homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Google Talk (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Google Talk
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 23, 2005 17:25      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cannot wait for this.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted August 23, 2005 20:25      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't have to wait!

http://www.google.com/talk/

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2005 20:35      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh...I had already connected via Adium before the site went live. Fergie's blog pointed to an updated /. story implying it was live, and I just tried my username/pw to connect to talk.google.com. and turned on the TLS part would be the case, having done the Gmail over POP bit, (Google believes in security) and the rest was history. [Smile]

The only problem?

I don't have anyone else to talk to with it. [Razz]

(I connected to it, though...that counts, right?)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 00:31      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually did an audio chat with Jon from Googlerumors.com so he could get some screenshots for the the article... Sounds almost as good as skype, but at this point he and I were likely the only ones on the server [Wink]

A couple notes:
- voice chat only works with their client (Windows XP/2000)
- I had no trouble setting up iChat's Jabber client and IM works fine. Though you would think since iChat has audio and video conference capability, that we could join the voice party...
- As DM mentioned, it should work fine with Adium or any Jabber client.

Anyway, you can listen to Marc and I discuss Google Talk on this week's Wizards of Technology podcast, at http://www.wizardsoftechnology.com/?q=node/view/149

=DB

Like we all need another frakking IM protocol and platform.

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 01:43      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frakking? Haven't heard that one before.....

Like we need another way of not saying f [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 02:24      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...

I need a way to get all my friends on MSN to use this. Any suggestions? For some reason, MSN Messenger seems to be the popular one in the UK.

I'll have to work out how to get Adium to do an autoreply to people who try to contact me through MSN - "Max can no longer be reached through the MSN protocol - please visit www.google.com/talk for an alternative."

Or is that just likely to get me really unpopular really quickly? [Wink]

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 05:10      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well MSN requires you use e-mail address's.

Use your gmail account to send invites to those users and include a message somthing along the lines of: "Get link:googletalk"

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 06:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, have signed on.

Feel free to add [email protected] if you like. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 24, 2005 08:50      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Unofficial Apple Weblog says you can you can audio chat over Google Talk with iChat too. [Eek!]

but i haven't figured that out yet. [blush]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 10:29      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a former employee of Jabber.com Inc., I am heartened to see that Google has chosen to use Jabber/XMPP for its new service. I bet the jabber.org guys are ecstatic, too...

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
wdinc01
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4295

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 12:13      Profile for wdinc01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. Now I have more evidence saying that Gmail is better than any other email service. And my friends wouldn't believe me... oh well. They're missing out
Posts: 3 | From: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 13:25      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on too. Not the google client, but using gaim. (Maybe they will make a linux client too?)

alphanum3r1c at gmail dot com

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 14:41      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Offically on,
Alfrin at gmail dot com
</shameless-plug>

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 15:04      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in as linda.j.matias. I love google mail service and this makes it so much better. [Big Grin]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 17:40      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now what would be great is for them to integrate it with hello by picasa and allow other file transfers besides photos and movies. That would rock.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 17:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I just talked to a friend of mine on it for quite a bit, and I think we've both come to the conclusion that the sound quality is really good...and that the whole system is awesome! The fact that it's using open source software (except for the audio) makes Google rock that much more. [Smile]

I love Google! [hearts]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 18:10      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman....

So if I'm understanding this correctly, if I have a microphone attached to my laptop and the right software*, I can do something akin to VoIP?

*But I'm on a Mac, so I can only do the video feature using iChat or Adium, not the voice chat?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 18:20      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to this page the only OS that can do voice calls via google talk is Windows at present.

However, there is the option for free voice over Internet calls via Skype, which has Windows, OS/X and Linux clients. I've not played with it myself, but I'm told it works well. As long as you have a reasonable download quota on your broadband plan, you're golden.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 18:36      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehh, I have a cell phone. The only reason I'd be tempted to use Skype is for overseas calls.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 18:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very opposed to Skype, primarily on principle.

I do not see any mention of iChat being able to do the audio part of Google Talk. Google does seem to have support for many standards, but I have yet to see real documentation of doing it without the official client.

I did use the official client, at work, and my friend was using Windows on his laptop at home. It kicked ass - 'nuff said.

Now, I'm using it on Adium, not for any real practical reason. [Wink]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 18:52      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Ehh, I have a cell phone. The only reason I'd be tempted to use Skype is for overseas calls.

Yeah, but why would you want to talk to people who live in another country anyway. Oh...wait...

So what's your moral objection to Skype, dman?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 18:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a few VoIP calls using MSN Messenger during my early years in university. Technology wasn't that great so the call quality was really poor. [Frown]

I have nothing against calling people overseas.... especially if they have great accents! [Wink]

--------------------

Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 19:49      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn loves her some accents. lol

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 20:35      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn: That's not VoIP. VoIP is good quality, and very serious tech. [Smile] I played with that 'voice chat' or what-have-you over AIM in the late 90s, and it was terrible. [Razz] Google Talk, OTOH, is pretty great quality. With talk of SIP support, it sounds like it is on its way to becoming VoIP.

csk: Skype is allegedly P2P, and from the makers of KaZaA. Both of these things make me ill at ease, the latter even more than the former. However, on the former note, I *really* object to the idea of having your customers share out a resource that really isn't theirs, for their business model. They are basically turning the ISPs network into their own high tech PSTN, and that isn't right. If they want to do that, then they need to be paying the ISPs to carry their traffic. Instead, the customers are paying the ISPs to carry traffic that may not even be for their own use. If you're going to provide a service for your customers, you must provision for the required resources.

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 20:36      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. I freely admit that I'm a sucker for accents, particularly those with British influences. My least favorite are Southern US accents.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture