homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » London Underground Bombed (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: London Underground Bombed
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 14:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Terror bombing of innocent men, women, children of a random mix of Race, Religion and Nationality has only one intent and that is to cow people into submission through fear.

This tactic has been proven time and again to, in fact, be totally counter productive.

Sadly, no.
History has many examples of terrorist tactics being used successfully. The formation of Israel, for example, or the conquest of North America and Australia, the anti-colonial revolutions in Kenya and Zimbabwe...

To paraphrase Shakespeare
Terrorists never prosper
for if they prosper, none dare call them terrorists

Hitler deafeated no-one through his "Blitz" of London

But the terrorist bombings of Dresden and other German cities were quite effective.

"Uncle" Joe Stalin did not defeat his opponents despite sending something like 12 million of his own countrymen (and women) to their deaths at gulags, siberian saltmines, etc.

Stalin died of natural causes, as leader of a superpower, and received a state funeral. I think that's all the success he cared about.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 14:23      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speculation on a different front - I'd been wondering if something along this scale was going to be happening for a *long* time. Anyone else thinking Al Qaeda or others might be shifting to smaller, more frequent attacks to keep the fear levels high?
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 14:59      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
magefile: no offence, maybe i'm just getting older and time seems to be moving faster, but the madrid bombings were about 15 months ago and that doesn't seem such a very long time to me...
sorry... don't mean to seem snarky... just feeling a little, i dunno, out-of-sync tonight...
(insert frown icon here)

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted July 08, 2005 15:19      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I felt that a moment of silence on my part was appropriate mourning for tragedy.)

Part I

However, it's time to bash Cap'n Vic again, as it seems he finds the London bombing as a matter of "fair play." I'm going to avoid quoting others' post since it would only result in claims that words were taken out of context.

Anecdote:
quote:
Men can parrot descriptions of what a woman's experience is in conceiving, carrying for nine months, and giving birth to children. However, they cannot know the experience firsthand.
Cap'n Vic (apparently) cannot comprehend morality or ethical behavior. Worse yet, he can't even parrot descriptions of them because of his delusion that all mainstream sources of information (to include encyclopedias) are tools of the Bush administration to spread lies and propaganda.

1. Innocent People in Iraq Dying: You don't show any sense of outrage when Iraqis are killed by Muslim extremists using suicide bombs. No outrage when "insurgents" use mortars and bombs destroy equipment to provide Iraqis with electricity and water. Why? (I really don't want you to post anything in reply.)

2. "By any means necessary": No matter how many good, hardworking, peaceful people are murdered by terrorists, you're very understanding as to why they use these methods and attempt to instill fear in all people, which includes the Iraqis.

3. Demands of a Minority in Society: You can't comprehend majority rule. You don't mind that the "insurgents" want control of Iraq, and unless the citizens of Iraq comply with extremist demands, the murder of Iraqis by kidnapping and suicide bombs will continue. To put it another way, you expect the Iraqi people to submit to the demands of less than 1% of the population (some of which are foreigners), because this minority is willing to murder again and again without conscience. (Some facts for everybody else, Cap'n will ignore them) The Iraqi population is about 25 million, 1% of that is 250,000. To anyone capable of reason, the insurgents do not represent the common values of Iraqis.

4. "They're willing to die for their cause": You think lack of conscience is acceptable proof that a cause is just ... that's sick. You admitted they know that their actions make them more hated. What a great example of insanity, if a third party hates your enemy, prove to them that you can be equally loathsome and more deserving of retribution than your enemy. You don't bother to recognize that the ones that are willing to die in suicide attacks represent something like 0.05% of the population (just a wild guess). Ignoring the morals and ethical behavior of the remaining 99% of the population is another example of how you ignore everything that conflicts with your beliefs.

quote:
Cap'n Vic, you are still an idiot.
I said that well over a year ago, but it's time to say it again.

You should consider reformatting your .sig by bull3t's example ...
quote:
GC's Most Hateful and Vulgar. (!) (T) (!) (T) (!) (T) (!) (T) (!) (T) (!)
    (!) (T) (!) (T) (!) (T) (!) (T) (!) (T) (!) (T) (!) (T) (!) (T) (!) (T) (!)

If you added some obscenities, you could use "I've made up my mind, don't confuse me with facts" as a .sig.

You're fairly predictable; I'll wait to see if you go into posting hundreds of lines of "ascii moons" or similar garbage.

Part II - Little Things

1. Jesus says violence will destroy us: No, not that I'm aware of. How about "There's no need for anyone to sacrifice (kill) animals or human beings for favorable treatment in the afterlife, and try to be nice to each other."

2. Being sick is an excuse: I don't know when it started, but the concept that "people must take responsibility for their own actions" is being erased from society. It's a precursor to accepting anarchy as a natural human state.

3. Holding George Bush and his entire regime responsible for every death: Amazing, those suicide bombers didn't kill themselves, they were murdered by George Bush.... Go hold hands with Cap'n Vic.

4. Don't fsck around with other countries' internal affairs: Excellent, Rwanda and Sudan are no one's business except for those ruling the aforementioned countries. There's nothing to see ... please, everyone move along. You with the guitar, unplug that thing ... we'll have no trouble from you, now. (Sorry, that really didn't happen at Live8.)

5. Poor Saddam, he was no trouble at all: Not to be a troll or anything, but maybe someone should post an essay entitled "Saddam Hussein: Good for Iraq, Good for the United Nations, and Good for the World." (I might write it myself if someone turns this into an Iraq tread; you've been warned.)

Part III - What Motive Did They Have ?

Search for a post by Serenak on July 08, 2005, 06:00 ...
      read the first sentence.

If you'd be willing to give the Mafia anything for their "protection," it's perfectly sensible to give the people responsible for these attacks everything they want. They're criminals of the worst magnitude, do not treat them as anything else. Then again, maybe living like the people of Sudan isn't so bad.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 16:18      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok. You have again managed to confuse my with you random quote, acedotal post with multiple parts and bolded subheadings......but any-who, as you requested:

"Saddam Hussein: Good for Iraq, Good for the United Nations"Saddam Hussein: Good for Iraq, Good for the United Nations, and Good for the World."

Part I - Good for Iraq

Now we all know how ancient the infastructure is over there. Lets blow it up and replace it all with new, modern western style stuff. A Starbucks on every corner. I'd really like to watch "Debbie does Dallas part 55" while visiting New Baghdad but the Iraqis have some stupid electrical system that won't work with my DVD player....and God knows these people could use a good dose of money shots, they live such a shelter life.

The 'smart bombs' being dropped don't kill the innocent but actually selectively kill 'insurgents' and 'illegal combatants'.

Part II - Good for the United Nations, lets make that: Good for the United States.

Nothing good for the United nations because the US made them obsolete when they went into Iraq alone, therefore we will look at how great this is for the US instead.

War is good, it wins elections. It scares a population into allowing constitutional ammendments like the Patriot Act that take freedoms away they had no right having to begin with.

After everything is blown up in Iraq, the Administration will sole source massive contracts to campaign contibuting corportions
(the same ones that own NBC, ABC and CBS ironically) Jobs, Jobs Jobs!!! Everyone gets rich....or at least the people who are already rich get rich. The stupid and the poor get sent off into battle as they are really a burden on society anyways. Even if they die owing money on student loans it is worth it for the sake of democracy.

Part III - Good for the world

We all know how much safer the world is since the Iraq invasion. Who wouldn't love to visit a Bali night club, ride the subway in Spain or tour Lunnun on a double decker bus? Ahhh good times good times.

Only once all those brown skins are dead over there and the world is full of Jesus loving white people will the world be at peace. Except we still have to deal with, Iran, Syria, North Korean, China and a few other pesky countries.

Now, you're either with us, or you're agi' us.

-------------------------------------------------

Thank you, thank you. No, please you are too kind. I'll be here all week, try the veal and be sure to tip your waitress. Good night Cleveland!!!

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 17:30      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
magefile: no offence, maybe i'm just getting older and time seems to be moving faster, but the madrid bombings were about 15 months ago and that doesn't seem such a very long time to me...
sorry... don't mean to seem snarky... just feeling a little, i dunno, out-of-sync tonight...
(insert frown icon here)

Right ... but I thought the Madrid bombings were linked to Basque separatists or sth. like that? And even then, 15 months ... does it really take that long?

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 20:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
(insert frown icon here)

Right ... but I thought the Madrid bombings were linked to Basque separatists or sth. like that? And even then, 15 months ... does it really take that long?
The (then) Spanish government tried to make that link, because they were coming up for an election and didn't want the people to know it was actually a-Q.

Spanish government support for the the invasion of Iraq was not popular in Spain, and they didn't want a "now look at the mess you've gotten us into" event just before the election.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 09, 2005 06:27      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
History has many examples of terrorist tactics being used successfully. The formation of Israel, for example, or the conquest of North America and Australia, the anti-colonial revolutions in Kenya and Zimbabwe...

Hmmmm, maybe I see the reasons for your point of view. (But I could be wrong.)

Oddly enough, "Jewish Terrorist Tactics" don't seem to explain the state of Israel.
  • November 29, 1947: the United Nations General Assembly passed a resolution calling for the establishment of a Jewish State in Israel.
  • May 14, 1948: The Declaration of Independence of the State of Israel was publicly read in Tel Aviv.
Usually, terrorism is used to cause the collapse of an existing government. The United Nations is directly responsible for the establishment of Israel. For terrorism to be the UN's reason for submitting to the demands of "Jewish terrorists," they must have been destroying the interests of UN member states such as the US, Britain, Russia, and France. Can you explain how the UN was coerced? Or was the UN resolution on creating Israel some kind of deception?

TFD, from the form of your post, I assume that you're simply making a logical observation from an unbiased point of view, and the point is:
quote:
Because the world recognizes countries established by use of terrorism, the act of terrorism is a legitimate method of enacting political change.
Do you have a better wording for the significance of your post?

Another thing, could you clarify another one of your views:
quote:
The word terrorist is merely a propaganda tool; the term "freedom fighter" is equally valid for the same person, the only difference being the speaker's point of view.
Is the above a valid paraphrase, or do you have a better one?

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 09, 2005 10:09      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[weep]

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2005 13:16      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
quote:

Hmmmm, maybe I see the reasons for your point of view. (But I could be wrong.)

Oddly enough, "Jewish Terrorist Tactics" don't seem to explain the state of Israel.
  • November 29, 1947: the United Nations General Assembly passed a resolution calling for the establishment of a Jewish State in Israel.
  • May 14, 1948: The Declaration of Independence of the State of Israel was publicly read in Tel Aviv.
Usually, terrorism is used to cause the collapse of an existing government. The United Nations is directly responsible for the establishment of Israel. For terrorism to be the UN's reason for submitting to the demands of "Jewish terrorists," they must have been destroying the interests of UN member states such as the US, Britain, Russia, and France. Can you explain how the UN was coerced? Or was the UN resolution on creating Israel some kind of deception?

TFD, from the form of your post, I assume that you're simply making a logical observation from an unbiased point of view, and the point is:
quote:
Because the world recognizes countries established by use of terrorism, the act of terrorism is a legitimate method of enacting political change.
Do you have a better wording for the significance of your post?

Another thing, could you clarify another one of your views:
quote:
The word terrorist is merely a propaganda tool; the term "freedom fighter" is equally valid for the same person, the only difference being the speaker's point of view.
Is the above a valid paraphrase, or do you have a better one?

All I want to know is... does ANY of that mean anything of significance? Because I honestly can't find anything relevant to well ... anything in your post. Please inform me further, I really want to understand what you're trying to tell me.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2005 14:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
... the usual drivel ... if you really want to know, see above

Once again the ASSM tries to put words into my mouth, this time by removing 2
quote:
Sadly, no.
I was not defending terrorists, I simply pointed out that the original posters "terrorists never succeed" assertion was factually incorrect.

I refuse to be drawn any further into a pointless 'debate' with a thinking-impaired troll.

--------------------

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2005 15:22      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why I'm so unsettled by the events of last Thursday, but I am...

To quote William Congreve:
"Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast,
To soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak"

...and so it goes...

Finding some strange comfort in this song particularly, I don't know why...

-----

Jim White "Static On The Radio"
http://www.luakabop.com/jim_white/

3am Iím awakened by a sweet summer rain...
Distant howling of a passing southbound coal train
Was I dreaming or was there someone just lying here beside me in this bed?
Am I hearing things?
Or in the next room, did a long forgotten music box just start playing?
And I know itís a sin putting words in the mouths of the dead
And I know itís a crime to weave your wishes into what they said
And I know only fools venture where them spirits tread
ĎCause I know every word, every sound bouncing Ďround my head
Is just static on the radio
Everything I think I know is just static on the radio

Midnight rendezvous with a pretty girl, wearing a torn and tear-stained gown
Like a ghost ship she appeared from nowhere on a lonely highway and flagged me down
I gave her a lift downtown to the Greyhound station and in the flicker of the neon lights she kissed me goodbye, and in the mirror of her eyes
I saw my own reflection
And I know the blind will sometimes lead the blind
And I know through shadow lands and troubled times
And I know forsaking love, we seek the signs
And I know of truths forever hid behind
The static on the radio

Now thereís a church house about a stoneís throw down from this place where I been staying
Itís Sunday morning, and Iím sittiní in my truck listening to my neighbor sing
Ten years ago I might have joined in, but donít time change those inclined to think less of what is written than whatís wrote between the lines?
ĎCause I know dreams are for those who are asleep in bed
And I know itís a sin putting words in the mouths of the dead
ĎCause I know for all my ruminations I canít change a thing
Still I hope thereís others out there who are listening
To the static on the radio
Ainít praying for miracles, Iím just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
Everything I think I know is just static on the radio...

------

Meanwhile, distantly, I hear fireworks going off... at least, I think (hope) it's fireworks going off...

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 10, 2005 09:59      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Once again the ASSM tries to put words into my mouth, this time by removing 2
quote:
Sadly, no.

Fine, I'll put those two words back in the quote.
quote:
Sadly, no. History has many examples of terrorist tactics being used successfully. The formation of Israel, for example, ...

You just said Israel was formed by the successful use of terrorist tactics. It translates the same as it did without the first two words.

Encyclopedias say Israel was formed by an act of the United Nations.

quote:
I was not defending terrorists

Oh, I guess you aren't. You're justifying the motives of anyone who uses terrorism, as long as it's against Jews and a few other nations.

You deliberately post lies. If you say:
quote:
The United Nations is a terrorist organization which created Israel.
... then you have some credibility. However, as long as you contradict established facts such as "the UN formed Israel," you are spreading propaganda to support terrorism.

Of course, in your defense, maybe you can prove that the UN had nothing to do with the formation of Israel.

EDIT: I read that the UN was responsible for the formation of Israel. If someone other than TFD or Cap'n Vic can explain what TFD meant by Israel being formed by terrorist tactics, please do so immediately because my current opinion of him is extremely low. (PM's may be best.)

--------------------

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 12:46      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See Wikipedia articles: Irgun
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 14:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASShole, you really are a sad, pathetic little git.

Scores of people are dead, hundreds horribly injured, (including, almost certainly, some of my former workmates) and you're sitting in your little room, rubbing your hands in glee, thinking "ho ho, here's an opportunity to start another shitfight with TFD. I'll just twist his words beyond all recognition and claim he's supporting terrorists"

You are beneath contempt.

--------------------

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 15:36      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I apologize for my ignorance. I thought the UN formation of Israel was more civil. After all, they're supposed to solve problems in a diplomatic manner. GMx, thanks for the mainstream reference.

I view the bombings in London and so many other cities with just as much contempt as the Sept 11 attacks. For the sake of civility, I'll say nothing else on the matter.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 15:38      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 19:54      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
EDIT: I read that the UN was responsible for the formation of Israel. If someone other than TFD or Cap'n Vic can explain what TFD meant by Israel being formed by terrorist tactics, please do so immediately because my current opinion of him is extremely low. (PM's may be best.)

Um, why the hell do I have to explain anything about Israel?

Have I ever mentioned Israel in this thread (or EVER) on this board.

Seriously dude, you are fucking pathetic....every thread you ever post in always comes down to the same thing - a shit show. I liked it much better when you weren't posting.

Nobody likes you. Nobody agrees with you. So why don't you go find a right-wing-Bush-ass-kissing-white-supremacist board somewhere. Huh?

We'd all be much happier.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
QuantumEffervescence
Geek Apprentice
Member # 1797

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 03:26      Profile for QuantumEffervescence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It saddens me greatly that there is so much hate and ignorance in the world.

My heart goes out to the victims and their families. [Frown]

--------------------
"It does not do harm to the mystery to know a little about it. Far more marvelous is the truth than any artists of the past imagined!"
- Richard Feynman

Posts: 48 | From: Earth...most of the time | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 06:17      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know he doesn't post anymore, but does anyone still hear from Cheezi Git? I PM'd him last week thinking he'd get a notice in his email and perhaps answer it, but I didn't receive a response. Hope he's ok.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 07:24      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want to get ASM all fired up again, but I have to say that I would have more faith in his and the US administration's current enthusiasm for persuing terrorists, if it wasn't so very long ago that US dollars were the main source of funds behind Sinn Fein/IRA and their bombing campaigns here in the UK. At that time not upsetting the domestic Irish vote was very much more important than people being blown apart in London, and Margaret Thatcher's "special" relationship with Reagan counted for nothing. I sometimes wonder whether, and how quickly, this war against terror would evaporate, if US citizens were to start feeling more secure in their own country.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 07:56      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading this and related similar articles from a variety of papers, it makes me wonder what information makes an incident "right" or "wrong" 10 years later? If W had been President of the US in 1995, would this tragedy have happened? Some say he is too quick and aggressive and greedy. Maybe they're right, maybe not. How do we know what is really behind the war?

What we have is a lot of speculation and villifying in the media. Their business is to sell advertizing. So how do you decide what is
truth in all this mess?

The real trick, it seems to me, is to figure out
what constitutes justice and work towards that.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 10:50      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I don't want to get ASM all fired up again.

You don't, and neither do the vast majority of GC members. Cap'n Vic and TFD are "different."

Now that I've read the wikipedia article on Irgun. I still maintain that TFD misrepresented "how" Israel was formed.

Israel exists by a direct act of the United Nations. That's a fact. While Irgun did exist and was categorized as a terrorist organization by the British, it is absurd to think "terrorism" cowed the UN into making Israel a sovereign state.

* Irgun support Allied efforts against Nazi forces during WWII.
* Mainstream Jewish politics fought Irgun, an example being "The Hunting Season." In other words, the Jews didn't force the British to go it alone against "terrorists."
* Irgun was willing to exercise restraint in order to avoid civil war.
    (In other words, the threat posed by Irgun was minimal.)

The formation of Israel by the UN was an effort to promote peace by putting the Jews in one place where they could live under their laws and having the Arabs live under their own laws in another place. Keeping two groups with clear animosity towards each other together had a proven history of sustaining "discord."

If Cap'n Vic or TFD want to criminalize this act of the UN, go right ahead. [Roll Eyes]

TFD has a talent for blurring the use of terms until they become meaningless. He uses innuendo and never clarifies his statements because it would create the risk of self-incrimination. Cap'n Vic, on the other hand, allows his unrestrained anger lead him into doing and saying stupid things.

Trying to figure out TFD's stand on terrorism from his statements:
    1. Any attack by a politically driven organization which kills innocent people is terrorism.
    2. All wars have political elements and kill innocent people.
    3. All nations and societies have been engaged in war at some point in history.
Therefore, it's racist to accuse others of terrorism, because everyone's just as guilty.

Now, TFD will not clarify his beliefs on "terrorist" involvement of Britain against Dresden, or Muslim extremist attacks against London or Bali.

Maybe he's an anarchist that opposed every human organization, even a small primitive tribe with some kind of leader would be certain to result in some tyranny and abuse of power.

--------------------

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 11:37      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I've remained silent long enough.
The fault of the bombing lies on the shoulders of the bombers. period.

The bombers are sick, and that isn't an excuse. Anyone willing to intentionally kill massive amounts of innocent people is sick. That doesn't remove any guilt from them.

quote:
There are plenty of free societies in the world like Canada, Switzerland Sweden etc. These countries enjoy greater freedoms than their American cousins...
Blah Blah Balh...
But none of them a "superpower." Impacting the hearts and minds of superpower makes more people pay attention. We're the biggest country in the world, and most Americans wouldn't pay much mind if it happened in Canada or Switxerland -- where as people in most other countries pay attention to what happens arround the world. We also have more airports to crash into, more airplans to highjack and up untill 9-11 some of the weakest protections to secure them... But, none of that had anything to do with it.

quote:
After everything is blown up in Iraq, the Administration will sole source massive contracts
Everything is already being rebuilt. Companies are starting to send engineers over there to help rebuild. My mother, a geotechnical engineer, is working at a comany looking for volunteers to help in the reconstruction.

My uncle just back from his second tuor to Iraq; he dropped off new support and brought home a bunch of troups. On the way there, month ago, they were delayed because of the tsunami reilf. He's in charge of 5 giant hovercraft, they are used to land troups/tanks/supplies where there isn't a port. They were ideal in getting food and medical supplies to people farthure inland because they couldn't land traditional boats.

quote:
The stupid and the poor
Which of those is my Uncle?

quote:
get sent off into battle as they are really a burden on society anyways. Even if they die owing money on student loans it is worth it for the sake of democracy.
The goverment payed for Uncle's college, and is paying for my best friend's. He started as a grunt and is now an officer. His 30 is almost up, and he's trying to get reassigned to a place where they won't give him the boot at the end of his tenure.

Anyone who can look at the mass graves Saddam burried in the desert and say that world is better with him in power is an idiot. Anyone who thinks that people of Iraq having voted for more than one canidate in a democratic election is a bad thing, is an idiot. I, personally, think that the US has done a good thing but it's time to start bringing more of them home.

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 11:49      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
I know he doesn't post anymore, but does anyone still hear from Cheezi Git? I PM'd him last week thinking he'd get a notice in his email and perhaps answer it, but I didn't receive a response. Hope he's ok.

I believe I recall spungo saying cheezi is out of the country.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture