homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Goodbye Scotty.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Goodbye Scotty.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted July 20, 2005 09:27      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James Doohan has died...

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/20/obit.doohan.ap/

[weep] [weep]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted July 20, 2005 09:36      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read about this too. He was pretty bad off in his last days. Sure will miss him. [weep]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2005 09:49      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea he was 85. Wow. Sounds like he had alzheimer's as well. Poor guy. An unforgettable accent.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

kydruid
Newbie Larva
Member # 1928

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2005 10:18      Profile for kydruid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wonder if he proclaimed as he was sent down from the heavens that it'd take 255 years to live a full life, since he was always famous for tripling his time estimations as an engineer. [Big Grin]

Goodbye Mr. Doohan your talent will be missed.

Posts: 7 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 20, 2005 10:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FW:... The Milwaukee School Of Engineering awarded James Doohan an honorary degree.

Why? Because, on the application question "What made you decide to pursue a career in engineering", the majority of the applicants put "Scotty from Star Trek". [Happytears]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2005 13:00      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met him at a convention. He was a really nice guy. The lady sitting next to me at the panel discussion was so disappointed when he didn't speak in the Scots accent. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2005 16:19      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's going to have his remains launched into space. [Cool] [thumbsup]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted July 20, 2005 16:55      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another article.... didn't know he had been shot 6 times during the storming of Juno Beach where one of the shots took his middle right finger.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1121874454547_19/?hub=TopStories

Sad to see him gone. He'll be missed. A hero in entertainment and a hero in war.

-TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2005 16:57      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I presume a JOT in his honor is forthcoming?

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
gabefung
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4210

Icon 9 posted July 20, 2005 23:59      Profile for gabefung     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

So Long, our favourite Star Trek Engineer... [Frown]

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 03:32      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well so long then...

I guess you were finally right,
The engines just "couldnae tekkit eny more"
Time for you to cross the final frontier.

I raise my glass of finest malt in your memory. [weep]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted July 21, 2005 07:14      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are small ships
and there are tall ships
but the best ships are
friendships.

tridishional Scottish toast

So long Mr Doohan [weep]

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 10:23            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the captain and crew of USS Gabriel pay tribute to Doohan's passing here.
IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 15:55      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very apt Erbo

But his legacy will live on as long as he is remembered..

What more can any of us ask for really?

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jade Dragon
Geek Apprentice
Member # 1172

Icon 3 posted July 21, 2005 20:24      Profile for Jade Dragon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will truly miss him... [Happytears]

I first met James Doohan in 1992 at the Toronto Trek convention, where he was one of the guests of honour. During the final Q&A part of his panel/presentation, myself and another Klingon female acquaintance of mine approached him (in full costume, complete with Klingon cleavage, one on each side of him), with an offer of Klingon consortship. As a multitude of camera flashes were catching the moment, somebody in the back of the audience yelled out "Jeez, Kirk never got two!" and the audience totally lost it, as did James Doohan. (Especially considering his dislike of Shatner...) Therefore he had no problem agreeing to consortship and his Klingon name became "K'Scotty of the House of Kasara" (http://www.housekasara.org)

Later on, we spent quite a while in the hotel bar, where he bought me my very first "Beam Me Up Scotty" drink. We discussed a multitude of things we had in common, as we had both worked in radio and theatre and I had so many friends in the Canadian Armed Forces and Reserves, and my boyfriend at the time worked on military aircraft.

There is a story that not many know about how James got a serious reprimand during his time in the CAF for flying his jet slalom-style through a series of telephone poles. Yes, he was that good, and that crazy! For the remainder of the war, he became a pilot observer and earned the dubious distinction of the "craziest pilot in the CAF". It was a few hours that I will never forget...

I met him again at DragonCon in Atlanta in 2001. By then, his health had greatly declined and he was in an electric scooter -- as was I, due to an old knee injury. The lady who rented me my scooter for the con had joked that the only matching scooter to mine was his; and only 5 minutes we came across him in the hallways by recognizing the back of his red scoooter. He was friendly, but it was fairly obvious that he would have difficulty following entire conversations, and when I got his autograph later during the con, it took him quite a while to write it all out.

At the time, my mate and I had discussed how much his health had declined and that we hoped he still had many years left in him. As it was, he had become a father once again, the year before at the age of 80 years.

His family has decided to honour one of his last wishes, and a portion of his cremated remains will be blasted into space in a tiny aluminum capsule, via a company called "Space Services Inc.". It was his wish to join his beloved friend, Gene Roddenberry, whose ashes had also been sent up when he passed away a few years ago.

I raise a mug of Bloodwine in your honour K'Scotty, and may you join the Black Fleet now that you have crossed over that Final Frontier...

Jade Dragon
AKA "Klingon Ambassador, Lady K'Zin Epetai Kasara"
of the Klingon Imperial Diplomatic Corps
http://www.klingon.org

Posts: 42 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2005 23:46      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only appropriate, I suppose, that he should pass from this Earth on the anniversary of the first manned lunar landing. James has made his "giant leap"...

His character really was an inspiration for us engineers and techies -- an attitude of "never give up" and "I will find a way to make this work!" Thanks for bringing Scotty to life, Mr. Doohan. [Happytears]

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2005 12:22            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Very apt Erbo

But his legacy will live on as long as he is remembered..

What more can any of us ask for really?

Indeed. No man ever truly dies as long as the people that remember him still live, and as long as all the good things he's done still remain. Scant comfort, perhaps, but comfort nonetheless.
IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture