homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » London Underground Bombed (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: London Underground Bombed
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 07, 2005 04:31      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6 stations of the London Underground have been almost simultaneously bombed. 3 double decker buses have also been bombed. Reports of a high number of casualities and fatalities.

This is coinciding with the G8 conference which is supposed to discuss the issue of poverty and the climate changes and its impact.

What a disguisting act.

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 05:12      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could our Londoners please check in? Cheezi? Spungo? Anyone????
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 05:19      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, please check in. Hey-U?? Spungo, cheezi?

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 05:47      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boo.

The cheez be in France at the mo. Divint naw aboot Hey-U... cell phone networks are down anyway...

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 05:50      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ghaaahhhh....

It is currently 1:40pm GMT here and I have only just become aware of the London bombings....

Like me I suspect many other UK GCers are busily working away in their places of employment.

London is an hour by train from me but in my younger years I used to commute to London by train (Liverpool Street) and tube so I know most of the areas bombed personally.

This is a horrible outrage obviously perpetrated by some terrorist group but for what purpose I wouldn't like to say.

To be honest I think most of us knew it wasn't so much *if* such an attack happens as *when* and I am really quite surprised this hasn't happened earlier (not that that diminishes my shock and disgust)

[Mad]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 06:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn it. [Frown]

To all our Londoners and English posters: I'm sorry your city has had to go through this. I hope all is well for you and your loved ones.

Cheers,
dragon

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 06:51      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you guys are okay. I was suprised and relieved the death toll is so low at least so far. The pictures are so shocking, you feared worse. Hugs to all
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 06:59      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's a shock. Especially just after the results of the Olympic Bid were announced, and all the Londoners were feeling so proud... [Frown]
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 08:23      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spungo, thanks for letting us know you're ok.
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 08:42      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:

I don't think anyone has ever said spungo was ok.

Has anyone/group claimed responsibity yet (sorry I am on PST only 08:41 here)

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 09:05      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Ah, shucks! [Happytears] If it weren't for you and Snupes I'd still be under the impression that the only thing folks would remember of me would be an unpleasant smell. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted July 07, 2005 09:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] such terrible news. Our thoughts and sympathies go out to the victims and their families, and to Londoners and UKers.

[Mad]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 09:52      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:

I don't think anyone has ever said spungo was ok.

According to CNN a previously unknown group calling itself the "Secret al Qaeda Organization in Europe" has claimed responsibility.

As for Spungo being ok, well, physically ok is really what I meant. We all know he's not mentally ok. I didn't think I had to be specific. [Wink]

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 09:54      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was stunned to read this this morning.

Sending out my best wishes to all.

And my concern is out for all the GCer's that are out there.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 09:58      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

Yeah, some group related to Al Quaeda, according to Radio-Canada/CBC. Although I somehow doubt it. I haven't seen many images, but from the moment I heard about it, I had a feeling it isn't any "large scale" attack, but a few home-made bombs of limited power just set to explode at the same time by a small group of extremist nutters. (Aditu's comment about low number of casualities goes toward that, too, but I haven't found any estimation yet, so I can't vouch for that.) On the other hand, I could very well be wrong, my 6th sense is far from perfect.

Also, chances are there is no relation to the Olympics coming to London, but much more with the opening of the G8 summit.

I feel that Blair leaving the summit sends the wrong message - that those terrorist actions can affect countries. I know it's hard not to act emotional in such circumstances, yet I feel it would be much more effective a message: "we don't fear you." But that's my opinion.

Anyway, hope every GCers in that area are safe, and their families too. And I wish not too many people will stay scarred forever by those nutters' actions.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted July 07, 2005 10:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I woke up, turned on the radio, and heard about it on my favorite music station. [Frown] There's no words...

Someone was saying this was because of the Olympics, but 24 hours isn't enough time to plan an attack on this scale.

Blair did what he needed to do by going back to London to deal with the immediate aftermath. Last I heard he was heading back up to Scotland. It's his country that's hosting the bloody summit, so he needs to be there, and it's his country that's been attacked, so he needs to go back and talk to his ministers as well. If they G8 summit got canned completely I'd say they were caving to terrorists, but for Blair to return to London for a few hours to deal with a tragedy like this is good leadership and politics on his part. He's the Prime Minister after all.

<mini-rant>
Such a safe place Bush and Blair have made this sorry-ass world...

What gets me is how reactive we are in this so-called war on terror. To fight this thing, shouldn't we be anticipating the terrorists and not patching the holes they find after a tragedy strikes? We aren't winning folks. We aren't even learning (anyone remember Madrid?). Today showed us that.
</mini-rant>

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 10:18      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:

Ah, shucks! [Happytears] If it weren't for you and Snupes I'd still be under the impression that the only thing folks would remember of me would be an unpleasant smell. [Wink]
Well, that, too. [Wink]

Glad you're ok.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 11:04      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been listening to the BBC since I got back to my desk. The death toll has gone up since I first heard. Those poor families.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 12:14      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The theory I heard was that it was to embarass Blair in front of the G8. Couldn't they pie him or squirt water at him or call him names instead?!?! MAN!! Why kill innocent people?!??! Why EVER kill innocent people??!??! Why ever KILL at all?!?!?

The circle of violence on all sides seems to be well underway. I'm not a Christian, but I believe in Jesus' message that violence will destroy us. We've been ignoring that message for too long. [weep]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 12:18      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I woke up and turned on the TV, it was the first thing I saw. One of my best friends was travelling to work this morning when the attacks began, and he works not five minutes from Kings Cross. It was practically impossible to get through to London on the mobile phone networks, to find out if he was okay, so there began a morning of panicked ringing and texting between people who were all wondering if others had heard from him. We eventually found out that he is fine, thank God, though obviously shaken up. It was really scary, though, to think that things could so easily have been so different, and for so many others in similar situations, they were a heck of a lot worse.

It makes me so angry. More angry than anything because right now it seems like this kind of thing will never stop happening.

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 12:27      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what they think they will have accomplished by doing this. It's just so stupid. [Mad]

I'm glad to hear that the GCers from that area are ok.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 12:32      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the first I've heard of this -- I my heart goes out to all of you across the pond.

X, Bush and Blair didn't do this -- The bombers did. Whatever "reasons" they have, the reason is because they are sick.

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 13:29      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:

X, Bush and Blair didn't do this -- The bombers did. Whatever "reasons" they have, the reason is because they are sick.

By saying that they are sick, you are giving them an excuse for their actions. It's much like saying Hitler killed all those people because he was crazy. It gives him the ability to dodge reponsibility for one of the most effective mass slaughtering of humans in history. And he knew exactly what he was doing.

As for it not being Bush and Blairs' fault, I hold George Bush and his entire regime responsible for every death [be it innocent civilian, Iraqi citizen, U.S. military personnel, etc.] that has occured on and since 9/11. If their greedy, oil-hungry asses hadn't gone fscking around with other countries' internal affairs, none of this would have ever happened.

Edit: Take /that/ Godwin's Law.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 13:38      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
It was practically impossible to get through to London on the mobile phone networks, to find out if he was okay, so there began a morning of panicked ringing and texting between people who were all wondering if others had heard from him.

Apparently, GSM networks are turned off in a situation like this to allow emergency-related people to use the bandwidth. I was wondering whether or not that idea is really effective. Isn't it possible to use other bands for emergency services and allow the public to attempt (albiet, all at the same time) to contact loved ones? (<--edit: punctuation)

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 14:42      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/

http://www.andrewsullivan.com/

38 dead, 700 injured

Does *anyone* anywhere have any idea what these attacks were supposed to achieve? Because I don't...

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture