men only have 2 of.

Me too! Oh wait, you didn't mean parents-in-law? [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2005 12:10      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

3. When I was young, I could hear bat sonar, but not any more. I can still hear some computer monitors high-pitched squeal that other workmates can't.

i used to be able to hear very high frenquency sounds quite clearly, all kinds, but now only sounds from electronic devices are audible.

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I don’t care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2005 20:36      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2. My current favorite lipstick color is "Shell".

5. I have a photographic memory -- I once memorized a 200-digit number (it took me 3 minutes to do it). The downside, though, is that I have trouble remembering things unless they're represented visually.

1. With a few exceptions, I don't kill bugs in the house -- I capture them and put them outside.

3. I can play "The Star-Spangled Banner" on my teeth.

4. I enjoy really, really hot showers.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2005 21:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tech Angel:

5. I have a photographic memory -- I once memorized a 200-digit number (it took me 3 minutes to do it). The downside, though, is that I have trouble remembering things unless they're represented visually.

Me too, sorta. I won't memorize a 200 digit numbner digit for digit, but if you showed me a list of 200 digit numbers I'd be able to point it out. It's all about patterns with me, patterns and spatial relationships, which can be a huge bonus in my line of work. The pattern thing is the weirdest bit about my memory - I'll pick up patterns in events and appearances completely subconciously, and then, the moment something goes out of whack, I notice without even realizing why. I can see myself turning into one of those freaky people who can tell you all about the internal symmetry of a crystal just from looking at one frame of a diffraction pattern.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2005 21:59      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
It's all about patterns with me, patterns and spatial relationships, which can be a huge bonus in my line of work.

...which, I suppose, is something that both attracts you to your line of work and makes you good at it.

I understand what you mean about the pattern recognition. I work a lot with learning preferences and learning styles, and it's so interesting to see how differently people learn and remember things.

Hey, only four more posts for you to reach another milestone! (Cripes, I've been on these forums for four years and am only gently pushing toward 200!)

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2005 22:00      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Uhm, I think I'm going to do more than 5, I have lots of interesting quirks that I want to share with the world.)

1. I have two belly buttons. One is natural from the umbilical cord, the second is from a feeding tube I had put in at 8 months old, the tube popped out on its own, leaving behind a second belly button. Steph finds it very adorable.

2. My thumbs don't bend at the second knuckle (that is the knuckle closest the end). The knuckle exists and I can grab my thumb and bend it just a little bit (~30°?) but it serves no gripping function. Compared to normal people, my thumbs are also narrower and shorter in relation to the rest of my fingers.

3. I am a horrible procrastonator, but doing things at the last minute gives me a lot of motivation and I always do well at the hurried things I do.

4. A part of me abhors electricty and technology. I would like to "try out" being amish for a month or so and see how I like it. I can't help but feel that we humans have inevitably and irreversably screwed things up for ourselves by producing our technology. We've messed up our natural sleep cycle with artificial lights and alarm clocks and we've learned to equate "comfort" and happiness, however untrue that equation actually is. Despite this belief, I can't part with my computer, or my microbus, or my refrigerator, or gas stove, or automatic washers and dryers, or running water, or electric lights.

5. I would really like to take a 1 to 2 week sabatical and spend my time camping out in the deep woods, completely away from technology and the hum it creates. I often wonder that if we learn to tune out so many things (traffic noise, planes flying overhead, sirens, etc.) what else we tune out and don't realize we are tuning out. Could we, perhaps, be hearing the 60Hz buzz (50Hz for you on the other side of the pond) in our electric wires all the time, but we've been conditioned to tune it out?

6. I can hear sounds from about 30Hz to 19000Hz, my hearing drops out at around 19000, but picks back up around 23000Hz. Thus, I can hear a very high pitched sound that cheap TVs and old computer monitors throw off. It kind of hurts my ears. I can also hear electronic pest repellers and the "supersonic bird repeller" that's attached to one of the buildings at school. The Hz mesurements were from an electronics class I took in high school (a speaker hooked to a sine wave generator) and may not be accurate since I went to see Lynard Skynard and heard ringing in my ears for the subsequent 5 days afterward.

7. I love NPR, it is the only thing I listen to on the radio. If I ever listen to any commercial stations, I find myself getting irritated at the number and repeatition of the commercials they play.

8. I, finally, no longer own a television set. I think TV is truly "the opiate of the masses." That said, it was very hard giving it up, and I still watch TV occasionally, although I get irritated by the commercials on TV just as I do on radio.

9. I feel like I must be a true hippie at heart even though I don't appreciate the hard drugs part of hippism. I love being nekkid and find nothing inherently sexual or dirty about it, and I love driving and fixing my VW Bus (although I do that fully clothed for safty reasons). I also don't understand why people can't just love one another, why we have to be so horrible to each other, why we can't give a little more. I don't know why people don't understand that if everybody worked together we'd all have everything we needed and would want for nothing. I don't understand why after even 2000 years, people still don't understand what "love one another" means. And I don't understand how people who claim to follow Jesus of Nazareth, The Christ, can go around judging people and driving them apart, creating more hate and hypocritically ignoring the rule of love they claim to follow.

10. I long for deeper spirituality but rarely follow through with the practice of it.

11. I am on a constant concious persuit to irradicate all lies from all of my communication: spoken, typed, or written. It is very very very hard.

12. I like talking about myself and the things I think about (if that's not already obvious).

13. The thought of getting old scares the shit out of me. Alz Heimers disease is my biggest fear, it ranks higher than any physical ailment. The thought of losing everything I have, losing my conciousness, my sense of self, my ability to reason... is more fearsome to me then death.

14. I don't fear death much because I've made peace with it. If, indeed, there is nothing after this, then that is how it will be. If there is, then I know that my faith will lead me to where I need to go. I am willing to give up all of my posessions to death to gain that which is currently unfathomable.

15. I think faith is very important, however structured religion causes many many problems. Nonetheless I'm a devout Catholic 23-year-old virgin. Any time religion supports hate or segregation it is wrong.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 05:21      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I've been studying Latin for ten years, but I still get really flustered any time anyone asks me to translate something off the top of my head.

2. Whenever I see anyone cry, I shut down and try to distance myself from them as much as possible. I don't know how to express sympathy or provide a shoulder for anyone. I feel bad for them when I think about it later, but at the time, I just get angry at them for being so blatantly upset, and I don't know why.

3. My favourite memory of childhood is of being in a wheat field with my parents at sunset. The wheat looked as if it was burning. Sometimes I think that if I could recapture that moment, there wouldn't be anything left for me to do on earth anymore, and I'd just drop dead.

4. Sometimes I avoid GC for a while, because I feel stupid reading all the computer related threads, and not having a clue what anyone is talking about.

5. Every night before I go to sleep, I go into my little sisters' room to check and double check if she's breathing. I can't sleep unless I do this.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 15:22      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacManKrisK

Respect to you for a very honest posting... I know that a lot of the posts in this thread have been very open and sharing, but I think that there was a lot of stuff in your post which made it a very brave action. To pick up on one point you made, you are not alone in yearning for a simpler, more 'primitive' lifestyle. In the UK we don't have the Amish option, but there are many people who would like to try a year on a Hebridean island.. just the sea and the gulls for company and supplies delivered every few weeks if the boat can get to the island.
I think that if we could find a way to relate to the seasons in our everyday lives, then we would recover something special which we have lost to technology.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 17:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK, you probably'd be surprised to find out how much modern conveniences play into the everyday lives of the Amish. What you'd like better is going to one of those settlements in Canada or in the mid-west United States. There you have to eat, sleep, breathe like a person in the given time period. And it's all caught on tape. It's amazing how hard life was back then—even a simple meal took longer to prepare than to eat it. We have it so easy today.
Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 18:23      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admire your interest in leaving technology. I don't honestly know if I could. My mom and I did spend a long weekend in a Shaker village, which was an interesting experience.

TFD, how do you know what gorilla fur feels like......

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 19:05      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell, I'm two days late but I guess I'll post anyways.

1. I'm 6'4.5'' and weigh in at 280lbs, and am happy to say that most of it is muscle (I'm still working on posting a pic for y'all to look at).

2. I am one of only two people taking all available AP courses at my highschool, and I'm also a starter on the varsity football team (Defensive tackle, for those of you who care), effectively disproving the 'stupid jock' stereotype.

3. I have extremely poor luck with members of the opposite sex; I think I'm too intimidating.

4. my ideal computer would be a linux machine running Mac OS X applications and interface.

5. My favorite programming language? Definitely a tie between C and Python. They're both excellent languages, and very good at what they were designed to do. My discovery of python has led to my final renunciation of java.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 19:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
TFD, how do you know what gorilla fur feels like......

Went to visit the Mountain Gorillas in Zaire on my 35th birthday.

Shortly after taking this picture of a cute baby gorilla, a protective mother gorilla gave me a lesson in gorilla etiquette that I will never forget.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
gladiator
Geek Larva
Member # 4387

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 19, 2005 21:47      Profile for gladiator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.I would be a storm chaser freak if given the time and money by winning the lottery.Traveling the Great "Tornado Alley" for the perfect F5 twister. In other words,one of those nuts videotaping a tornado from 100 yds away and enjoying every minute of it.
2.Drumming like Neil Peart of Rush would be another thrill for me. I have no musical talent whatsoever, but seriously all you Rush fans know what I mean when I say this one!
3.I need to go to Australia before I die. People seem down to earth and country seems striking and beautiful.
4.I lost a 400 meter race in a high school track meet by more than 50 yds. In other words, everybody finished about 15 seconds ahead of me. No idea why the coach thought I was 400 meter material.
5.Owning a golden retreiver, who by the way came from a rescue group for goldens, has been a 16 year dream of mine and it's great I finally have one!!!

--------------------
Gladiator:(noun)Celebrity and entertainer for the Roman masses.... without the paparazzi

Posts: 28 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2005 04:29      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I like chicken
2. My favorite word is "Outstanding"
3. I'm a generally happy man
4. I love doing stuff that makes me shake and realize just how fragile my life is. e.g. Sky diving. I guess you could say I'm a thrill seeker.
5. I strongly believe it is the simple things in life that get you by.

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2005 07:19      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jace!

Oustanding! [Big Grin] Damn good to see you post. I was wondering about you the other day. Good to see you are still up and moving.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2005 08:12      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gladiator:

2.Drumming like Neil Peart of Rush would be another thrill for me. I have no musical talent whatsoever, but seriously all you Rush fans know what I mean when I say this one!

Amen, sir.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture