homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - Great White North

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five - Great White North
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2005 09:33      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlic Guy helped me out this week. ::wave to Garlic Guy:: This belated Friday Five is a tribute to the Great White North

1. Who is your favourte Canadian singer/band?

2. Favourite Canadian Author?

3. Favourite place to visit in Canada or a place you always wanted to visit?

4. Favourite member of SCTV or other Canadian funny person?

5. Favourite thing about Canada?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 13:10      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Who is your favourte Canadian singer/band? Robbie Robertson

2. Favourite Canadian Author? Corny as it sounds LM Montgomery.

3. Favourite place to visit in Canada or a place you always wanted to visit? I love going to Stratford Ontario for the Shakespeare Festival. Just a place - Peggy's Cove.

4. Favourite member of SCTV or other Canadian funny person? How can I not pick Moranis and Thomas. It isn't Christmas without hearing the 12 beers of Christmas.

5. Favourite thing about Canada? Good museums

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 15:22      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Guess Who (American Woman - long version)

2. Favourite Canadian Author? Arthur Hailey

3. Favourite place to visit in Canada or a place you always wanted to visit? Bloodvein River in Ontario

4. Favourite member of SCTV or other Canadian funny person? Martin Short

5. Favourite thing about Canada? The "'da"? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 15:56      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm afraid that the only one I can do this week is number two: Robertson Davies.

I also heard that one of my favourite authors ever - John Irving - has recently moved to Canada, but I can't find any confirmation on this.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 16:09      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skinny Puppy

Sorry not a book reader

Toronto but haven't been there since the 80s

Rick Moranis

The Joy Of Tech and Nettwerk Records.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 16:55      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:

1. Who is your favourte Canadian singer/band? Arrogant Worms/Pirates of the Saskatchewan.

Not sure...

Yukon Territory.

I seldom watch TV.

Fishing for salmon.

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2005 06:12      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rush and Sarah Mclachlan.

Spider Robinson!

Yonge Street. I've spent only 3 nights in Canada, so I haven't got past Yonge Street yet.

Bob Young.

Favorite thing about Canada: constitutionally protected status of medical marijuana.

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2005 06:59      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil Young

Margaret Atwood

Would like to visit the Canadian Rockies

Eugene Levy and/or John Candy

Universal Health Insurance

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2005 10:44      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The Tragically Hip

Farley Mowat

I've been coast to coast to coast, all provinces and Territories, but have yet to make it to Vancouver Island so watch out S and N one day I'll come knocking on your door.

Jim Carry, the early years - Fire Marshall Bill ruled!

Clean air and water, open spaces and the fact the rest of the world doesn't hate us enough to fly planes into our buildings. Oh, and it really is 'The true North strong and free.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2005 14:27      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of what I've heard - Joni Mitchell or Neil Young

Probably Douglas Coupland (I haven't read any Margaret Atwood yet)

Québec City (haven't been there yet)

Eugene Levy - very underrated

It has a social conscience, or at least it seems to from an outsider.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2005 15:20      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, Margaret Atwood - the author of The Handmaid's Tale, the only set text I enjoyed while studying A Level English Literature.

I'd forgotten about her.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2005 00:18      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This belated Friday Five is a tribute to the Great White North

It's a beauty way to go! [Big Grin]

Rush...they fall into one of my favorite genres of music, progressive rock. But I can't listen to "Countdown" (from Signals) anymore, it's just too painful. The day the Columbia burned up on reentry, I went into the computer room, started that track playing, and cranked the volume, tears flowing from my eyes. Pamela came in to ask me to turn it down; I shook my head "no." Afterwards, I explained to her, "Any other track, on any other day, I would have turned it down. But not that track, not today."

Spider Robinson. His Callahan's Place series have been a longtime favorite of mine, and have influenced my hosting of Socrates' Bar & Grill over at Electric Minds. I even "borrowed" The Machine from Jake Stonebender long enough to "build" a duplicate, with my own improvements added, such as a touchscreen UI hooked to a database to allow me to keep track of everyone's prescription. All Linux-based, of course. [Smile] (If you don't know what The Machine is, it could best be described as the world's ultimate coffee maker. In fact, comparing an ordinary coffee maker to The Machine is like comparing an Atari 2600 to an Xbox 360.)

Never been to Canada, but my father and stepmother went to Banff on their honeymoon, and I'd like to see what they thought was so great about it. Also I'd like to pay a vitit to one of our longtime EMinders in Grande Prairie, Alberta, and see the country around there. Maybe while I'm in the area, I could swing by Edmonton and take in an Oilers game, assuming the NHL is running again anytime soon. And I'd also like to visit the big mall where they practice.

One of my favorite groups of funny Canadians is a group called "The Frantics." They do radio comedy, and their best known sketches are "Last Will And Temperament" and "Ti Kwan Leep," both featuring the trademark line "Boot to the head!" I first heard of them through Dr. Demento, which a friend of mine in high school used to tape on Sunday nights using a very carefully-tuned radio to pick up KMET from Los Angeles.

Two things: (a) That my wife's family came from there (the St. Lawrence River valley, en route from Normandy to New England), and (b) that they were nice enough to let Denver have the Quebec Nordiques (complete with Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg) and didn't complain too loudly when, as the Colorado Avalanche, they immediately won the Stanley Cup. (I've been watching a bunch of the old games on Altitude Classics...)

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2005 17:51      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cowboy Junkies...47 more days till I go see them play.

Douglas Coupland. (Margaret Atwood and her boring-arse tomes are the bane of many students or former students across Canada.)

Gulf Islands. Love the island life.

Stuart McLean. Not a comedian per se, but the man cracks me up like you wouldn't believe.

Hard to name just one. It's home and I love it.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture