homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Check out my new book!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Check out my new book!
TomtheMacMan
Geek Larva
Member # 2127

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2005 15:29      Profile for TomtheMacMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everybody! It's me! The guy who never posts anymore! [Wink]

Yeah, so, I just finished up my new book. If any of you are intrested in videos it should be pretty good for you. It's all about building your own camera Stabilizer (I was very cautious not to use the actual word "Steadicam" in my book... Let's just say I don't have a good enough lawyer...)

Yeah, so I hope you'll all check it out, and if you're into DV and have $12, look into buying it. The profits from it go to me not having to have my parents finance my short films. [Big Grin] (I'm a high school student)

Here it is:
http://www.cafepress.com/tomsstabilizer

I hope I'm not breaking any "NO ADVERTISING" rules or anything. It is my book after all. [Razz]

--------------------
-Tom

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2005 18:47      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I'm mainly a stills photography guy, but that's looking a lot like a tripod to me. When I hear "stabiliser" in connection with photography, I tend to think of the stabilisation technology built in to several cameras and lenses that counteracts hand held camera-shake. So, what's the difference between your thing and a tripod, and what advantages does your thing have over just buying a tripod? And is it adaptable to stills photography, since tripod heads at least tend to be different between the two.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TomtheMacMan
Geek Larva
Member # 2127

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2005 08:21      Profile for TomtheMacMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this is for video, and it's basically to allow you to use the camera for camera moves. Yes, it is built off of a modified tripod, but it's basically using a few low-friction joints to isolate the sled (what you call the modified tripod) from movement.

I'd like to refer you at this point to the Steadicam.
Steadicam.com

I hope that clairifies that for you. This and a tripod are in completely different realms, though my version of this is built off a Tripod.

For even more on this discussion, I invite you to come on over to HomeBuiltStabilizers.

I supremely doubt this would have ANY usefullness in the still photo world. Sorry. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Tom

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2005 13:38      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Volume 1 of O'Reilly's "Make" magazine has an article about an extremely low budget video camera stabilizer. It's much more primative than yours.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TomtheMacMan
Geek Larva
Member # 2127

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2005 18:56      Profile for TomtheMacMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. It's what brought me into the world of Stabilizers. [Smile]

--------------------
-Tom

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture