homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » More explosions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More explosions
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 07:08      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are talking about the new explosions in London on the BBC.

"We have not journeyed across the centuries, across the oceans, ...because we are made of sugar candy."-- Churchill 1941

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 08:31      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems fairly unimportant to me. It's as if someone's proving how easy it is to do, to ridicule the security.

No one has been reported hurt, so far, have they?

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 08:50      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard one injury on Channel 4, between the cricket coverage. And they are looking for a tall man in a blue top with a hole in the back, possibly with wires hanging out of it.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 08:56      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One person has been reported injured, from what I have read. Sounds like the bombs did not explode properly or were not very powerful. At least this time there are live suspects to catch.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 09:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best regards to our English readers - sounds like a nonevent, though. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9209 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 09:36      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno... I can't call 4 attempted bombings a "non-event," D'Man.

I call it lucky that no one was seriously injured or killed.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 12:16      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G_g, I think I know what Dman means and to a large extent I tend to agree. Just as well it was such a (comparative) non-event -- one particularly chilling rumour I heard was that these were actually nail bombs...

In other news, the train was finally lifted from the Edgeware Road station last night but as far as I know the wreckage is still in situ on the Piccadilly line at Russell Square.

Most amusing remark I spotted was apparently from a witness: ""The man who was holding the rucksack looked extremely dismayed"... Well, you would, wouldn't you? Wonder if anyone caught his expression on a phone-cam...

Pragmatically, I've had to change my route again (the Charing Cross leg of the Northern line was still closed this evening, apparently) -- so, to tune up my increasing knowledge of the London Underground, I think it's time I go and brush up on the rules of Mornington Crescent:

http://www.dunx.org/mc/

http://www.amazonsystems.co.uk/data/morn.htm

http://www.mornington-crescent-rule.fsnet.co.uk/mornington-crescent-rules.htm

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 12:34      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I think I'm experiencing is that I don't want to consider this a non-event. I don't ever want to get so habituated to this sort of thing that it is barely registered in my consciousness. I watched the World Trade Center fall. As much as that and the train bombings are traumatic events, I don't want to stop feeling that these are horrible, horrible things that people are doing. I don't want them to become normal, and for it to be a non-event, that implies normalcy, in some small way.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 12:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
I dunno... I can't call 4 attempted bombings a "non-event," D'Man.

I call it lucky that no one was seriously injured or killed.

Grey_girl: I realized as soon as I said it that it might be taken the wrong way, but I couldn't think of anoter way to put it. I certainly mean no disrespect to anyone over there, to say that it "doesn't matter." However, I guess I'm just extremely glad that no major damage was done, and only one person was injured in this debacle. Remember the first bombing of WTC? This pales by comparison, and that did not do 'significant damage' to the building (nowhere near 9/11, at any rate), though it had a rather high injury rate.

I understand your point of having no wish to get accustomed to attacks against *anyone*, but as I've said before, and I'll say again - I will not live in constant fear because of these terrorists, and so I'm not going to flip out by this particular event. If the people of the area are handling it calmly, then I certainly will. [Smile] I really hope that these acts will be brought to an end, and please [insert deity here], without full body X-ray scanners being placed at all the Tube entry points...

*sigh* It's a sad state of affairs. :-/

On a tangentially related note, I'm reminded of this, w.r.t. the spyware wars:
quote:

Secondly, Microsoft's biggest mistake here was in buying/launching an
anti-spyware product at all, thereby legitimising a whole
area/industry/arms-race that only exists because of their own sloth and
idiocy.

Source:
Date: Jul 19, 2005 4:55 AM
Subject: Re: MEDIA, MISC: Microsoft and Claria -- Going Soft on Malware

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9209 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 13:18      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But this kind of event *is* "normal"! It's the everyday reality for many, many people across the planet. Yes, it's horrible but one cannot remain shocked and outraged indefinitely, there comes a point where we have to start getting on with our everyday lives. That doesn't mean one has to become hardened to it or alienated by it. I think that the answers, if there are any, lie in changes in people's attitudes -- *our* attitudes, all of us -- and that takes time, lots of time... The old cliche of the butterfly flapping its wings in China causing a hurricane on the other side of the world comes to mind, albeit incoherently. Sorry, I'm not making much sense, I'm tired and I need to eat -- and think this through a little more...

Now, where did I leave my asbestos pants?...

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 16:14      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey-U might not have been as coherent as he wanted to be but I think I can say I have agreed with the gist of what I thank he meant.

Here in the UK those of us of a "certain age'' are innured to IRA bombings,etc.

9/11 is to me our generation's version of the JFK shooting...

If you saw it you will never forget it and our children will never understand why we always refer to it as the day the world changed until they experience whatever horrible event has the same impact on their lives as that did on ours.

This appears to be a fairly low level "copy cat" event though current news now claims one dead...

Without more info I can't really comment but I suspect the real point of this was simply to make the security services and all their recent proclamations look stupid.

2 weeks on and we still can't stop these people?

Too right. How do you stop a fanatic suicide "type" bomber...?

[Confused]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1922 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 17:18      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cynic in me is thinking that these terror attacks will continue until you Brits show some sign of being, you know, terrified.
Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 18:05      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
The cynic in me is thinking that these terror attacks will continue until you Brits show some sign of being, you know, terrified.

I must admit, it was interesting to hear Blair and Howard talk about things last night. The interesting point that one/both was making was that the terrorist attacks were happening well before "we" went into Iraq. I would imagine that the terrorists are trying to scare the coalition out of Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. Unfortunately, (for them), whenever anything like this happens, the politician's resolve to keep going in those countries gets stronger. I see no way forward in this, it's just going to keep escalating.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 18:44      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
csk is of course correct because Xanth, us Brits will never be "terrified" - at least not by this sort of "piddling" terrorism - we've seen it all before as I am sure Hey-U and others will corroborate...

IRA, ETA, Bader Meinhoff, Black September. etc., etc.,

We're well accustomed to this stuff - no matter how wrong it may be - not that plenty of others aren't either.

Every death hurts us all, just as deaths in Israel, Iraq, Congo, Eriatrea, Sudan, etc. diminish us all as human beings.

But somehow (and no political rhetoric here) does it *really* impact you and yours or me and mine - NO!

We feel the loss but carry on regardless....

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1922 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 19:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, well, I didn't think the terrorist's tactics were going to work that well on Britain. Especially in a city like London, which, to paraphrase a quote from somewhere, has been blown up by a better class of bastards than this.
Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 19:45      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The IRA's tactics never seemed to work but they keep at it. There's never an end to people who can't get along in polite society.
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2005 02:17      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we were just lucky this time, because the bombs were not made properly. Otherwise this would have been just as bad as the last lot. One may like to pretend that this has no effect, but obviously it does. However we must just carry on as we have no alternative.

But it is vile.

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2005 11:44      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was seeing security video shots of these terrorists this morning, and one was wearing a New York baseball jersey (which apparently was abandoned and recovered by police later). Does it strike anyone else as particularly sick for a terrorist to be wearing that? It doesn't seem like he would have picked out that shirt by accident.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2005 12:22      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak: Good point(s) well made matey
Xanth: U funny girl! First time I've smiled in ages: "Better class of bastard", indeed! Arf!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2005 21:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm...this reminds me of sorryeverybuddy.com:
[site with somewhat rude language, incl. link [Razz] [Smile]

Meanwhile, I revisited the former site - this picture is still burned in my brain:
http://www.sorryeverybody.com/gallery/single/se6.jpg/

This one may occupy a bit of real estate there as well:
[from that site again]

I would have left the links as is, but I know there's an interest to keep these boards moderately clean. *snickers* Kids, stay away from the less kind links if you shouldn't be reading four letter words and stuff.

Thanks to b3ta for the new site's link.

--------------------

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2005 05:42      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellente dman! [Big Grin] Me, I'm not worried about a &$%@#* thing. I just bought a three-pack of new underwear.
Posts: 5830 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2005 13:11      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couple of interesting articles:

http://www.asharqalawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=2&id=950

("When London, Beirut and Sharm el-Sheikh are all attacked in less than 48 hours, there is no more Muslim or Christian or Jew. There is no more believer or infidel. There is no more East or West. When the dead in Sharm el-Sheikh included Britons, Dutch, Egyptians, French, Kuwaitis, Spaniards, and Qataris, it is all we and we are all in this together.")

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4714485.stm

("In his weekly opinion column, Brian Walden considers the impact the London bombings could have on British society.")

...oh, and there's a documentary on the BBC right now which seems to be gearing up to saying that the Intermaweb is to blame because anybody can set up a website about anything at all, including people whose views we might disagree with...

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.