homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - the million dollar question (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Friday Five - the million dollar question
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 10:11      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was buying a Powerball ticket earlier and thought this might make a good Friday Five.

You have just won one million dollars:

1. Who do you call first?

2. What is the first thing you buy for yourself?

3. What is the first thing you buy for someone else?

4. Do you give any away? If yes, to whom?

5. Do you invest any? If so, how?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 10:12      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably my brother. Then you'd need to see a lawyer and find out if you can collect without telling the world who you are. Especially if you won more than a million. Sad isn't it.

Probably a new car. My Saturn is wonderful, but 11 years old. Or maybe pay off the house.

What stinky answers. It would have been different a couple years ago. LOL Trips around the world, etc.

I'd love to help my brother and best friend buy a house.

I would probably give some to animal organizations. I've always wanted to start a nursing scholarship in my mom's name.

Probably, but I'm not sure how. I lost a bunch (at least to me LOL) in the tech crash, so I haven't been very adventurous in my regular savings lately.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 10:16      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

My soon to be ex-wife [Wink]

Hair plugs, lyposuction and a keg of Sleeman Cream Ale.

24 pack of Rough rider condoms. Ribbed, for her pleasure.

Any Haitian shemale prostitute I wake up with.

AIDS research.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 11:28      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Probably my parents, though I may decide to call the job to say I quit, in order to complete my master degree, then perhaps add a PHD, full-time.

Pay back mortgage, get myself a car (or two? Fortwo and Saab convertible? [Big Grin] ), a silent violin and a few other toys, but nothing over the top, really.

I might pay my parent's mortgage, give a few grands to my brothers, set up university funds for my god-daughters, that kind of things.

You mean, charity and the like? Cause apart my family, I might give some to organizations helping underpriviledged children .

Yes I would. I would set a part for higher risk investments (in the hope of getting filthy rich, yet knowing I might never see that money again), but probably put a nice chunk in revenue funds, so I wouldn't be living only on the capital. So, apart from some cash and liquidities set aside for short-term spending, most of what I wouldn't spend and give right away would get invested.

Now, if I were to win a multi-million jackpot, I would probably buy an old multi-story factory, fit it as my home for the upper stairs, and set my own artificial intelligence research lab on the ground floor. Who wants to work for me? [Wink] (Who has a few millions to waste on making my dream come true? [crazy] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 12:00      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fiance'.

I would trade in my car for a Tahoe XL and pay cash for that.

I would buy my fiance' a new truck.

I would give some to the Southwest Indian Foundation, or more specifically, the St. Michael's Indian School.

It's only a million dollars. After buying vehicles, building a new house and paying off bills, I doubt there would be much left.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 12:04      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

My husband. We're rich! [Big Grin]

A house.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! That's funny. I live in the bay area. I'd be lucky if I had enough left over after buying the house to get a pack of gum!

See number 3.

See number 3.

[Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 12:08      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

My Mom.

A house, a car.

Some replacement windows for my Mom's house.

As much as I'd like to, 1 mil is pretty much chump change these days, so after buying the above things, there probably wouldn't be much left.

As much as possible. Some in Mutual funds, T-Bills, nothing too risky.

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 14:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Probably my folks.

A house, iBook, Thinkpad, and some fine networking kit. I already have a very functional car - that can wait a bit.

Hmm...good question. Maybe that colo server that I've been talking about getting with a friend?

Yes, to the EFF, probably to the FSF as well (though RMS rubs me the wrong way, though - sorry Demosthenes). Also to some good other charitable organizations - possibly even the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. [Razz] (Seriously, they do very good work.) Oh yeah...and to my local library! (Folks...remember your library!)

Yeah, like GMx said - as much as possible. A decent percent of it in safe investments, but some in higher growth investments, to be moved to safe means later.

P.S.
Additional question:
Would you quit your job?

My answer: Probably not - in the short term, anyway. Getting a sudden influx of cash in not a good reason to go spending loads of it immediately - it'll be quickly gone that way. I'd just assume go on with business as usual for the most part, and just enjoy an extra thing or two.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 14:51      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

My wife.

Pay off the house and all my other bills.

Put our parents into homes of their own. And maybe create nest eggs for the rugrats.

Charity wise probably not. Family yes.

More than likely I would be broke after all the other stuff. But if I did I would actually consider starting my own business. I mean that is what most of us want right? A career that we control.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 15:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My travel agent

A really good holiday.

I'm sure Mrs Druid will guide me in that decision.

Mrs Druid and I have a couple of favourite charities, I'd aim to give maybe $100k.

I'd probably go with a diversified share portfolio, and maybe a bit of residential real-estate. Boring, but safe.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 17:36      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Girlfriend, parents
M3 convertible. Silver with black leather. Or a charcoal Z4 with black leater. Depends on how much i give to others
Birthday present for my mom
Some, whichever local charity strikes my heart first
300k (USD) or so in a general FDIC savings acct (like 3% interest)
the rest in safe bets, eg mutual funds, companies like coke and disney

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 17:45      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

That would be my parents, followed by my investment manager to see how I could invest it properly.

Easy. Harley-Davidson Low Rider, my dream bike.

I would by something for my parents, a holiday to thank them for all they have done for me.

Ah, charity, well that is the big question. Probably to 'Medecins sans frontières' for all the good they do.

I would invest as much as possible because I know what it means to be without anything to fall back upon.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 24, 2005 17:51      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(1) I wouldn't call anybody for a while. First I would go somewhere away from the world where nobody would bother me, and I would think for a while. Like, the observation deck of the Empire State Building, or a nice bench in Central Park.

(2) A bag of razor blades. I would shave my head. That would help kick me out of my current groove and into the new groove.

Beyond that, I would probably move to a different neighborhood. I don't have one in mind though.

(3) Some plane tickets to visit Mom and Dad, because they like to see me and they are getting a bit old to travel themselves. I might get some more time with (1) on that.

(4) Sure. I don't have a million dollars today, yet I give money to charity.

It's actually very hard to find good charities. Everybody writes nice stories in their brochures, but I want more than a warm fuzzy feeling and a tax deduction. There are consumer guides and web sites and magazines out the wazoo to help me buy a cell phone or a pair of running shoes, but precious little to help me spend $100 and see that starving people actually get dozens of pounds of nutritious food (as opposed to admin costs, political lobbying, waste and corruption at the receiving end, food that the recipients can't or won't eat, you name it).

And my pet peeve: charities that spend half the money I send them on dozens of begging letters and newsletters and membership perks.

Echoing DragonMan, I would check out the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. They are solving the same problem (on a much larger scale) so I can learn from them. And they might be so good that I would just give them my money and let them allocate it.

I would also carefully read Worth Magazine's 100 best charities. And Ask Slashdot, because out of all that chaos, some genuinely good ideas are likely to come.

Meanwhile, one of the "to whoms" is the Hudson River Park Foundation, because I get a lot of exercise in their park, and I know first-hand that they are actually running a nice park.

(5) I would invest lots of money in small biotechnology companies.

(6) I would keep my current job.

--------------------
"love without fear"

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 18:52      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

(5) I would invest lots of money in small biotechnology companies...

...like PRCS? [Wink]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2005 22:40      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wife to tell her to quit her job

One-way ticket overseas

One-way ticket overseas

Yes. I'd find that one charity where 95% of all donations actually go to the work they do (rather than bureaucracy)

Yup. I'd have time to play the market. So buy what's hot and sell when it increases in value. Repeat.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

NOP
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3842

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2005 03:20      Profile for NOP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Saturday, but what the hey...

My bank manager.

About 548000 GBP - the dollar ain't much use to me. Actually, I might wait until the exchage rate is more in my favour.

I think I owe some beers to a few people.

Some will go to the bureau de change, some will go to the tax man [thumbsdown] .

It all gets invested. I might now retire at a decent age.

Posts: 46 | From: TL050227 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2005 04:19      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't tell anyone, actually.

Pack of Kamel Reds and a Zippo.

Harley Davidson Sportster for my father. Black. Lots of chrome.

Free Software Foundation would start getting donations from me again.

Nah, stocks and real estate aren't my thing. I'd probably buy a home, a motorcycle for myself, and a reticulated python hatchling.

ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2005 04:55      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best friend, then prolly my old roommates, then my boss.

Easy, Mercedes S65 AMG (with the 6.0L V12 with variable valve timing putting out about 740 ft-lbs of torque)

Probably a Volvo S60 R for my father. Maybe a Harley Davidson, too. Since they don't make a "HD Lowrider" I'd probably get him a Fatboy.

I'd probably give very little of it away. I'd set up a scholarship, but anyone who wants my money is gonna have to work for it. I'd give some to a few of the contributors to the OSS community, too. They do a lot of work for a lot of people for no financial gain. If it was a multimillion jackpot I would set up a nonprofit corporation whose expressed purpose is to hire people to do nothing but work on OSS.

Yes, I gotta be able to pay the bills on my new house without having to work.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2005 05:06      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChildeRoland:
Since they don't make a "HD Lowrider" I'd probably get him a Fatboy.

Ohh, now I see you must've been talking about the Dyna Glide. The FXDL is a decent bike, but it's a little small for my liking. I've known a few women who have owned Dyna Glides.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2005 08:49      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Being that my girlfriend would likely be with me when I found out, my parents.

quote:

Pay out debts and pay off the car.

quote:

My parents' mortgage, debts, and cars.

quote:

Doubtful. I'm greedy.

quote:

I'd invest in my business and my future. [Smile]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2005 15:07      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Stephanie, and the my parents.

Complete body restoration on my VW Microbus (~$10.000)

Two things:

Stephanie: Red 1967 Beetle (and a copy of How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive) along with one of them fancy rings with the real expensive stone in it... can't remember what it's called... starts with a d, I think...

Dad: Yellow Beetle Convertable (and a copy of How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive)

I'd have to, I'd just have to. I couldn't live with myself if I horded it all for myself, there's so many needy people out there, I really wish I could help them all. Not sure to whom, thoguh, and I'm not sure if it'd be better to give a huge chunk to one organization or break it up and give smaller donations to more places. I'd renew my superfandom, and become an NPR member, that's for sure.

I'd buy a small house and make constant improvements to it. Is that an investment? I'd stick some in a nice IRA or something high-yield and low-risk.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 18:29      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Oh yeah...and to my local library! (Folks...remember your library!)"

Dragonman, if I could get your fines erased for that I would. [Big Grin]

SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 20:47      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

My dad. He's paying 3/4 of a million HK dollars to get me through university as an International Student.

Skating boots.

A Seinheiser 500 headphones

I have a few friends who is in need of money. I would go to their aid first.
I would give a quarter to Amnesty International, and another quarter to Crossroads International. Crossroads is a great charity which sends needed goods around the world. They were an active contributer during the tsunami crisis.

Mutual funds... if there is any money left!

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2005 12:30      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SilverBlade: Are you talking about the Sennheiser HD500 headphones? Avoid those like a plague - they're probably the worst-sounding headphones Sennheiser ever made, almost as bad as the Sony V-X00 series. Either save a few bucks and get the HD497, or spend a bit more and go higher up their product line. Getting back to the million dollar winner question, I'm sure you'd have enough green left over to treat yourself to a nice Sennheiser Orpheus set [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2005 15:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
"Oh yeah...and to my local library! (Folks...remember your library!)"

Dragonman, if I could get your fines erased for that I would. [Big Grin]

Aditu: Thanks, but I can um...take care of that... [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture