homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Just curious about gas? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Just curious about gas?
atayarani
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4268

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 09:27      Profile for atayarani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pay $2.20 a gallon, which isn't too bad considering the rest of the country and even more so the world. However, given my 60 mile roundtrip commute each day and my aging car, that works out to be $80/week in gas.
Posts: 33 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 09:39      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
We're looking at ~$2.36 per gallon of 87 octane, and that is extremely high for this area. Diesel is damn near $3.30 a gallon though, and that's some bullshit.

No kidding, considering diesel is one of the by-products of manufacturing regular 87 octane gas.
As long as there weren't much diesel engines, petrol companies didn't bother. But did you noticed that the price of diesel went up when VolksWagen introduced the TDI engine and got a hit? Coincidence? I think not. (Comment valid for Canada/Nort America, I have no idea about relative prices in Europe - or anywhere else.)

Anyway, even at that price, my Smart is going to cost me less than CDN$30 to fill up (20 litre tank) for almost 400km (rated at 4.2 litres/100km, expected real consumption at 5-5.5 l/100km). [Big Grin] </proud future owner> [hearts]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 12:00      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its about $2.30 here, which is f-ing rediculous. PS here is davis county, utah.
Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jatemack
Newbie Larva
Member # 4262

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 13:44      Profile for jatemack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Diesel is damn near $3.30 a gallon though, and that's some bullshit.

LOL, to funny Too Cool.

I'd have to agree with you though. I was under the impression that diesel is the cheapest Gas to produce. Has that changed? What's the deal..

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 15:24      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just one question,

Does Canada use US gallons (8x16floz) or Imperial (UK) gallons (8x20floz)

Just wondering if that accounted for any discrepancy in pricing (of course TAX is a major factor).

Here in the UK something like 75% (IIRC) of the price at the pump is the Treasury bleeding us white... (what was that thing about no taxation without representation again???) [Frown]

Oh yes Diesel is now about 0.96UKP per litre, you can work out the rest for yourselves...

[Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 12, 2005 15:41      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before the Great Metric Conversion, we used the mighty Imperial gallon, not the wimpy US gallon. [Razz]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 15:49      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now you've really got me.

Surely by going metric you should have been cursed^h^h^h^h (ahem) 'blessed' by the gift of the mighty litre (which of course helps make prices look smaller 'cause it is 1/5th the size of a "proper" gallon)

Why on earth would metrification take you from UK gallons to US gallons? That truely makes no sense at all to me...
[Confused]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 16:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Now you've really got me.

Surely by going metric you should have been cursed^h^h^h^h (ahem) 'blessed' by the gift of the mighty litre (which of course helps make prices look smaller 'cause it is 1/5th the size of a "proper" gallon)

Why on earth would metrification take you from UK gallons to US gallons? That truely makes no sense at all to me...
[Confused]

Serenak: You're confusing me now. If I read Snaggy's post correctly, he's suggesting that Canada used the same "gallon" measure as England did. Then, Canada went to the metric system, and uses the litre. One litre is one litre is one litre. (See, I even spelled it correctly. [Wink] ) I fail to see how it has anything to do with any one nation's measures once it's Metric.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 16:18      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We're looking at ~$2.36 per gallon of 87 octane, and that is extremely high for this area. Diesel is damn near $3.30 a gallon though, and that's some bullshit.

Well that's a little screwed up normally diesel is a lot cheaper than regular 87 octane petrol

Here's a little tip I'll tell you folks. But you didn't hear it from me. If you have home heating oil delivered to your home and you drive a diesel burning automobile, just get a hand pump, and pump that home oil straight into your vehicle. It's exactly the same product, the only difference is one has road taxes and the other doesn't. Lots of farmers do this. The only exception is if your area marks that fuel with a dye, then I'd suggest not doing it. They have a special litmus like paper that they can test your exhaust to reveal if you're driving with marked gas.

Again, you didn't hear this from me, so if you get caught siphoning your own fuel, you didn't hear it from TiW... [Smile]

Cheers
-TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 16:43      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I paid $2.45 per gallon for 87 octane today at a Meijers (Like
sprawl mart with groceries and less trailer park influence)
This was the cheapest I saw today. Most were anywhere between
$2.52 and $2.59 for the 87. btw todays $2.45 is the most I've ever
paid. 75 cents being the least somewhere around 1998. When I started
driving in '81 I was paying $1.27 for a gallon of leaded (but some
of you kids probably don't remember that [Razz] )

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 18:17      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember paying $.87 just about four or five years ago. [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2005 05:12      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 years ago or so I used to pay under a $1.00 for 87. I miss those days so much. I do not even want to drive anywhere anymore because it is so expensive.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2005 10:08      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dragonman,

you are correct (as usual) I reread Snaggy's post and in light of your comment realised it meant something different to what I initially read into it (my stupid caused by reading the post to quickly and replying before leaving work). [ohwell]

--------------------

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2005 22:43            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Titanium Warrior:
Here's a little tip I'll tell you folks. But you didn't hear it from me. If you have home heating oil delivered to your home and you drive a diesel burning automobile, just get a hand pump, and pump that home oil straight into your vehicle. It's exactly the same product, the only difference is one has road taxes and the other doesn't. Lots of farmers do this. The only exception is if your area marks that fuel with a dye, then I'd suggest not doing it. They have a special litmus like paper that they can test your exhaust to reveal if you're driving with marked gas.

I was skeptical about this, so I called up the advice of the Car Talk guys. Sure enough, it's true, there's nothing really different between diesel fuel and home heating oil. But they pointed out that, by doing this, you're breaking the law and effectively stealing from everyone who DOES pay the fuel taxes...and, if you get caught, the fines for tax evasion could wipe out all the money you saved in this scheme and more.

So forget the heating oil, just pump regular diesel fuel into your diesel car. Also, don't do drugs, and stay in school.

IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2005 06:47      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I convert to gallons, I use US gallons (3.78L), not real gallons.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2005 08:47      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, because I'm too lazy to read all the previous posts, but w.r.t. diesel, you can make your own biodiesel fuel. There's a pretty detailed article in the latest MAKE Magazine.

And while we're comparing prices, I paid $2.74/gallon for gas on Saturday.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted August 19, 2005 11:06      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Americans have gotten too "comfortable" with low gasoline prices.

Have you noticed how people want lower gas prices, not conservation?

Would America make a "real" effort to use energy wisely if gas still cost $1.50 per gallon?

No, I don't think I paid too much at $2.69/gal, but I may not completely agree with how the money gets split either.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 14:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and when gas prices go up, what happens?

"Employee discount" prices on car to significantly reduce the price of things like SUVs. I think the $3 gallon is going to further curtail the spread of SUVs, or I really hope it will...

Great little cars like Stereo's up and coming Smart car will not take off here unless people aren't afraid of imminent death by an 'I own the road' SUV driver. Also, I understand there are major issues that require some form of retrofit here, to meet some different kind of regulation (I really know little about this - can anyone fill me in?). One station not far from me is now charging $2.99/gal...it's pretty close. I paid $2.65/gal. the night before last...that was a pain - and my car isn't exactly a slouch in the mileage dept.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 14:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Great little cars like Stereo's up and coming Smart car will not take off here unless people aren't afraid of imminent death by an 'I own the road' SUV driver.

We were whining about fuel prices yesterday at work, and a workmate who owns a FBL (Fscking Big Landrover) got the prize. He uses 25 litres per 100 km (it's rated at 18/100, but that's "open road" and he drives mostly in the city) which works out at about 9 miles to the US gallon. At $1.28 a litre, he's paying $0.32 cents a km for petrol.

On top of that, his FBL won't fit in the normal spaces in the carpark next to work so he's had to pay 40% above the normal amount to reserve one of the extra-large spaces.

Then there's the tyres, spare parts, etc, all of which are way more expensive than normal cars.

When asked why he bothers, he told some lame story about his once a year fishing trips in the outback, but there are lots of other more sensible cars that would be capable of those.

So, why does he do it?

Well, he's quite a small bloke, so perhaps this article provides an explanation.

[edit] Someone must have seriousy challenged this guys manhood.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 15:53      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

So, why does he do it?

Well, he's quite a small bloke, so perhaps this article provides an explanation.

[edit] Someone must have seriousy challenged this guys manhood.

I figure if a guy's going to drive one of those massive H2 Hummers, he might as well slap a bumper sticker on the back that says, "I Have a Small Penis." [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 16:22      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheapest around here is $2.40/gallon. Pathetic next to what everyone else in the world pays, but more than I like to pay. My budget is rather tight. If I have to choose between good, nourishing food and gas, I take the food.
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 16:52      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By "Land Rover" do you really mean a *real* Land Rover or are we talking generically here? Because my father had a full blown "once drove across the whole Indian subcontinent" safari Land Rover for many years when I was a lad, and although it was a tad bigger than your average family saloon car it certainly was not any bigger than say a Ford Galaxy or similar, and the only problem I can ever remember him having with it was a ferry company complaining about the height (it had a full safari, over bonnet, baggage rack and a lifting roof for bunkage).

To be honest I would think most "average" Aus "Utes"are as big or bigger than that was...

I have certainly seen several 4WD "offroad" SUV type vehicles round here lately that would make that Land Rover look positively scrawny (what exactly does SUV mean anyway? Sports Utility Vehicle?) even though that was a *real* expedition vehicle and most of the ones I've seen lately probably wouldn't manage anything more "offroad" than a simple farm driveway!

[Wink]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 17:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
By "Land Rover" do you really mean a *real* Land Rover or are we talking generically here? Because my father had a full blown "once drove across the whole Indian subcontinent" safari Land Rover for many years when I was a lad, and although it was a tad bigger than your average family saloon car it certainly was not any bigger than say a Ford Galaxy or similar, and the only problem I can ever remember him having with it was a ferry company complaining about the height (it had a full safari, over bonnet, baggage rack and a lifting roof for bunkage).

An actual Land Rover, but during a quick look at their web site, I couldn't spot any of the current models that look like it, so I'm not sure what model it is.

To be honest I would think most "average" Aus "Utes"are as big or bigger than that was...

This beastie's quite a bit bigger than most of the land rovers you see on the streets here in oz.

I have certainly seen several 4WD "offroad" SUV type vehicles round here lately that would make that Land Rover look positively scrawny (what exactly does SUV mean anyway? Sports Utility Vehicle?) even though that was a *real* expedition vehicle and most of the ones I've seen lately probably wouldn't manage anything more "offroad" than a simple farm driveway!
[Wink]

I had to laugh when I saw the porsche 4wd can you imagine anyone taking one of these on a wilderness trek? [crazy]

btw - I'm not having a go at all 4WDs, just the ones that are so big they draw other cars into their gravitational field. Clan MacDruid are the proud owners of a Subaru Outback. It looks like a normal family station wagon, has better fuel economy than many, and the 4WD means it handles very well on wet or icy roads.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted August 19, 2005 21:31      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$2.99 for regular. [Eek!]

Well thats in Chicago for one US gallon. It might be cheaper in the suburbs.

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 22:20      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I got this one a few months ago (when it wasn't that bad!) at a place near me...
 -

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture