homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » London Underground Bombed (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: London Underground Bombed
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 12:12      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
I believe I recall spungo saying cheezi is out of the country.

Thanks Taco. I read Spungo's post a little too quickly - I recalled it as Spungo saying he was out of the country, not Cheezi.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 14:32      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
After reading this and related similar articles from a variety of papers, it makes me wonder what information makes an incident "right" or "wrong" 10 years later? If W had been President of the US in 1995, would this tragedy have happened?

Then Srebrenica and then Rwanda. Today Darfur. Plus ca change.... [Frown]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 09:28      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Alright, I've remained silent long enough.
The fault of the bombing lies on the shoulders of the bombers. period.

The bombers are sick, and that isn't an excuse. Anyone willing to intentionally kill massive amounts of innocent people is sick. That doesn't remove any guilt from them.

One can be perfectly sane and kill plenty of innocent people at the same time.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 11:26      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have attempted to stay out of this as much as possible but I have given in to much temptation; my apologies for what follows.

Xan: I dont mean to attack you alone but this is something common I see with a lot of civilians and politicians. Everyday there are people everywhere in this world trying to stop violent and terror acts upon those people that each has sworn to protect. In the process they just may have to make those hard decisions and just may have to protect their own life as well. Given it was a risk that they took upon them selves, it is still a risk nonetheless. I have a top-secret clearance and have access to countless records of terror attempts that have been prevented by countless organized forces of a military nature and though some do get through and we may never be able to stop them all, we try and stop a lot of them.

One example that I can release takes place in Al-Anbar providence in Iraq where a rifle squad of marines supplented by Iraqi Special Forces were patrolling and searching for IEDs (improvised explosive devices) in the desert to clear a path for a convoy that would follow the next day when they come to a stop on a bridge because of 3 IEDs and got charged by an Insurgent shooting from a hyjacked Ambulance. The Rifle Squad opened fire and ended up eliminating the direct threat. The Ambulance was packed with High-Explosives and 3 Civilians thought to be the Insurgent's family. All passengers of the Ambulance died and 2 Marines KIA. The ambulance was intended to be driven into Al-Asad Air Base, Al-Anbar, Iraq where it would have caused much destruction. The Rifle Squad were put under investigation and the CO was relieved of his command for the deaths of 2 Civilians.

Aditu: 1 Death is still a death count.

My apologies for this.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 11:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strangely enough Jace, that made me feel better...

No one ever announces that an attack was prevented, so people like me are only left with the anger and confusion that occurs when the attackers succeed.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 13:02      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I highly doubt that you will ever hear that an attack was prevented unless it was directly tageting the President or PM Blair
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 13:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jace: Thank you. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 14:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pet Peeve: Completely pointless knee-jerk reactions to well-publicised criminal acts.

There was an article in yesterdays news, the New York subway will be switching off the mobile phone access in their tunnels, as a response to reports that the London bombs (might have) used mobile phone triggers.

Will this prevent future bombings?
No, the bombers will either use some other trigger, or they'll bomb some above-ground (or not too far under ground) part of the system, or switch to bombing shopping centres instead.

This will serve only to inconvenience millions of ordinary commuters, and not add to anyones safety.

It reminds me of the post-Columbine hysteria, when schools banned long black coats, because that's what the Columbine nutters wore. Taking away those nutters coats would not have prevented anything.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 14:45      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cell transmitters in some of the NYC tunnels have been turned back on. Being able to call for help overweighed the need to block bomb detonation, thankfully.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted July 12, 2005 15:23      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sitting amongst ex-friends today (two are my friends still, and needless to say, NOT the ones i'm talking about) I overheard a horrible conversation.

"So, we're all going up to london on the weekend"
"Why?"
"Muslim-hunting. We're going to get them back. You want to come?"
"Might be busy... You could just go to Bournemouth or somewhere closer, then I might be able to go."
"Nah, it's all the f*cking london ones that did the bombings, innit. we've got to show them we won't f*cking take it."
"Yeah, maybe..."
"Well, we got a spare knife if you change your mind."

I yelled at them and walked away. it will do no good though, they're just going to follow what they think the media is telling them anyway. Any excuse, it seems.

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 17:36      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

No one ever announces that an attack was prevented, so people like me are only left with the anger and confusion that occurs when the attackers succeed.

CNN, ABC, NBC, et al... Even FOX want ratings... And "we stopped intresting deaths from happening, yea us" doesn't sell advertising as well as "many left dead, live at 6."

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 18:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Pet Peeve: Completely pointless knee-jerk reactions to well-publicised criminal acts.
[snip[
It reminds me of the post-Columbine hysteria, when schools banned long black coats, because that's what the Columbine nutters wore. Taking away those nutters coats would not have prevented anything.

In fact, I just realized something - take away the coats, and now you really don't know who the baddies are. [Wink] [Razz]

But seriously, that was so stupid - they were suspending kids from school for wearing them and sending them to counseling. Oh no - he (or she) is wearing black!!!! Shock! Horror!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 19:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
quote:

CNN, ABC, NBC, et al... Even FOX want ratings... And "we stopped intresting deaths from happening, yea us" doesn't sell advertising as well as "many left dead, live at 6."
I was thinking that same thing. I almost posted it, but was afraid that would tip me over the edge and send me straight to hell. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 21:35      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was thinking that same thing. I almost posted it, but was afraid that would tip me over the edge and send me straight to hell. [Razz] [/QB]

My all-time-favorite Daily Show moment is when Jon Stewart did that tie thing of his, then said, "Yeah, I'm going to hell for that", or words to that effect.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2005 02:42      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spoongirl:
Sitting amongst ex-friends today (two are my friends still, and needless to say, NOT the ones i'm talking about) I overheard a horrible conversation.

"So, we're all going up to london on the weekend"
"Why?"
"Muslim-hunting. We're going to get them back. You want to come?"
"Might be busy... You could just go to Bournemouth or somewhere closer, then I might be able to go."
"Nah, it's all the f*cking london ones that did the bombings, innit. we've got to show them we won't f*cking take it."
"Yeah, maybe..."
"Well, we got a spare knife if you change your mind."

I yelled at them and walked away. it will do no good though, they're just going to follow what they think the media is telling them anyway. Any excuse, it seems.

well that will be coming back to haunt them now that it has been discovered that the bombers were from arround Leeds and that 3 of them were British

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2005 05:33      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the justifications for the Iraq adventure used by the neocons, which I heard repeated by David Frumm after the London bombings, is that it will make the world a safer place, because terrorists don't come from democracies. We now know that all the London bombers were home grown, which tears rather a neat hole in that argument.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2005 05:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
One of the justifications for the Iraq adventure used by the neocons, which I heard repeated by David Frumm after the London bombings, is that it will make the world a safer place, because terrorists don't come from democracies. We now know that all the London bombers were home grown, which tears rather a neat hole in that argument.

Not to mention the Basques, the IRA, the Sarin gas attacks in Tokyo, the Bader-Meinhoff...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2005 07:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YO___________About a Month ago I and my wife were driving through one of the mean streets areas in Saginaw. We heard what could be firecrackers or gun shots, I'm not positiveas to the real source (personally I feel it was gun fire as it had a cadence to it and appeared to answer each other like maybe two shooters). I have been close to live fire aimed in my direction forty years ago, and I wanted out of the Van and to get down.
________The worst part of this saga is watching the reaction of the children, at the first sound you could tell that they were determining the direction of the noise and then they ran for the houses. How sensless that childrenn need to run for cover in one of our own cities.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2005 07:50      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back home I couldn't sleep on vacation sometimes because I would miss the sounds of gun fire and sirens. The world is getting bad but it is a reality that I believe everyone needs to know. I have met some people in the past that didn't know anything like that happened and were completly oblivious to everything of a criminal nature.

I have been put at gun point for something as simple as my shoes but becuase I grew up in a "sketchy" neighborhood and went to a highschool where riots, bomb threats and weapons were a regular thing I have grown to become accostomoed to this kind of thing and I think that I have become a better person. I have seen and lived the poor and desperate life. I have done and sold drugs. I have seen my best friend shot and killed in a drive by shooting by a gang rival to that of my home town but my mother and father were damn good parents and have raised me well. They have rasied me to have respect, know right from wrong and have a sence of priority in life.

That is why I plan to raise my kids in the better part of the same city i grew up in. I believe that we are made by the experiences in life that we have and the way we react to those experiences dictate who we are.

This world has become a horrible place but all you can do is prepare for it and attempt to make it as good as possible. It isn't going to get any better alone.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2005 08:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:

Not to mention the Basques, the IRA, the Sarin gas attacks in Tokyo, the Bader-Meinhoff...
Tim McVeigh, the DC snipers, the person who mailed the anthrax letters...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2005 13:26      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There was an article in yesterdays news, the New York subway will be switching off the mobile phone access in their tunnels, as a response to reports that the London bombs (might have) used mobile phone triggers.

Will this prevent future bombings?
No, the bombers will either use some other trigger, or they'll bomb some above-ground (or not too far under ground) part of the system, or switch to bombing shopping centres instead.

This will serve only to inconvenience millions of ordinary commuters, and not add to anyones safety.

I never read any articles regarding it because I thought they were turning them off because of the risk posed by drivers using cell-phones. In which case, it could add additional safety.

I never thought about them disabling use of cell phones on a railway tunnel because whenever I've ridden a train while on the phone (quitely), the call was dropped.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 15, 2005 22:04      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought this was cool. [Razz]

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/london.asp [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture