homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - the million dollar question (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Friday Five - the million dollar question
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2005 16:19      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Who do you call first?
No one... it's all mine! J/k. GF, best friend or mother... not sure of the order, suppose it depends on when/where I am when it happens.

2. What is the first thing you buy for yourself?
Computer(s), (pay off debt), and then office space and supplies for new bussiness I'd start. Supplies and office space wouldn't include fancy desks and leather chairs -- but folding tables or cheap desks and simple chairs. The real money would go towards the resources to make the buissness work. I'd also buy my self a fixer-upper to live in (with GF) and we'd flip the property (fix it and then sell it).

3. What is the first thing you buy for someone else?
Finish paying off Mother's house and car.
Finish paying off Grandmother's house and car.
Ring.

4. Do you give any away? If yes, to whom?
I'd give a little money to family and friends to start with, but I'd hold off on giving to charities. After, I've made a bit more off of the use of the first million, would I start to donate -- but I'd like to make my contributions last. I would eventually set up a few investments (in companies that do good deeds) where the dividends would go to charitable orginizations.

And I would put the investments in my will to contuinue (perhaps increasing it. I would give the bussiness I start to my family and freinds (along with personal posesstions and enough money to make them all comfortable), and donate the rest to good causes.

5. Do you invest any? If so, how?
I would invest whatever I don't readily need this instant, and sink it into a number of companies. I know I'd invest in (among others):
- Walmart
- id Software

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2005 06:40      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have just won one million dollars:
My best friend Edwina.

A flat somewhere in Bristol, and a car. Gizmos and gadgets come later [Big Grin] .

Pay off my parents' mortgage, set up university funds for my brother and sister.

I would give as much as I could spare to a cancer research charity.

I would invest in my friend Carlos, a Cuban with grand designs of how to bring freedom and prosperity to his country. He's an amazing engineer who has won a few grants from international student competitions and the like, but he needs that much extra to get his business up and running...

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2005 06:53      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
You have just won one million dollars:
the girlfriend

lunch

dinner

i'd give about half to the government. And by give, i mean, they'd take it.

I'd invest is real estate, probably by buying a new home and paying off my current mortgage. Then I'd turn my current home into a rental.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
MrMachineCode
Alpha Geek
Member # 609

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2005 18:59      Profile for MrMachineCode     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
[QB] You have just won one million dollars:

(...)

Complete body restoration on my VW Microbus (~$10.000)

Two things:

Stephanie: Red 1967 Beetle (and a copy of How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive) along with one of them fancy rings with the real expensive stone in it... can't remember what it's called... starts with a d, I think...

Dad: Yellow Beetle Convertable (and a copy of How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive)

(...)

Woot! Heck yeah. I'd finally have time/money to finish turning my beat up ugly duckling 71 Super Beetle into a hot rod with all wood interior - think giant window over supercharged new turnkey engine in back, think seeing that through the spaces between the vinework in carved real WOOD seats. 200 hp in a car meant for 60.

Would love to restore a VW microbus some day but my gf would throw a fit if I got one. She says, "I hate those - they look like a giant jellybean with wheels!" I said, "Mmmm... Jellybeans..."

Actually if I got one, that would be it's name. Jellybean.

I would make a vow not to give any of the money away for at least 6 months or a year after got it, no matter how good the charity seems. The way I figure it, you'd instantly be inundated with hundreds of people asking you to give to their charity, and at the same time be at a transition in your life when you are most naive. Your money could be gone before you became wise enough to know who to give to and who was scamming. If there is someone you should give to, the legit organizations will still need the money 1 year later just as much as they do now.

Posts: 314 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2005 06:38      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, I realise that $1,000,000 would help us all quite nicely, and be a wonderful thing to win.

But am I the only one who's slightly distraught at how much $1,000,000 isn't in today's day and age? Buy a half decent house, and that's nearly half of it. Pay off some family mortgages, buy a nice car, you're probably broke.

Again, I'm not trying to say that $1,000,000 is worthless, cus it would make a huge difference in my life, that's for sure. It's just not all *that* much in the grand scheme of things. :S

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2005 08:06      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can buy a very nice house in a very nice neighborhood for $1,000,000.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2005 09:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:

That'd be pretty foolish, though - where would you get the money to maintain it, and pay property taxes?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2005 09:27      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Depends on where you are. Here in the East Bay, half a million will get you a small house in an area where you might not get robbed. The full million will get you a decent house in a good area (but still miles away from work). To get a very nice house in a very nice area would probably take two million.

All of a sudden moving to Kansas doesn't seem so bad. If only there were more jobs than Wal*Mart...

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2005 10:33      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Edit*
The browser stopped halfway through posting

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2005 10:38      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

That'd be pretty foolish, though - where would you get the money to maintain it, and pay property taxes?
Real Estate value tends to be higher where the property tax rate is lower. That doesn't mean that you could end up paying more or less taxes than anywhere else. That all depends on the tax assessment. In my area, tax assessments aren't nearly half the market value of the house.

California is an exception to the rule, when it comes to million dolllar homes.

Also, California has both a higher cost of living and i higher per capita income that most of the nation.

Interest rates are actually lower this year than the same time last year, so the average household is able to buy more house. This, plus speculation is driving up home prices in many areas.

--------------------

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2005 13:48      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well next time I'll up the ante. LOL
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 29, 2005 18:25      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrMachineCode:
I would make a vow not to give any of the money away for at least 6 months or a year after got it, no matter how good the charity seems. The way I figure it, you'd instantly be inundated with hundreds of people asking you to give to their charity, and at the same time be at a transition in your life when you are most naive. Your money could be gone before you became wise enough to know who to give to and who was scamming. If there is someone you should give to, the legit organizations will still need the money 1 year later just as much as they do now.

That's really good advice and I intend to follow it.

--------------------
"love without fear"

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture