homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » MMKK's First Apartment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MMKK's First Apartment
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2005 23:37      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I'm 23 and I'm finally moving out. I'm going back to school and am planning on becoming an Elementary teacher.

I'm still in the process of moving all my shiz, but I've got 3/4 of it moved. I'm renting a small (very) studio apartment with a large closet and a little kitchen nook area. Most importantly, though, I've got H0T P1X!

Here's the kitchen when I first moved in... bare..
 -

Here's the "after" shot... the cupboard doors were open intentionally, to demonstrate my well-stokedness to Mom.
 -

Here's my lovely furnature, a loveseat I got from my cousin (that he was going to throw out), a chair I got from my Aunt that was just sitting in a spare bedroom collecting dust, and an end table from some friends of my parents. You can see me in the kitchen doing dishes...
 -

This is a better pic of me in the Kitchen...
 -

Here's the other side of the room, you can see my computer desk there (computer stuff still needs to be hauled to the other side of the state), this is looking into the room if you're standing in front of the end table. My bed is slated to go into the empty area here, too.
 -

So, that's the grand tour. I'm excited, Mom is terrified. It's an uphill battle trying to get her to let go.... but that's another story.

I'll conclude with one more pic. This is a pic that Steph took out the car window and it's of the Ypsilanti brick water tower, which is about 1/2 mile from my apartment; it's also known as: the Brick Dick. I think you can figure out why....
 -

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 08:29      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on the new pad.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 09:32      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good MMKK. Computers would have been the first thing I moved in. [Wink]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 09:43      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay!!MMKK!!!

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 12:28      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good MMKK

I never had a batchelor pad - when I left home i went into a rented house with my girlfriend of the time.

It looks nice though - "compact and bijou" as we laughingly call it here in the UK, still that means less to clean.

Hope you enjoy it and are have many happy memories of it to take forward in your life!
[Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 20, 2005 06:31      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Mac. I moved out when I was 19 and it was a great decision. Although I had to handle things on my own(never had a roomate), it is so much fun. I always had people over the house because I was the only one with my own place. Wow, the parties and the.... [Razz]

Have fun hun, enjoy your freedom and remember, you can do WHATEVER you want now.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 08:03      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats man, that's pretty h0t [Smile]
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 20, 2005 18:43      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey MMKK, that's awesome!!!

I remember the thrill of my first apartment. There's nothing better than having your own space, decorating how you want, playing whatever music you want, leaving your clothes in a pile on the bathroom floor... (ok, so I'm a slob.) :-)

Anyway, congrats!

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 18:52      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessycat:
leaving your clothes in a pile on the bathroom floor... (ok, so I'm a slob.) :-)

Is that sort of like how I'm an IT professional, yet my computer at home has a "to do" list a few pages long [Wink]

Back on topic, congratulations on the new place, MMKK, moving out is a great thing, enjoy it.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 18:55      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by Jessycat:
leaving your clothes in a pile on the bathroom floor... (ok, so I'm a slob.) :-)

Is that sort of like how I'm an IT professional, yet my computer at home has a "to do" list a few pages long [Wink]

csk, I think it's *exactly* the same thing.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 19:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
csk: Yes, indeed - the shoemaker who goes barefoot.

Same way my laptop sits atop furniture now. But...at least my server has now been going for 411 days... (412 in an hour and 9 minutes).

My Mini has resolved many of the problems I was facing with other computers, so I have no worries right now. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 21:11      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: I'm now officially 95% moved in. Dad and I packed up the van and moved my bed, dresser, comptuer tower, bike, and Big Blue Box o' Stuff over to the other side of the state today. While we were there we fixed the broken switch in the celing fan, fixed the broken socket adapter in the light in the closet (my fault), built a shelf for my closet, and did some misc. organizing.

Wednesday is the big day, the cable guy is coming so I will be spending my first full day (and night) over there. This last trip will entail me taking my: stereo and speakers (all 7 sets of them), all hanging clothes, computer keyboard (the mouse, tower, and monitor are already there), Linksys WRT54G router, iBook, computer chair, and the two bags of groceries mom is prepping for me. And any miscellaneous bits and bobs that pop up before then, of course. I'll have lots of unpacking and hooking up to keep me occupied while I wait for the broadband to get there.

I'm so excited...... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2005 08:57      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update 2:
Reporting from the WCC Computer Commons:

I've officialy spent 2 nigts in my new place. I've gotten used to the traffic noise and all, and being on the second floor, I can leave my windows open at night to let some air flow through.

The Cable Guy hasn't come yet so I called Comcast. He'll be there Friday between 8 and 10 AM. I biked my way to and from campus last night and I found out that this city is sidewalk-challenged. There's bits and pieces of sidewalk, but not for any great lengths, and few of the curbs have ramps, which is important on a bike. Maybe I need to find an alternate route, but amidst the traffic, and having to ride on the road, I made it in about 30 minutes. I'm going to try to leave for class 45 minutes early and bike my way here at least once a day. I don't know if I could do it both times.

So, here I am, wasting my time instead of looking for a job. I should really be going....

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2005 09:14      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the new apartment. My apartment was decorated in early American handme down too. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2005 10:33      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
w00t, I'm actually surfing the web from my apartment. Turns out there's lots of..uhm... "providers" in the area. There's "linksys" and "Apple Network" and one called "amplify," but they require a WEP password. [Razz]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2005 11:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, umm...I didn't want to suggest that, but I figured it would surely work. [Wink] I know of one or two less ethical people who have cancelled their broadband connections for such reasons...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2005 11:46      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
w00t, I'm actually surfing the web from my apartment. Turns out there's lots of..uhm... "providers" in the area. There's "linksys" and "Apple Network" and one called "amplify," but they require a WEP password. [Razz]

I've got the same thing in my new apartment. Until Comcast makes my cable fscking work, I feel obligated to borrow.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2005 15:00      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So much more fun to come! [Razz]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2005 17:39      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, I can see it now. The GC Michigan mini mOOt! Everybody meet
A MMKK's place, though some of us may have to stay out in the hall!
Congrats on the new digs!

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2005 18:00      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell you what,

I'll stand in my hallway and be there in spirit - no offense to MMKK but the US is a long way for me to go IYKWIM

[Frown]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2005 18:05      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Tell you what,

I'll stand in my hallway and be there in spirit - no offense to MMKK but the US is a long way for me to go IYKWIM

[Frown]

Know the feeling, Serenak. I'll be there in spirit, too.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 25, 2005 19:21      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats MMKK!
<envious>I never had my own place. I moved from my parent's into an aparment with my girlfriend, who became my wife, into another aparement, and another and into the house we've spent the last 19 years in.
</envious>

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 17:30      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cable is now ON... I repeat.. the cable is now ON! And it only took me 45 minutes on the phone with Comcast to get it working... that's not bad for Comcast....

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Mercy
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4303

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2005 08:57      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! It may be tiny, but I'm sure it'll be just fine. ^_^

I'm living with my boyfriend and I've never had my own place before. So I shall also be envious.

--------------------
I am teh cat girl, rawr~
Maybe this world is another planets hell - Aldous Huxley

Posts: 17 | From: The Great Canadian Boonies | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture