homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - Escape the heat at the movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five - Escape the heat at the movies
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 07:29      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are variations on a set posted on the web by Bambooanime

1. What is your favorite movie of all time and why?

2. Do you re-watch movies?

3. What's your favorite movie line?

4. Who's your favorite character in film?

5. What movie scene do you love the most?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 07:36      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What is your favorite movie of all time and why? Too hard. I must admit that I bought the original Star Wars trilogy when VHS first came out and then bought it two more times for director commentaries. I'm also rather fond of English comedies though too. I also really liked the Sting when it was first released. I re-watch Friendly Persuasion often.

2. Do you re-watch movies? Yes, I also re-read books.

3. What's your favorite movie line? "Serpentine Shelly, serpentine" as they are being shot at the airport from the original In Laws. That line from Fried Green Tomatoes too when she hits the young girl's car "I'm older and I have more insurance."

4. Who's your favorite character in film? I know this sounds odd, but he did such a great job with Gollum. And I also like the character of Gregory in Gregory's Girl.

5. What movie scene do you love the most? The hopping scene in Truely Maddly Deeply

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 07:51      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

'Withnail and I'. Well, if you need to ask why...

Most definitely. I make a point of watching 'The Exorcist' at least once a day. [Smile]

"Your Mother sucks c**ks in Hell, Karras!"

Benoit from 'Man Bites Dog', for sure.

The 'zombie snog' scene outside the local shops in 'Shaun of the Dead'.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 08:14      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What is your favorite movie of all time and why? - it keeps changing, but right now it is Before Sunrise ... because I am sentimental, and secretly wish that sort of thing would happen to me [Razz]

2. Do you re-watch movies? - Usually I'll go see something in the cinema, then rent it when it comes out on DVD. And then if I really love it, I'll buy the DVD.

3. What's your favorite movie line? - "Do you like apples? Yeah? Well, I got her number - how do you like them apples?"

4. Who's your favorite character in film? - Mario from Il Postino.

5. What movie scene do you love the most? - the scene at the end of Good Will Hunting when Chuckie goes to Will's door to pick him up and finds that he's not there

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 12:11      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It is the most perfect movie, lots of creativity, humor, varying scenes. I even named my son after one of the characters.

Absolultely! I have at least 100 DVDs right now and they all get watched numerous times.

"You gotta learn to laugh, it's the way to true love." -- John Travolta in Michael

Hmmmm...I think it's a tie, between Turkish and Bricktop from Snatch.

Again, we return to Ferris Bueller's Day Off, when Matthew Broderick (Ferris) is sitting next to the pool with Alan Ruck (Cameron) in the background, and Ferris says, "Cameron has never been in love - at least, nobody's ever been in love with him. If things don't change for him, he's gonna marry the first girl he lays, and she's gonna treat him like shit, because she will have given him what he has built up in his mind as the end-all, be-all of human existence. She won't respect him, 'cause you can't respect somebody who kisses your ass. It just doesn't work." [Razz]

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 12:19      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Empire Strikes Back, closely followed by Blade Runner and High Fidelity.

Usually, but only with other people.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Hannibal Lecter, or Roy Batty.

Spock's death in "Wrath Of Khan," the knife fight at the end of "Dune."

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 14:04      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fight Club, i have watched that movie a million times, and every time i watch it i get the same feeling of wanting to go out and cause social anarchy.

Only if they are good, or if i have it on dvd and mi madre wants to watch it

Mmmm! Goddamn, Jimmie! This is some serious gourmet shit! Usually, me and Vince would be happy with some freeze-dried Taster's Choice, but he springs this serious GOURMET shit on us! What flavor is this?

Tyler Durden
Vincent Vega

Pulp Fiction start to end [Big Grin]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 15:11      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it might be Lord of the Rings.

Definitely. A good movie has a different feel when you already know it.

"Every man dies, not every man really lives." William Wallace's character in Braveheart

Hmmm, maybe Indiana Jones. He's intelligent and gets to travel the world and see and do a lot of amazing things.

Charging Fort Wagner in Glory.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 16:03      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Sometimes it's "The Seven Samurai", sometimes it's "La Grande Illusion", today it's "Andrei Rubliev". Of newer films I loved "Lost In Translation". All these movies have images that haunt your imagination for reasons you cannot explain.

Of course, and the best movies (as above) are different and fresh every time you watch them.

Unfair question. Films aren't about words, and a lot of my favourite films don't have much dialogue. One of my favourite film actors, Warren Oates, gave an absolutely spellbinding performance as a character who takes a vow of silence in the film "Cockfighter". But if you push me maybe something from one of those Ben Hecht scripted 30's screwball comedies "I close the iron door!" or "I want to go away and die alone like an elephant."

I am not sure, but one of my favourite movie stars was Burt Lancaster. I loved the way he combined strength and gentleness, and a massive physical presence with an acrobat's grace.

At the moment Fred and Ginger dancing to "Isn't it a beautiful day (to get caught in the rain)", but ask me again in five minutes and it will be something completely different.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 17:42      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too many good ones, fight club, Lock Stock, and two smoking barrels, Pirates of teh Carribean. I like the first two for their styles, fight club for throwing out some interesting philosphies, Lock stock for its storytelling, and Pirates beccause of the cinematography, and hey, pirates!
And of course, anything pixar <3
Daily
I did this for a monolague once.
quote:

Bacon: Right. Let's sort the buyers from the spyers, the needy from the greedy, and those who trust me from the ones who don't, because if you can't see value here today, you're not up here shopping. You're up here shoplifting. You see these goods? Never seen daylight, moonlight, Israelite. Fanny by the gaslight. Take a bag, c'mon take a bag. I took a bag home last night. Cost me a lot more than ten pound, I can tell you. Anyone like jewelry? Look at that one there. Handmade in Italy, hand-stolen in Stepney. It's as long as my arm. I wish it was as long as something else. Don't think because these boxes are sealed up, they're empty. The only man who sells empty boxes is the undertaker, and by the look of some of you lot today, I'd make more money with me measuring tape. Here, one price. Ten pound.
Eddie: Did you say ten pound?
Bacon: Are you deaf?
Eddie: That's a bargain. I'll take one.
Bacon: Squeeze in if you can. Left leg, right leg, your body will follow. They call it walking. You want one as well, darling? You do? That's it. They're waking up. Treat the wife. Treat your friend's wife. It's a lot more fun if you don't get caught. Hold on. You want one as well? Okay, darling, show me a bit of life then. It's no good standing out there like one o'clock half-struck. Buy them, you better buy them. These are not stolen, they just haven't been paid for, and we can't get them again. They've changed the bloody locks. Here. One for you. It's no good coming back later when I've sold out. "Too late, too late" will be the cry when the man with the bargains has passed you by. If you got no money on you now, you'll be crying tears as big as October cabbages.
Eddie: Bacon, cozzers!
Bacon: Shit.

Jules from Pulp Fiction (mmmm that IS a good burger)
cant choose

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 19:03      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Philadelphia. Because every single performance was unbelievably good-from Tom Hanks as the dying lawyer set up by his boss and unfairly fired, to Denzel Washington as the homophobic ambulance chaser who becomes a better person from knowing him(watch some of his reactions in that movie-his best acting ever, I think), to Jason Robards as the unscrupulous, racist, sexist boss. The haunting Neil Young song at the end...gets me every time.

Of course!!!

Tie between

-"Wrong, a long time ago we knew each other for a short period of time; you don't know anything about me. It was easy back then. No one had a cushier berth than we did. It's not surprising our friendship could survive that. It's only out there in the real world that it gets tough." William Hurt to Tom Berenger in The Big Chill.

-"I don't know anyone who could get through the day without two or three juicy rationalizations. They're more important than sex." Jeff Goldbloom in The Big Chill

-"Smart people aren't supposed to have problems"-Ordinary People.
If any one knows the EXACT quote, please post-I'm not 100% sure how it went.

Sally in When Harry Met Sally, Maximus in Gladiator, Forrest Gump.

The scene in Philadelphia where Hanks is powerfully translating an opera to Denzel, feeling every moment, while hanging on to his I.V. bag.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 21:44      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pee-wee's Big Adventure. It's just a fun silly movie that I can watch again and again. And I never have really grown up myself.

Yes

"Everyone I know has a big but. C'mon, Simone, let's talk about *your* big but." (From Pee-wee's Big Adventure)

Indiana Jones

The scene in A Christmas Story where Randy eats like a little piggy [Big Grin]

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 22:38      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in soviet russia, you don't escape heat, it escapes YOU!

funny AND true [Wink]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2005 15:40      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crimes and Misdemeanors

Not as much as I used to. Seeing a movie once takes enough time as it is.

"That dolphin gave his life... for us" from the original Batman movie.

No Face in Spirited Away.

When No-Face begins spinning thread in Spirited Away and the good witch complements him.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2005 16:17      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What is your favorite movie of all time and why? Lola rennt (Run, Lola, Run, if you watched the dubbed English version). It's just a different style of cinematography. Kind of the same reason I liked Man on Fire and Eisbaar (sp?).

2. Do you re-watch movies? Yes. To follow a theme from above, I also re-read books, listen to CDs multiple times, and ... uh ... I've got nothing here. How else can I extend this?

3. What's your favorite movie line? "First we played Pee Wees. Now we're in the Squirts league. Do they want us to play baseball, or urinate?"

4. Who's your favorite character in film? Never thought about that. I'm too lazy to think about it now, anyway.

5. What movie scene do you love the most? The scene in Armageddon where the guy is telling NASA what they want in exchange for saving the world. The one that ends, "Oh, yeah. None of 'em wanna pay taxes anymore."

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2005 18:55      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn it, I have trouble picking a top 10, let alone a single one.
Currently, Life of Brian

Yes. I must have seen "The Incredibles" 10+ times.

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power comes from a mandate from the masses...not from some farcical aquatic ceremony".

Edna, from "The Incredibles". Damn funny.

Life of Brian definately. It has to be:
- Brian talking to the crowd (You are all individuals)
- The stoning scene (Making it worse...how much worse could it possible get!)
- The release Brian scene (Welease Wodger!)

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Maverick
Newbie Larva
Member # 4089

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2005 19:05      Profile for Maverick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top Gun, because I love everything about flying, and I enjoyed Tom Cruise's porformance in it.

Yeah, I've watched Top Gun way more times than anyone else, probably a little over 100 times [Razz]

"I feel the need, the need for speed."

Peter Griffon.. [Razz]

When Hermoine pop's Drako in the face in the third Harry Potter movie.

Posts: 5 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameGod
Geek
Member # 620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2005 08:52      Profile for GameGod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.. tough one. It will have to be tied with Gladiator, Rocky, Matrix and entire Star Wars saga.

Definitely.
"Illusions, Mr. Anderson, vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existance without meaning or purpose. All of it as artificial as the Matrix itself, although, only a human mind could create something as insipid as love."
Neo, by far, I love his character.
The final fight scene in Matrix Revolution between Neo and Smith, the director's way of doing that scene is just brilliant.

--------------------
Well...that was fun =)

Posts: 153 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2005 14:53      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taxi Driver. Very complex emotionally.

Yes, but not so much lately.

A whole bunch:
"Karl? What are you doing with that lawnmower blade?"
"I'm fixin' ta kill ya with it." -Sling Blade

"Never get out of the boat!" -Apocolypse Now

"I realize now how much she's just like the others-cold and distant. There are many people like that, women for sure. They're like a union." -Taxi Driver

"The Dude abides." -The Big Lebowski

Jeff Lebowski

I have a lot, so I can't pick just one.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2005 14:58      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
"The Dude abides." -The Big Lebowski

Good call. That quote really ties the room together. [Wink]

--------------------

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2005 06:28      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elvermere, what film is your Arthur quote from???
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2005 07:06      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be this one?

--------------------

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2005 08:13      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard one, but I know that if I was only allowed one film to watch, it would be 'The Shawshank Redeption'.

Yes, some you have to e.g. Mel Brook's; Abrahams, Zucker & Zucker, because so much is going on in the background that you miss it the first time around.

"And crawling on the planetís face some insects called the human race. Lost in time and lost in space and meaning."

None comes to mind

None really comes to mind.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2005 08:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I have many.

First ones that come to mind..

The Matrix: because it's different.
Ocean's 11 & 12: the chemistry works and its funny.

quote:

Some. The Matrix I've seen literally over 100 times. Ocean's 11 at least a few dozen. Others, not so much.

And when they come on TV, I can't help but watch them again (all movies, not just the ones listed above..)

quote:

Oh man. So many.

From Ocean's 12:

"What'd I just say?"
"You just called his niece a whore."
"A very cheap one."
"She's seven!"

quote:

Danny Ocean. [Big Grin]

quote:

No clue.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2005 10:01      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw an article on the BBC about the top 100 favourite movie lines

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4118926.stm

This is the AFI's complete list

http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/quotes.aspx#list

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture