homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Wendy's to sell up to 18% of Tim Hortons in IPO

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wendy's to sell up to 18% of Tim Hortons in IPO
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 29, 2005 17:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CBC News
Wendy's International Inc. plans to spin off 15 to 18 per cent of its popular Tim Hortons coffee and doughnut chain in an initial public offering, the company said Friday.

Wendy's hopes to complete the IPO by the end of the first quarter of 2006 and will hang on to the remaining stake in Tim Hortons.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2005/07/29/timhortons-050729.html

:coffee drinking gremlin is needed:

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2005 11:51      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's been rumours of this swirling around for months. There had been some talk of spinning it out as an income trust, but we'll have to see where that leads - it might still happen.

I'll hold off buying the shares until a couple of quarters have passed. The IPO will probably command a huge premium. It will be a while after the institutional investors take their "first quarter" profits and the stock will start to float a bit more.

The one thing about the IPO that bothers me is the relatively small % that Wendy's is putting up. It means that Tim Horton's will remain purely under Wendy's control - something that may impact the valuation of the Tim Horton's shares.

(I've got shares in Wendy's - and I'm hoping that they'll jump nicely when the Tim Horton's offering hits the street).

Of course, I wouldn't mind at all if dividends paid for my morning coffee-and-donut...

Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2005 13:00      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Tim Horton's a Canada-only chain? I haven't seen one in the midwest US.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2005 13:10      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know they're somewhere in the US. I got to have my first Timbits when I went to visit my dad in Michigan.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2005 14:14      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim Hortons Store Locator [Wink]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2005 17:29      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in S.E. Michigan they've taken over with both stand alone
locations and grafted onto existing Wendys stores. Cool for
me. Anytime crossing to Sarnia or Windsor I could always come
up with an excuse to swing by one [Smile]

Morning ritual: Awake at 5:30, leave flat at 6:30, stop at TH on
Groesbeck at 15 mile 6:40, arive work 7:00, brush crumbs out
of truck...

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2005 17:38      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timmies was started in Timmins, ON I believe. The heir to the company sold her stake to Wendy's in 1995 (I think). It used to be a Canada only thing, but has slowly become an American thing too.. > 100 locations in the US and growing.

It's somewhat of a cult up here.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 30, 2005 19:21      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly enough, Krispy Kreme attempted to invade Canada in the last year or so.

They've been closing locations lately - I've seen the donuts in boxes in Sprawl-Mart, but that's about it.

Tim Hortons taken a very cautious approach to expanding in the US - probably wise.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 16:05      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Groggle:
Oddly enough, Krispy Kreme attempted to invade Canada in the last year or so.

They've been closing locations lately - I've seen the donuts in boxes in Sprawl-Mart, but that's about it.

Tim Hortons taken a very cautious approach to expanding in the US - probably wise.

Te first Krispy Kreme in Canada is on Mavis Dr. in Mississauga. Went there once, it was fun. As far as I know, it's still in business.

The second Krispy Kreme in Canada was in Kitchener within walking distance of my old house where I lived when it opened. You couldn't get near the place for the first little while, but after a few months, nobody went there at all anymore, and it ended up closing up and getting replaced with a fast food joint I believe.

Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 18:56      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Calgary, they (Krispy Kreme) opened two (or was it three?) locations. One has cut its hours way back, the other I believe has closed.

Meanwhile, Tim Horton's franchises are more persistent than the dandelions in my lawn!

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 20:20      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the occasional donut {and I do mean occasional) and I've known more than a few Canadians who say that the Tim Horton's are the best. I've never had one myself, so I don't know what I'm missing.

But Krispy Kreme? YUK! I had one. ONE. One time.
I don't get it. Not my brand, I guess.

Maybe someone could suggest to the movers and shakers at Tim Horton's or Wendy's or both that they take over the Krispy Kreme's in the USA.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 21:53      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish that article said whether Tim Hortons will be trading on U.S. exchanges, or strictly on Canadian ones.

I still think that, if they opened up a Tim Hortons in the Denver metro area, it would do good business. There's enough hockey fans around here that would recognize the name, and not a few Canadians that might be homesick.

As for doughnuts, Pamela and I do like a Krispy Kreme or six now and then. (And you can buy KKs at some local grocery stores; we bought a few from the Super Target in Aurora last time we had 'em.) There's another chain here in town called LaMar's Doughnuts that also makes good doughnuts, perhaps even better than KKs.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2005 07:11      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
I wish that article said whether Tim Hortons will be trading on U.S. exchanges, or strictly on Canadian ones.

I still think that, if they opened up a Tim Hortons in the Denver metro area, it would do good business. There's enough hockey fans around here that would recognize the name, and not a few Canadians that might be homesick.

As for doughnuts, Pamela and I do like a Krispy Kreme or six now and then. (And you can buy KKs at some local grocery stores; we bought a few from the Super Target in Aurora last time we had 'em.) There's another chain here in town called LaMar's Doughnuts that also makes good doughnuts, perhaps even better than KKs.

It will be only trading on the TSX AFAIK.
blackchaos
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4236

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2005 08:35      Profile for blackchaos   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
abbreviated bio:
Though it would be impossible to prove, the case could be made that Tim Horton was the strongest man ever to lace up skates in the National Hockey League.
In 1958-59, Horton was paired on the blue line with Allan Stanley. With Bobby Baun and Carl Brewer also starring on defense, the Leafs had a core of skilled, rugged and reliable defensemen. And the defense was the foundation of a Toronto team that won the Stanley Cup in 1962, 1963 and 1964, with Horton earning a spot on the Second All-Star Team in 1963 and First Team honours in 1964.
Horton was tempted to retire in 1969 because of the success of his business off the ice, a chain of donut shops bearing his name, and of Punch Imlach's dismissal as coach of the club.
Early in the morning of February 21, 1974, Tim Horton was killed in a single-car crash while driving home to Buffalo after a game in Toronto against his old team. Police who chased the sports car reported that it was traveling over 100 miles per hour before it crashed just outside of St. Catharines, Ontario. Toronto won the game that night, but Horton, even though he missed the third period with a jaw injury, was selected as the game's third star for his standout play. He left behind a wife and four daughters. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1977. Today there are Tim Horton donut shops all across Canada.

Posts: 1 | From: Etobicoke, ON | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2005 10:03      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the store locator! Now I know Q.E.D. that there are no Tim Hortons in my area. In fact, not even in my 5-state area.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2005 14:21      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks for the store locator! Now I know Q.E.D. that there are no Tim Hortons in my area. In fact, not even in my 5-state area.
Have never seen any here or in the north of the US but I am looking forward to them since from what I am hearing...they are tastier than KK. (I only have the glaze donuts from there because I donít like anything else they make)
[Razz]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture